Evolution is in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rgdaniel

23 Apr 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
23 Apr 2020
challism wrote:
22 Apr 2020

As long as neither one of them is Uranus, all is good.
Why? whats wrong with Uranus?
Klingons...? :lol:

BRIGGS

23 Apr 2020

rgdaniel wrote:
23 Apr 2020
fretshot7 wrote:
23 Apr 2020

Why? whats wrong with Uranus?
r11s

EdGrip

24 Apr 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Apr 2020
rgdaniel wrote:
23 Apr 2020

(Minion gif)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
23 Apr 2020
rgdaniel wrote:
23 Apr 2020

Captain Kirk tried to wipe them out.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

24 Apr 2020

MrFigg wrote:
24 Apr 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
23 Apr 2020

Captain Kirk tried to wipe them out.
r11s

ab459

27 Apr 2020

I tried demo, very good, but Panda, please, it it possible in future update add\share the "RUN" button for combinator ??

challism

28 Apr 2020

ab459 wrote:
27 Apr 2020
I tried demo, very good, but Panda, please, it it possible in future update add\share the "RUN" button for combinator ??
I had requested the same thing when this was in beta. The cagey Panda was ahead of me and had already figured that out, though. Just set the Combi to control the "Pattern Select" target. If you turn it to off, it will turn off the run button. Same thing for automating in the sequencer (outside of a Combi), just automate the pattern select lane, instead.

:)
off.JPG
off.JPG (80.58 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ab459

28 Apr 2020

challism wrote:
28 Apr 2020
ab459 wrote:
27 Apr 2020
I had requested the same thing when this was in beta. The cagey Panda was ahead of me and had already figured that out, though. Just set the Combi to control the "Pattern Select" target. If you turn it to off, it will turn off the run button. Same thing for automating in the sequencer (outside of a Combi), just automate the pattern select lane, instead.
Thanks for option, but it's not the same. It will works, if the RUN button was already enabled before, right ? So, the same thing as your variant we can achieve then with "On" target in combinator.
But no, would be good exactly for RUN.
Yes, i understand that the practical difference non principal as can seems for someone, but why it just not add ? (for those ppl it important). I was ready buy it, but just with RUN in targets, seriously. When i not found it, my hands is had been down. And i better buy noise+lfo now.

challism

28 Apr 2020

ab459 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
challism wrote:
28 Apr 2020

Thanks for option, but it's not the same. It will works, if the RUN button was already enabled before, right ? So, the same thing as your variant we can achieve then with "On" target in combinator.
But no, would be good exactly for RUN.
Yes, i understand that the practical difference non principal as can seems for someone, but why it just not add ? (for those ppl it important). I was ready buy it, but just with RUN in targets, seriously. When i not found it, my hands is had been down. And i better buy noise+lfo now.
The Combi has a built in button called "Run Pattern Devices." That should enable the run button for you, then you can use the rotary knob setup I described earlier for you. And if you have other players in the Combi which you don't want running when you hit the Run Patterns button, you can assign a Combi button to their on/off button. I think this should solve your issue.

ab459

28 Apr 2020

challism wrote:
28 Apr 2020
The Combi has a built in button called "Run Pattern Devices." That should enable the run button for you, then you can use the rotary knob setup I described earlier for you. And if you have other players in the Combi which you don't want running when you hit the Run Patterns button, you can assign a Combi button to their on/off button. I think this should solve your issue.
Sorry, it's again quite far from direct access to Run button (even perhaps more far than above variants). I'm afraid we still not understand each other. Here is not only a question of the result but also of a certain aesthetics. Which nevertheless sometimes lead to different results.

challism

28 Apr 2020

In that case.....

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

selig
RE Developer

28 Apr 2020

After working a bit with Evolutions, I still want a gate length control - but I could also really use CV inputs for gate length, density, and many others. Why no CV inputs - creative decision, coming soon, other?
Selig Audio, LLC

zwei

28 Apr 2020

I have to agree that the main issue (only issue for me really) is the lack of "retrig" mode. It is currently not playing nicely with my hardware synths due to the legato. Would love to use this more but currently it is not usable.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2020

For those looking for a retrig option, you can patch in the free HaMu Mingler Active RE in the output path. Just connect the note and gate out of Evolution into the first input pair on Mingler, and the output pair to your device of choice. Activate the RETRIG button on the front panel and any new notes will retrigger the gate signal so that no old notes get latched over.

