Evolution is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ab459

04 May 2020

Well, perhaps i will grab it too, at next sale. Just had been think some time. (Though still not get answer about nonworking random mode).

bak

04 May 2020

Thank you Panda for this cool player.

DaveyG

04 May 2020

I've got it trialled but I'm struggling to get anything very musical out of it. I don't think I'll be buying it - I'll stick with the existing players.

VariableX

04 May 2020

i bought it - but - kinda wish i had stuck to my guns, I wasn't convinced with it and im still not πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™‚οΈ
still i really like Lectric Pandas other stuff so im happy i supported him with a purchase.

challism

05 May 2020

DaveyG wrote: ↑
04 May 2020
I've got it trialled but I'm struggling to get anything very musical out of it. I don't think I'll be buying it - I'll stick with the existing players.
There must be some kind of phrase you hear in the pattern which sounds somewhat musical, no? Perhaps not the whole pattern, but a sequence of notes or a few notes here and there. I rarely like the whole pattern it plays and I wish there were a way to either mute or alter selected parts of the pattern. But the workaround is in the sequencer. Did you try sending notes to track or using the player's direct record function, then editing/deleting the notes you don't like? I find Evolution to be an incredibly useful tool for helping me come up with ideas to move past a sticking point in a song, or maybe come up with a nice bridge. Hit the random button until you hear something you like and cherry pick the good parts with the direct record button.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

05 May 2020

challism wrote: ↑
05 May 2020
DaveyG wrote: ↑
04 May 2020
There must be some kind of phrase you hear in the pattern which sounds somewhat musical, no? Perhaps not the whole pattern, but a sequence of notes or a few notes here and there. I rarely like the whole pattern it plays and I wish there were a way to either mute or alter selected parts of the pattern. But the workaround is in the sequencer. Did you try sending notes to track or using the player's direct record function, then editing/deleting the notes you don't like? I find Evolution to be an incredibly useful tool for helping me come up with ideas to move past a sticking point in a song, or maybe come up with a nice bridge. Hit the random button until you hear something you like and cherry pick the good parts with the direct record button.
Perhaps "musical" was the wrong word for me to use. By definition it's musical because it's sticking to the scale and mode it has been assigned. What I mean is "not very useful for the kind of stuff I do".

Yes, I can dump the output to a track and then comb through it for the interesting bits but I can already do that with Quad Note Generator (and I do). Comparing the two I think I get quicker and more pleasing results from QNG with that method. There seems to be a lot more unusable stuff in the output from Evolution.

Something new from the Panda is very exciting and the buzz in this thread even more so but I find the UI utterly confusing, especially the rhythm section, and I wish I have never opened the manual! It's a shame because I had high hopes for a player that should be right up my street. I'm not saying it's a bad product but I don't think it's for me. I'll probably end up owning it as part of some bundle or other but for now it's a pass.

dave dove

07 May 2020

Evolution is fantastic
the more I play with it
the more it gives back

Dave

antic604

12 May 2020

rcbuse wrote: ↑
17 Apr 2020
Evolution is a generative player...
Any chance Sequences will be released in traditional white? The defining thing for Players was - for me, at least - their reduced width and uniform look, at least in terms of white background. Most devs - Robotic Bean, Static Cling, Retouch Control, even you before Sequences - have been following this unwritten(?) guideline.

The yellow (or grey/black in case of TonicMint) is really looking out of place :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

MannequinRaces

12 May 2020

antic604 wrote: ↑
12 May 2020
17 Apr 2020
Any chance Sequences will be released in traditional white? The defining thing for Players was - for me, at least - their reduced width and uniform look, at least in terms of white background. Most devs - Robotic Bean, Static Cling, Retouch Control, even you before Sequences - have been following this unwritten(?) guideline.

The yellow (or grey/black in case of TonicMint) is really looking out of place :(
:roll: Live a little man.

antic604

12 May 2020

MannequinRaces wrote: ↑
12 May 2020
12 May 2020

:roll: Live a little man.
I'm not judging you by what's important to you, do I? Live and let live.
Music tech enthusiast.

challism

14 May 2020

12 May 2020
17 Apr 2020

Do you mean to ask if Evolution will be released in traditional colors? Sequences is a player by Robotic Bean (different developer).

