Autosub by Forgotten Clank Studios now in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 May 2020

Try a sine wave with another synth and test. Make sure that they are at the same frequency using a spectrum.
Phill!!! You know that stuff is beyond me man hahaha. I’m just going to content myself with the fact that my guitar doesn’t ever give me this problem.

Actually that’s not true. I had a wonky potentiometer on a bass which gave extreme volume fluctuations. And I built a fuzz pedal once which sometimes doubled in volume for no reason in the middle of gigs.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

05 May 2020

r11s

eusti

05 May 2020

Love the excitement in the video! I want that! ;)

D.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

05 May 2020

eusti wrote:
05 May 2020
Love the excitement in the video! I want that! ;)
Excitement is sold separately.

Baylo

05 May 2020

If my math (and understanding) is correct, a 65 hz tone would have a wavelength of about 5m (16ft). Does your room have a dimension of that size?

PhillipOrdonez

05 May 2020

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 May 2020

Try a sine wave with another synth and test. Make sure that they are at the same frequency using a spectrum.
Phill!!! You know that stuff is beyond me man hahaha. I’m just going to content myself with the fact that my guitar doesn’t ever give me this problem.

Actually that’s not true. I had a wonky potentiometer on a bass which gave extreme volume fluctuations. And I built a fuzz pedal once which sometimes doubled in volume for no reason in the middle of gigs.
This is a bass specific problem. Sub bass, to be more precise ;)

Faastwalker

05 May 2020

I'm tempted to buy just for the GUI. It's gorgeous. Love a bit of sub as well of course Nice :thumbs_up:

BRIGGS

05 May 2020

Dial up the octave, add delay and reverb, for some good sine leads. :puf_smile:
r11s

Ottostrom

06 May 2020

This is a great example of what I want in a plug-in / RE.
It does one thing and it's great at it, which solves a problem I've had in the past.

aeox
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

Faastwalker wrote:
05 May 2020
I'm tempted to buy just for the GUI. It's gorgeous. Love a bit of sub as well of course Nice :thumbs_up:
I love it, very similar style to monotone which is great.

Arjanders

06 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
05 May 2020
Arjanders wrote:
05 May 2020
I found a little bug: When playing the autosub with the cv-gate and cv-note (for example with a matrix), the octave knob doesn't respond anymore.
Not sure if that's universally considered a bug. I find it more logical for the octave knob to only modify the MIDI notes, same with semi and fine but others might be on your side on this.
Ok, I understand. I encountered this when routing the gate and cv from another instrument to let autosub play the same notes except lower.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
05 May 2020
Arjanders wrote:
05 May 2020
I found a little bug: When playing the autosub with the cv-gate and cv-note (for example with a matrix), the octave knob doesn't respond anymore.
Not sure if that's universally considered a bug. I find it more logical for the octave knob to only modify the MIDI notes, same with semi and fine but others might be on your side on this.
I think most people would consider this behavior unexpected since every synth in Reason (as well as every CV-capable hardware synth that I know of) applies the octave/semi/cent settings at the oscillator level.

Just my 0.02$, of course! :puf_smile:

Gorgeous synth, by the way! :thumbs_up:

Sterioevo

06 May 2020

It is an interesting functionality particularly when you factor in the portamento (which is very nice btw) and the Amount and Time parameters. You can get some very nice bass rise/drop action.
I am taking this one out in the wild tomorrow with a few JBL subs, iso party with me and SWIM. I will report back if and when I return.

ForgottenClank
RE Developer

06 May 2020

buddard wrote:
06 May 2020
I think most people would consider this behavior unexpected since every synth in Reason (as well as every CV-capable hardware synth that I know of) applies the octave/semi/cent settings at the oscillator level.

Good point. It's too late now to change it, though.