Panda, this is gold. Trialed. Bought.

manisnotabird

28 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
28 Apr 2020
After working a bit with Evolutions, I still want a gate length control - but I could also really use CV inputs for gate length, density, and many others. Why no CV inputs - creative decision, coming soon, other?
Seconding these recommendations!

buddard
RE Developer

28 Apr 2020

ab459 wrote:
27 Apr 2020
The SDK documentation explicitly states (in the document "Jukebox Concepts") that developers are not supposed to make the RUN button automatable -- Which is the same as making it available in the combinator programmer.

Here is the relevant quote from the documentation:
Run button should not be automatable. If you want the user to be able to automate the pattern playback, please use a separate property (Sequencer On/Off) or an empty pattern. The reason for this is that we do not want setting the Play position to a PPQ where Run is automated to On to start the device sequencer. Please note that even if the Run button should not be automatable, it should still be a remoteable item.
To clarify what they mean, imagine the following scenario assuming that RUN would be automatable:
  • You create an automation clip in which RUN is set to "On"
  • You have stopped the song outside the clip
  • While the song is stopped, click on the timeline at a point where the automation clip is set to "On"
  • The RUN button will be enabled (because the automation data says so!), so the device will suddenly start playing! This is probably not what you would want to happen. :puf_smile:

ab459

28 Apr 2020

@buddard
Well, all what i want it's exactly control Run without appeal to host timeline\transport\clips etc, nothing more.

buddard
RE Developer

29 Apr 2020

ab459 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
@buddard
Well, all what i want it's exactly control Run without appeal to host timeline\transport\clips etc, nothing more.
Then you can map your combinator to either "On" or "Pattern Select" on Evolution!

ab459

29 Apr 2020

buddard wrote:
29 Apr 2020
ab459 wrote:
28 Apr 2020
@buddard
Then you can map your combinator to either "On" or "Pattern Select" on Evolution!
Ok.

FGL

29 Apr 2020

Strange thing. If you start a song and you have created segments with on / off, some only run after you have Transport run twice over the clip. Instrument dependent? Mostly with complex.

FGL

29 Apr 2020

selig wrote:
28 Apr 2020
Setting the gate length would of course be more convenient. At the moment I am using Dual Arpeggio, everything off, only Gatelength and Rate.

ab459

29 Apr 2020

Ok, have some question.
Config example: Repeats "0", Select "Rand", Variation "Reverse"
Do really not should in this config works (produce affect) of random ?

For example, if we select "2:2" instead "Rand", we get reversing of each of second playback.
But, with random, i assumed logically, it's should works as well, but just with random chance of reverse in one of many playbacks (instead each secondary), no ? (but it not occurs)

EDIT:
There is feeling that random selection not works at all.

electrofux

02 May 2020

buddard wrote:
28 Apr 2020
ab459 wrote:
27 Apr 2020
The SDK documentation explicitly states (in the document "Jukebox Concepts") that developers are not supposed to make the RUN button automatable -- Which is the same as making it available in the combinator programmer.

Here is the relevant quote from the documentation:
Run button should not be automatable. If you want the user to be able to automate the pattern playback, please use a separate property (Sequencer On/Off) or an empty pattern. The reason for this is that we do not want setting the Play position to a PPQ where Run is automated to On to start the device sequencer. Please note that even if the Run button should not be automatable, it should still be a remoteable item.
To clarify what they mean, imagine the following scenario assuming that RUN would be automatable:
  • You create an automation clip in which RUN is set to "On"
  • You have stopped the song outside the clip
  • While the song is stopped, click on the timeline at a point where the automation clip is set to "On"
  • The RUN button will be enabled (because the automation data says so!), so the device will suddenly start playing! This is probably not what you would want to happen. :puf_smile:
Since we finally can talk about it. Did they also mention why "record" buttons are not allowed to be remote controlled?

buddard
RE Developer

02 May 2020

electrofux wrote:
02 May 2020
Since we finally can talk about it. Did they also mention why "record" buttons are not allowed to be remote controlled?
This is slightly off-topic in this thread since Evolution doesn't have a record button, but I can give a short answer here. If you want to discuss this in more detail I recommend starting a separate thread for this. :puf_smile:

Controlling a record button with Remote or automation is not disallowed explicitly -- In fact I don't think the documentation even mentions record buttons anywhere. It's more of a technical limitation that is a consequence of how properties work in REs.

You can actually make a record button that is remotable and even automatable. The downside with it is that the data you record will not be saved with your patch or song. Instead it will disappear when you close the song, i e you will just record stuff into a temporary buffer. Currently, the only way (that I know of, at least) to get around this limitation is to use custom display scripting, and this requires direct user interaction with a custom display.

Faastwalker

04 May 2020

Doh! Missed the Intro price!! :o

• Information