Jiggery-Pokery generative “Project C”

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

29 Apr 2020

Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I think it's pretty clear looking at the shop. Almost every RE developer has abandoned the platform or has gone into maintenance mode. Other than a few solid developers (yourself included) who have hung in there, it's pretty barren, and virtually the only thing of interest getting developed now are players.
selig wrote:
28 Apr 2020

I would suggest that you first need to prove RS is "driving away developers", then maybe we could talk about whether or not it's a good thing.
Some original developers are not developing now, some new developers are now developing. That's the natural ebb and flow of things IMO.
I think its pretty clear, that the big companies are not very creative and only create EQs, Compressors and Channelstrips.

I also have the feeling, that the market for VSTs is getting down, because none of that devs have moved their stuff to 64bit nor did they updated their stuff since more than 10 years.

And on top of that sad times we live in, the few devs still making VSTs, want update prices simple GUI updates.

Man, i could cry, that still a lot of VSTs are still not resizable and so tiny on my screen, that i could even hit the knobs.

I think, the VST market is goind down since years. Sad, sad times we live in...

</SarcasmOff>
Reason12, Win10

Rackman

29 Apr 2020

Your forgot your opening sarcasm tag there which makes everything you said invalid ;)
Loque wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I think it's pretty clear looking at the shop. Almost every RE developer has abandoned the platform or has gone into maintenance mode. Other than a few solid developers (yourself included) who have hung in there, it's pretty barren, and virtually the only thing of interest getting developed now are players.

I think its pretty clear, that the big companies are not very creative and only create EQs, Compressors and Channelstrips.

I also have the feeling, that the market for VSTs is getting down, because none of that devs have moved their stuff to 64bit nor did they updated their stuff since more than 10 years.

And on top of that sad times we live in, the few devs still making VSTs, want update prices simple GUI updates.

Man, i could cry, that still a lot of VSTs are still not resizable and so tiny on my screen, that i could even hit the knobs.

I think, the VST market is goind down since years. Sad, sad times we live in...

</SarcasmOff>

Rackman

29 Apr 2020

For me the interesting stuff is happening in VCV tbh. It's a great example of what a healthy ecosystem can produce.
Sterioevo wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
There is a lot of subjective generalisations in this and other comments.
Business can be brutal, no doubt about it. Could be sour grapes in relation to JP I don't know?

This is getting off topic I know but this thread is highly speculative so, in your opinion, broadly speaking, what is of interest being developed now?

Loque

29 Apr 2020

Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
For me the interesting stuff is happening in VCV tbh. It's a great example of what a healthy ecosystem can produce.
Sterioevo wrote:
29 Apr 2020

There is a lot of subjective generalisations in this and other comments.
Business can be brutal, no doubt about it. Could be sour grapes in relation to JP I don't know?

This is getting off topic I know but this thread is highly speculative so, in your opinion, broadly speaking, what is of interest being developed now?
The code seems to be pretty crappy...Thats why its currently pretty hard to convert it to a VST. Prototyping at its best.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

29 Apr 2020

Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
I asked to support your claim they are being "driven away" as you had originally suggested. If they are leaving for other reasons, that's totally different, and I've already addressed other reasons for not creating new content. And new devs have arrived on the scene too, lets not forget.
There HAVE been some very interesting new players, which are 100% Rack Extensions, so you can't discount them for any reason.

You have every right to be disappointed if your favorite developers are MIA, or if the current developers are not making products you can use. But that's different from claiming "almost every" developer has been "driven away" - what evidence leads to to suggest such a thing?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, maybe what you say is true, So I'll end with saying I've not heard anything that leads me to that belief and I speak with other devs and participate on dev forms regularly.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

29 Apr 2020

Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
While I'm not debating against this observation, I do find it interesting how people expect a constant flow of new products from developers in the RE format, in order for them to not be considered done with the RE format or their products abandoned.

In the VST world, many of my favorite developers release slowly, seldom, and some just maintain one or a few products. But I'm not quick to say they've abandoned the VST format.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
29 Apr 2020
Rackman wrote:
29 Apr 2020
While I'm not debating against this observation, I do find it interesting how people expect a constant flow of new products from developers in the RE format, in order for them to not be considered done with the RE format or their products abandoned.

In the VST world, many of my favorite developers release slowly, seldom, and some just maintain one or a few products. But I'm not quick to say they've abandoned the VST format.
I think the market has basically exhausted itself on useful ideas. We have new monster synths and even if Massive X, Pigment, and Phase Plant has tried to take it to a new level, the sounds are not very different from the synths of the last 5-8yrs. Kinda like TVs, nobody went for the 3D versions, it flopped, a few are buying 4k TVs but what after that, your eyes cannot see more detail. Same thing with synthesis, you still basically mangle some waveform through a filter and a few FX.

No wonder people buy less, I as an example have 10+ incredible synth. Don't need more. I don't mind new sounds/patches (if they are good), but no real need to buy a new synth. Same with EQ, compressors etc, I have more than enough.
Arturia lets you browse (and audition a few) and buy new sounds from withing the synth. I think that is the way for them to survive. Loopcloud does them same thing for loops. A VST developer who isn't doing in app purchase/audition features will probably risk to slowly fade away.

The only area currently that interests me is work-flow (DAW updates), midi tools (to speed up idea generation and compositions), on-line collaboration tools, and maybe something like SWAM using a TEC Controller or something else that can generate midi other than a keyboard and apply it to more dynamic sounds (OVOX mic to midi is something on my to do list to try out). Also, CPU efficiency/distribution interests me, like NetVST.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

jam-s

30 Apr 2020

I think it's safe to say "a dev abandoned the platform" when there are known bugs in the REs that don't get fixed in a few months of if the corresponding VST of the dev has seen multiple updates/additions in functionality while the RE has not been touched since months.

• Information