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

14 May 2020

12 May 2020
17 Apr 2020

Personally I'm glad Panda tried something new here. Evolution looks just fine. A little variation is fun and needed imo.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 May 2020

12 May 2020
17 Apr 2020

I love the Tonicmint colours. I also love the Tonicmint REs for that matter.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2020

Just wanted to say I finally worked out what Evolution does...and also how to do it. What a brilliant RE. Love it!!!
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Yonatan

21 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote: ↑
19 Dec 2020
Just wanted to say I finally worked out what Evolution does...and also how to do it. What a brilliant RE. Love it!!!
Please share your experience. I see it is on sale again but did not pull the trigger at BF.
When first tried it I got a bit confused on what real difference it is from QuadNote player,
which also generates notes according to keys.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2020

Yonatan wrote: ↑
21 Dec 2020
19 Dec 2020
Please share your experience. I see it is on sale again but did not pull the trigger at BF.
When first tried it I got a bit confused on what real difference it is from QuadNote player,
which also generates notes according to keys.
You can set how you want it to repeat...like 3-3-2 or 1-4-2 (bars). I put a scales and chords in it but you can also adjust scales directly. Set it up and click send notes to track. Find and keep the bits you like. Go in on edit and move some notes around. That’s pretty much the gist of things. It’s great.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

antic604

21 Dec 2020

Yonatan wrote: ↑
21 Dec 2020
When first tried it I got a bit confused on what real difference it is from QuadNote player,which also generates notes according to keys.
I guess the main difference is random (QNG) vs. pseudo-random (Evolution).

So if you record repeteadly say 32 bars of MIDI from both QNG and Evolution, QNG's clips will always be different, whereas Evolution's clips will always be the same as long as the parameters were not changed. As soon as you change them, new clips will again be the same between takes, but different from the ones before you've changed the parameter(s).

Also, AFAIK, Evolution's patterns evolve over time via repetitions, rotations, variation, etc. and its all synced to transport (so it's always the same at e.g. bar 27 for the same set of parameters), which isn't the case for QNG that's always random and unpredictable.
Music tech enthusiast.

Yonatan

21 Dec 2020

Thanks both of you for helping me out, hinting what Evolution does.

Edited:
I went and bought "Evolution". After just playing around with it in combinations with other players, I just say "Wow". Such handy and nice device!
It brings a fresh air into even very old devices. May Panda prosper and continue develop creative devices.

challism

21 Dec 2020

19 Dec 2020

Glad you finally see the light. Sorry I was never able to articulately explain how to use it. But I agree, it is great/brilliant.

Mataya

02 Feb 2021

This is my favorite player, but I'm missing one thing for it to be just perfect. So I would like to ask if this is possible to implement and if there's any interest for that, besides mine.
So, most of the time I get a nice sequence, especially for bass, but some times there are just a couple of notes or just one note in a sequence that doesn't belong there and I would like to remove it...or replace it.
I can block that note with denote player for example, but if I want to replace it or just adjust it by a couple of places up or down or left or right, I can't. I understand that maybe this is the point of this player, but I would really like it if you could just be able to move existing notes around if you need to. It would be an ultimate player for generating amazing sequences, but still be able to adjust it a bit if needed.
For now I used Sequences player to record a sequence from evolution player and adjust it from there...but as you see, it would be easier if you could just do that form evolution.

So maaaybeeeee?

Tx
Mataya

Billy+

02 Feb 2021

Mataya wrote: ↑
02 Feb 2021
This is my favorite player, but I'm missing one thing for it to be just perfect. So I would like to ask if this is possible to implement and if there's any interest for that, besides mine.
So, most of the time I get a nice sequence, especially for bass, but some times there are just a couple of notes or just one note in a sequence that doesn't belong there and I would like to remove it...or replace it.
I can block that note with denote player for example, but if I want to replace it or just adjust it by a couple of places up or down or left or right, I can't. I understand that maybe this is the point of this player, but I would really like it if you could just be able to move existing notes around if you need to. It would be an ultimate player for generating amazing sequences, but still be able to adjust it a bit if needed.
For now I used Sequences player to record a sequence from evolution player and adjust it from there...but as you see, it would be easier if you could just do that form evolution.

So maaaybeeeee?

Tx
Mataya
Rather than seeing it as doing it for you see it as an idea generator, it gives you something that you bounce and tweak. But I get what you're saying it would be nice if you could just move the notes sometimes, but like I say bounce them and make the pattern your own.

• Information