Do you want a Finisher RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ujam-instruments
RE Developer

09 Apr 2020

Our new Finisher multi-effect VST works flawlessly in Reason 11, so we were wondering if you’d be happy to have it as a Rack Extension?! What features do you need to justify buying a Finisher RE instead of the VST? Here’s a link to the product page if you want to check what’s in there: https://www.ujam.com/neo/.

Thanks for your help and stay healthy!

Jannik from UJAM

gregmarksimpson

09 Apr 2020

ujam-instruments wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Our new Finisher multi-effect VST works flawlessly in Reason 11, so we were wondering if you’d be happy to have it as a Rack Extension?! What features do you need to justify buying a Finisher RE instead of the VST? Here’s a link to the product page if you want to check what’s in there: https://www.ujam.com/neo/.

Thanks for your help and stay healthy!

Jannik from UJAM
Yes please!! I can't think of anything the RE would need over the VST, apart from the usual rack integration.

Could you please also port your Beatmaker VOID to RE whilst you're at it? I've got all three of the current Beatmaker REs and they're brilliant. I didn't realise there was a new addition to the family!

Keep up the amazing work.

Loque

09 Apr 2020

I don't want to sound harsh, but i dont need such fx at all.

But i always prefere the RE over a VST for the typical reasons:
* easy licensing and installation and update
* cv
* better integration
* no popup window
* works always in future (hopefully)
* easy patch managment, not this VST crap
* can have extras like audio rate modulations, audio input, breakouts...
Reason12, Win10

ujam-instruments
RE Developer

09 Apr 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
09 Apr 2020

Yes please!! I can't think of anything the RE would need over the VST, apart from the usual rack integration.

Could you please also port your Beatmaker VOID to RE whilst you're at it? I've got all three of the current Beatmaker REs and they're brilliant. I didn't realise there was a new addition to the family!

Hey Greg, thanks for your feedback! It’s worth knowing that there might be a demand for Beatmaker VOID as RE as well. It’s a pity that we can’t add features like MIDI Drag and Drop to the RE, but we’ll definitely consider porting it. If you can think of a RE feature for Finisher, let me know ;)

//JH

ujam-instruments
RE Developer

09 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2020

* cv
* better integration
* no popup window
Thanks for your feedback, may I ask why you won’t need a Finisher multi-effect at all?

//JH

antic604

09 Apr 2020

Not if it's gonna look like the VST or several of your last VSTs...

I've no idea why RS accepts them. They look nothing like Rack devices should look like, i.e. stylised but realistic "physical" devices.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2020

While I really appreciate that you and other developers keep the Rack Extension world alive, I'm not sure I'd use this type of plugin very often.
I can only speak for myself but very rarely do I use these all-in-one type of plugins. They often feel bloated. If I want distortion, I'll reach for a dist plugin. If want delay, I'll reach for a delay and so on... Sometimes I do make large effect chains for certain sounds, but I prefer to build that chain bit buy bit after my own needs, instead of getting 10 random effects at once.
But as preset/inspiration bank I could see this type of plugin as useful. But for the most part I'd feel like I had no control of what's going on.

Loque

09 Apr 2020

ujam-instruments wrote:
09 Apr 2020
Loque wrote:
09 Apr 2020

* cv
* better integration
* no popup window
Thanks for your feedback, may I ask why you won’t need a Finisher multi-effect at all?

//JH
Sure you may ask :-D
I have a big arsenal of trillions of fx of all kind, from simple chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, frequency shifter, pitcher, ringer, modulator, amps, saturators, wave shapers, RM and FM, spectral modifier and fx, glitchers of all kinds, grain fx, reverbs, EQs, filters, limiter, compressor, expander, gates, all in multiband and so on and so forth to synthesizer of any kind, where i can load up samples or hook up inputs and form the crap out of any sound. If i have a sound in my head, i build it. If iam bored or not inspired, i pick randomly stuff from my arsenal, and experiment. Really, i have more than enough to do everything in any form and thanks to Reason I have mostly total and full control of the devices, modulations, chains and signal routings.

So, i just stopped buying anything. I think, i am the wrong audience for anything, that is already available in some way, except you can top the quality or even better, create something completely new and let my brain be the limit.

PS: Ok, there are currently 2 things i really would like to add to my arsenal, and that is creating sounds from images (like FL Harmor, where i did not like the workflow, GUI and it is not interactive with the image enough) and something to morph sounds (most devices sound too crappy and are way too expensive for a crappy sound, and fading i can do with a damn fader...).
Reason12, Win10

robotgard

09 Apr 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

tiker01

09 Apr 2020

I would rather see VOID! ;)

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

xboix

09 Apr 2020

I'd always buy a VST in preference to an RE if a VST version is available. I have some of the ujam virtual instruments as VST.

But like a few of the above I don't need another finaliser type thing in any format because... Waves and iZotope.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

09 Apr 2020

Well, it sounds excellent, so yes, I would have to consider buying it :)

I'd demo it extensively first, of course.

Thanks,
Brian

gregmarksimpson

09 Apr 2020

ujam-instruments wrote:
09 Apr 2020
gregmarksimpson wrote:
09 Apr 2020

Hey Greg, thanks for your feedback! It’s worth knowing that there might be a demand for Beatmaker VOID as RE as well. It’s a pity that we can’t add features like MIDI Drag and Drop to the RE, but we’ll definitely consider porting it. If you can think of a RE feature for Finisher, let me know ;)

//JH
Please do port it, just been listening to the demos; it sounds phenomenal! I'd love that in my Reason Rack as a native RE!!

