Chord player amidst note playing behaviour

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

It seems changing parameters on the player while a long sustained note is being played, doesn't affect the output.
The player only changes the midi notes at the start, not along.

Does anybody knows a trick to change this behaviour??

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Re8et wrote:
31 Mar 2020
It seems changing parameters on the player while a long sustained note is being played, doesn't affect the output.
The player only changes the midi notes at the start, not along.

Does anybody knows a trick to change this behaviour??
Release the key then play it again.
Or chop it up in the sequencer?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Socram
RE Developer

31 Mar 2020

This is a side effect of how MIDI works, its based on On and Off messages with specific notes. You can't change a note mid run, it would have to stop the old note and trigger a new one, which comes with a whole host of implications, so instead they maintain the sustain until the next time you trigger the device.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

Socram wrote:
31 Mar 2020
This is a side effect of how MIDI works, its based on On and Off messages with specific notes. You can't change a note mid run, it would have to stop the old note and trigger a new one, which comes with a whole host of implications, so instead they maintain the sustain until the next time you trigger the device.
Couldn't a player retrig the notes while reading for the sustained on message?
I see all players behave like this now that I 've tried.

Except Euclid rythmn... it seemss to work

Socram
RE Developer

01 Apr 2020

Re8et wrote:
31 Mar 2020
Couldn't a player retrig the notes while reading for the sustained on message?
I see all players behave like this now that I 've tried.

Except Euclid rythmn... it seemss to work
No, unfortunately that's just not MIDI events are handled, its a packaged deal. There's Note ON (a note number and a velocity >0) and Note OFF (a note number and a velocity of 0) and that's really it.

If it seems to work with Euclid it must be stopping the first note and triggering a new one, which, depending on the instrument receiving the notes might sound totally seamless, or completely disjointed.

Most players tend to opt for what I'd call the safe route, which is to sustain any running events, until the next trigger.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

• Information