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
06 May 2020
buddard wrote:
06 May 2020

The product was released yesterday, so I don't think anybody would mind even if the update comes out next week.
I think the ability to be able to detune the synth also when controlling it via CV would more than make up for it. :puf_smile:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

Arjanders wrote:
06 May 2020
ForgottenClank wrote:
05 May 2020

Ok, I understand. I encountered this when routing the gate and cv from another instrument to let autosub play the same notes except lower.
Just read this. I need to wait until I get home from work to try this again but I got some pretty weird behavior when I took the gate and note out from ABL3 into Autosub. Screechy Noise. I’ll get back on this if nobody wants to try it first and then tell me I was just tired.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Sterioevo

06 May 2020

buddard wrote:
06 May 2020
ForgottenClank wrote:
06 May 2020

The product was released yesterday, so I don't think anybody would mind even if the update comes out next week.
I think the ability to be able to detune the synth also when controlling it via CV would more than make up for it. :puf_smile:
What is interesting is that if you put it into a combinator it behaves as expected. It's allowed to be different.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.29.47 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.29.47 pm.png (644.46 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.29.57 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 10.29.57 pm.png (785.8 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

buddard
RE Developer

06 May 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
06 May 2020
buddard wrote:
06 May 2020

What is interesting is that if you put it into a combinator it behaves as expected. It's allowed to be different.
It's because the Combinator translates incoming Gate/CV to MIDI note messages that it passes on to the instruments inside.
If not, you would have to wire up every instrument inside the Combi with Gate/CV, and that wouldn't be very feasible... :puf_smile:

selig
RE Developer

06 May 2020

ForgottenClank wrote:
05 May 2020
Arjanders wrote:
05 May 2020
No, it's not a bug, because you intended it to work this way. I agree with others, it should be addressed sooner rather than later, though I'd not call it an "urgent" issue since it's technically not a bug.

But it is also not expected behavior (since no other synth works this way in Reason), and because of that it's also not the "Reason Way".

Looks sweet, can't wait to check it out! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

retreed
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

Looks great, and I think people will have a good feeling about a device when the developer himself obviously has some real fun playing with the device in the presentation video. :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 May 2020

Loque wrote:
05 May 2020
Just watching the video...did he said "breast shaking frequencies"?

( . )( . )
I know what those are. The biggest indoor DJ gig I did was for about 1500 people. We had a dozen 18" subs. Every part on and inside your body was shaking :o
Good times!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Ottostrom

07 May 2020

Just got to try it out with my first new project since its release and the speed in which you get a perfectly balanced sub-bass is just awesome!
I think an instance of Autosub will find its way into every project from here on :)

Sterioevo

07 May 2020

buddard wrote:
06 May 2020

It's because the Combinator translates incoming Gate/CV to MIDI note messages that it passes on to the instruments inside.
If not, you would have to wire up every instrument inside the Combi with Gate/CV, and that wouldn't be very feasible... :puf_smile:
Yes, and it responds to players as you would expect, so this behaviour relates only to direct CV gate/inputs.

selig wrote:
06 May 2020

But it is also not expected behavior (since no other synth works this way in Reason), and because of that it's also not the "Reason Way".
With all due respect I am more interested in creative potential than convention :)

Correct me if I am wrong but there is some functionality in this implementation that is not achievable in any other way currently within Reason.

For example, I can split a matrix and send one gate/note direct to Autosub and the other to a combinator containing Autosub - i.e. Autosub receives the same gate/note from 2 different sources. I can then delay the direct gate/note to create a note echo type of effect and can modulate the Octave/Semi/Fine/Key parameters which will only affect the Combinator gate/note input with no effect on the direct note/gate sequence. When you add portamento it gets even more interesting.

It's ok to be different?

edit to add example...

Last edited by Sterioevo on 07 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

07 May 2020

Ottostrom wrote:
07 May 2020
Just got to try it out with my first new project since its release and the speed in which you get a perfectly balanced sub-bass is just awesome!
I think an instance of Autosub will find its way into every project from here on :)
Ditto.

jam-s

07 May 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
07 May 2020
buddard wrote:
06 May 2020

Yes, and it responds to players as you would expect, so this behaviour relates only to direct CV gate/inputs.

selig wrote:
06 May 2020

With all due respect I am more interested in creative potential than convention :)

Correct me if I am wrong but there is some functionality in this implementation that is not achievable in any other way currently within Reason.

For example, I can split a matrix and send one gate/note direct to Autosub and the other to a combinator containing Autosub - i.e. Autosub receives the same gate/note from 2 different sources. I can then delay the direct gate/note to create a note echo type of effect and can modulate the Octave/Semi/Fine/Key parameters which will only affect the Combinator gate/note input with no effect on the direct note/gate sequence. When you add portamento it gets even more interesting.

It's ok to be different?

edit to add example...

It might be an option to have a switch on the back that enables or disables the Octave/Semi/... adjustments for the CV input.

• Information