Synapse GQ-7: Still Good??

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BradfordMoeller

01 Apr 2020

I'm basically looking at my RE's trying to find an excuse not to buy the Fabfilter Q3.

What are your opinions on the Snyapse GQ-7, or Reason's Spectrum EQ for that matter? How do they compare to really high-end plugins?
:reason:)))

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

I'm pleased with it. Use it for side chaining bass w the low shelf. Can also do filter sweeps with it as it was designed for automation in mind.
Fast to work with, visible in the rack, and just turn the knobs. That 96dB cut in the LP/HP is great too. The spectrum is basic, but good enough for the purpose to EQ.
You can also solo bands. Great to leave on if you do sound design and just want to narrow range to be heard.

I use it in every project together with a couple of HW emulation EQ that has a good set of settings for "musical" shaping.
CV in if you want to create your own dynamic EQ.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

BradfordMoeller

02 Apr 2020

Boombastix wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I'm pleased with it. Use it for side chaining bass w the low shelf. Can also do filter sweeps with it as it was designed for automation in mind.
Fast to work with, visible in the rack, and just turn the knobs. That 96dB cut in the LP/HP is great too. The spectrum is basic, but good enough for the purpose to EQ.
You can also solo bands. Great to leave on if you do sound design and just want to narrow range to be heard.

I use it in every project together with a couple of HW emulation EQ that has a good set of settings for "musical" shaping.
CV in if you want to create your own dynamic EQ.
That's well said. Thanks for the response, I definitely need to do a deep dive on it as it's been a while since I've put it to use. I also had no idea that you could get it to do dynamic EQ, I'll have to see if I can figure that out!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2020

I meant you take advantage of the CV in. Whatever you CV chain does, you can dynamically make the EQ level move for any band. So, you can do something that triggers on a 1k-1.5k input, and have an EQ band at 8k duck, or whatever, just your imagination and needs that limit.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dvdrtldg

02 Apr 2020

It's a great everyday bread & butter EQ. Nothing fancy, no "character" but if you're after something transparent and fast to work with, it's the best RE option

Loque

02 Apr 2020

Its still a good one. I replaced it with Q3, but still use it, mostly if CV comes in and i need a special dynamic EQ or movement in an EQ.
Reason12, Win10

BradfordMoeller

02 Apr 2020

Makes sense, thanks for the responses!

Auryn

05 Apr 2020

Generally GQ-7 is my general purpose go-to EQ. Great sound quality, easy to use, and I also really like the auto-gain-compensate feature which makes mixing easier (because it helps avoid the louder=better trap when boosting for example).
Loque wrote:
02 Apr 2020
Its still a good one. I replaced it with Q3, but still use it, mostly if CV comes in and i need a special dynamic EQ or movement in an EQ.
I'd be interested to hear what you prefer about the Q3? I'm trying it at the moment, haven't really connected yet with what would make it preferable to the GQ7?
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

05 Apr 2020

Auryn wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Generally GQ-7 is my general purpose go-to EQ. Great sound quality, easy to use, and I also really like the auto-gain-compensate feature which makes mixing easier (because it helps avoid the louder=better trap when boosting for example).
Loque wrote:
02 Apr 2020
I'd be interested to hear what you prefer about the Q3? I'm trying it at the moment, haven't really connected yet with what would make it preferable to the GQ7?
Clean display, better resolution, fcking easy to use, more bands, more slopes, easy to make a dynamic EQ, viewing all connected Q3 in the display to identify frequency overlaps and occupation, adjustable phase, CPU efficient, ... Its just x times better and more versatile. My go to EQ. It just lacks CV :-)
Reason12, Win10

Auryn

05 Apr 2020

Loque wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Clean display, better resolution, fcking easy to use, more bands, more slopes, easy to make a dynamic EQ, viewing all connected Q3 in the display to identify frequency overlaps and occupation, adjustable phase, CPU efficient, ... Its just x times better and more versatile. My go to EQ. It just lacks CV :-)
Thanks for the info. I don't mind the GUI stuff too much but the overlapping frequency function sounds useful. Phase stuff is still a bit arcane to me... basically that would just mean delaying the sound very slightly right? Or is there more to it?