Btw, I know GUIs are a subjective thing, but I personally really like all your Rack Extension graphics; so don't listen to the haters :)

lrey

09 Apr 2020

I just watched the the product video.. Looks amazing! Kinda reminds me of Endless Smile VST for its simplicity, but its own thing. I would definitely love to have this as an RE. When given the option, I always choose REs over VSTs. To be honest, kind of pricey, though.

Also, please make more FX plugs/REs... I love FX plugins that can totally mangle and transform audio, like delay and distortion. Make stuff like that and I'll be buying all your plugins.

gullum

09 Apr 2020

for me to even consider buying it you need to make a RE version, because I will not buy VST

guitfnky

09 Apr 2020

there’s definitely a different cachet to a new RE. from what little I had the chance to look at, the concept seems pretty cool. I would hope you’d keep the same vibe with the GUI. it’s nice to have a rack filled with a variety of different looking devices (as long as they all sound great, naturally).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

09 Apr 2020

and I would give this a harder look than lots of the more recent effects REs, specifically because I have enough single-purpose effects plugins, and I don’t really care too much for plugins that try to do everything, but also require you to muck around with tons of settings before getting something interesting. I like the idea of fewer controls and just playing around trying to find something cool, without having to get super tweaky. ART is one of my favorite Reason devices for that reason.

could be worth taking a look at as a VST, but if you’ll plan to make it into an RE, I’d definitely want to wait for that. hope you decide to go for it! :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Yonatan

10 Apr 2020

I would like VBass 2 but just read that RE cannot have drag and drop midi...what a bummer. If I had known, I would have prefered Mellow as a Vst. But I can wait. Maybe drag n drop midi will become part of RE some day...I mean Players at least have ability to print midi to sequencer, so it would seem possible to do same in RE?

Have not tried Finisher as vst yet so cant have any opinion at the moment.

gregmarksimpson

10 Apr 2020

Didn't realise Virtual Bassist had been updated too!

Hope we get Void RE first, then Finisher RE.

Are the new effects in Virtual Bassist 2 the same as the ones in Finisher?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
10 Apr 2020
Didn't realise Virtual Bassist had been updated too!

Hope we get Void RE first, then Finisher RE.

Not the RE, just the VST. Maybe, I hope, we get midi drag'n'drop from the REs too, or a CV out of the notes. Would be sooo cool to control a synth directly from the VB patterns.
Maybe CV note+gate is the way to go (so you can do it in real time)?

Thoughts?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

11 Apr 2020

gregmarksimpson wrote:
10 Apr 2020
So Finisher debuted as a feature on VG Carbon. There were then requests for Finisher as a separate plugin. So then came Finisher Micro, followed by Finisher NEO. Then a Finisher was most recently added to VB2. I think between them all, they may share a few effect algorithms, but each offer something unique. And of course, with Finisher NEO, you have the two Variation knobs not found in the VG/VB built-in Finishers.

joeyluck

11 Apr 2020

I would love to see a Finisher NEO RE!

I really like all of the recent UJAM GUIs. They look awesome and make a great use of space for something in the Reason Rack (the Virtual Drummers, Beatmakers, and Virtual Bassists) :thumbs_up:

For Finisher NEO though, since it's just the 3 knobs and input/output control, I think the GUI could be slimmed for the Reason rack. Something along these lines:

Compared to the VST:

joeyluck

11 Apr 2020

Something else I think could be fun with a RE version of Finisher NEO, if possible, would be to have mystery CV inputs that could be used to modulate some of the effects within the chains that the user otherwise doesn't have individual access to. Just a handful maybe.

These however, would not be listed in any manual/resource as to what they do per patch. They would be unlabeled, as what each CV input affects probably varies from patch to patch. You could maybe even label them with silly graphics: a question mark here, a thinking emoji there lol... Or just CV1, etc. So the straightforward simplicity of the device remains on the front panel, with a little extra experimentation factor added as a little bonus to the back, which may also help to answer, "Why get the RE version instead of the VST?"

gregmarksimpson

11 Apr 2020

joeyluck wrote:
11 Apr 2020
Something else I think could be fun with a RE version of Finisher NEO, if possible, would be to have mystery CV inputs that could be used to modulate some of the effects within the chains that the user otherwise doesn't have individual access to. Just a handful maybe.

These however, would not be listed in any manual/resource as to what they do per patch. They would be unlabeled, as what each CV input affects probably varies from patch to patch. You could maybe even label them with silly graphics: a question mark here, a thinking emoji there lol... Or just CV1, etc. So the straightforward simplicity of the device remains on the front panel, with a little extra experimentation factor added as a little bonus to the back, which may also help to answer, "Why get the RE version instead of the VST?"
All great ideas Joey!

I've bought every UJAM device as RE and wouldn't hesitate to buy anything else they bring out as REs. They're some of the most professional sounding devices in my rack (I'm including the A-List Guitarists in that list, given they're UJAM in all but name!).

I know the question being asked is about Finisher RE here but does anyone know if there are any plans to get updates for the UJAM REs to v2 and also bring Carbon and Void into RE format? I hope it's not VST-only for their instruments from hereon in...

avasopht
Competition Winner

12 Apr 2020

That would be a brilliant addition to the rack if you think it can benefit from it, but since it's a free VST is it really worth your effort?

• Information