Well I suppose the best thing for it is just to mix a track with it, here goes...
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Loque

05 Apr 2020

Auryn wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Loque wrote:
05 Apr 2020
Thanks for the info. I don't mind the GUI stuff too much but the overlapping frequency function sounds useful. Phase stuff is still a bit arcane to me... basically that would just mean delaying the sound very slightly right? Or is there more to it?

Well I suppose the best thing for it is just to mix a track with it, here goes...
As soon as you change the gain in a specific frequency, you change the phase too. Some EQs can compensate that, if you really need it. Linear Phase EQs can sound better here and there and can solve specific problems. FabFilter has a very good video explaining that on the Q3 product site. TBH, i did not needed it till now - i make my music like "if it sounds good, it is good". And you are right, phase compensation introduces latency, but Q3 has several modes for EQing.
Reason12, Win10

Nerveclinic

05 Apr 2020

What is the Q3? I must be blind I couldn't find it in the shop...

antic604

05 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
05 Apr 2020
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... er-plug-in
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

danc

06 Apr 2020

Nerveclinic wrote:
05 Apr 2020
I used to 100% use GQ-7 for nearly all my Reason EQ jobs. Last year I invested in the full Fabfilter suite and not looked back once at GQ-7. Be clear GQ-7 was perfect ... Q3 is one step up from perfect. Why? Dynamic EQ. EQ matching. Super steep curves if you wish (inc. brickwall). Overlay other EQ instance graphs and see where things are overloading (in red)... Choice of phase options (linear / natural etc.). Spectrum grab - hang and pause your mouse over the graph and it freezes showing you the highest peaks and the semitone/octave it is - superb for getting things in tune. Full screen mode.

GQ-7 or any other RE doesn't stand a chance up against it.

HOWEVER... we are talking clean EQ - not character EQs... as that is a whole different discussion.

As for Logue saying no CV... I assume you are meaning literal CV... as you can automate everything you want in there. So - sweep the bands as you like with automation etc.
Check my Soundcloud:

selig
RE Developer

06 Apr 2020

BradfordMoeller wrote:
01 Apr 2020
I'm basically looking at my RE's trying to find an excuse not to buy the Fabfilter Q3.

What are your opinions on the Snyapse GQ-7, or Reason's Spectrum EQ for that matter? How do they compare to really high-end plugins?
I don't think any Reason EQ compares to the FabFilter EQ. And I say this as someone who has created what I feel is the best EQ in Reason! If you need all of those features, and ColoringEQ doesn't already cover them, you'll not find any other EQ as powerful.
Now, having said that, I don't actually own or use the FabFilter - I just don't find I need tons of bands an all of those options. If I had it, I MAY find uses for it. Maybe for the dynamic feature - but in Reason you can make any EQ "dynamic". I don't need the EQ matching etc. as I've spend 40 years learning how to do it by ear (and by ear is better IMO, IF you have the time to train your ear). I also learned to mix on an SSL - no spectral display to find frequencies, or flashy display etc. I realize I'm in the minority with this particular skill set, I'm simply explaining why the FabFilter, great and powerful as it is, isn't something I PERSONALLY need.

So obviously if you're staying in the RE world I'd suggest my own Coloring EQ - it's more versatile/powerful than any other RE EQ, and has full CV control (plus advance audio routing allowing you to re-build the EQ band by band), plus can be "played" by CV or MIDI and all the other things RE EQs can do. You can also get it as a part of the Mix & Mastering Bundle too!

But if you want the "latest/greatest", and don't need "Reason-centric" features such as CV and multiple outputs, FabFilter is by far the current gold standard of the VST world IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

06 Apr 2020

danc wrote:
06 Apr 2020

As for Loque saying no CV... I assume you are meaning literal CV... as you can automate everything you want in there. So - sweep the bands as you like with automation etc.
Exactly. Having a modulation going on and being able to change root value in the GUI without interferences is pretty cool stuff. Its a much better version than the CV->Automation in the VST, its like damn native CV! So if i have a moving EQ, i pick a RE in 90% of all cases.
Reason12, Win10

• Information