How does Viking-1 compare to Viking-2?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

I'm currently trialing Viking-1 and quite like it. It has its own character. I'm considering a purchase now that it goes for €25.00. Love the warm growly bass sounds it can make.
I've trialed V-2 a long time ago so I can't compare the two side by side. I do own the Legend already and remember at the time that I preferred to work with Legend. But I wish I could trial V-2 again to see how it compares to V-1.

I know there are lots of V-2 fans out there. Do V-1 and V-2 sound different from each other, have different character? Or is V-2 basically the same synth only with more features?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

Can't really answer your questions but you I'd get VK-2 as it's great and download Viking-1 VST for free on the Blamsoft site. There you go :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2020
Can't really answer your questions but you I'd get VK-2 as it's great and download Viking-1 VST for free on the Blamsoft site. There you go :)
So you're telling me I should become a VST user? NOOOO!!! Not the annoying floating windows. :lol: I'm not ready for that. I'd rather pay the extra €25.00.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Mar 2020
MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2020
So you're telling me I should become a VST user? NOOOO!!! Not the annoying floating windows. :lol: I'm not ready for that. I'd rather pay the extra €25.00.
Arsch!!! The floating windows are only there while the VST is open and then they go away. Embrace the future. The truth will set you free.
Alternatively just get VK-2...or both...but I'd go for VK-2.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Mar 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Mar 2020

Arsch!!! The floating windows are only there while the VST is open and then they go away. Embrace the future. The truth will set you free.
Alternatively just get VK-2...or both...but I'd go for VK-2.
Yeah I'm sure I'll take that step sooner or later. :D
Thanks for your opinion.

Reasonable man

22 Mar 2020

You've watched this already but in case.
Someone posted a sale on uhe synths a while ago , think it was the Hurricane chap and i took a chance on diva and its only recently i got around to using it. Good lord. Dont get me wrong , the legend and viking synths are great but this thing has everything they have and twice more! The filters are replicas of the filters found on moog , Jupitor, juno , ms20 and a digital jp-8000 one and you mix and match them.

It's only one of 2 vst synths i own (fabfilter twin) , it can be harsh or beatuifull but you just don't get the aliasing of the hardware. The other analogue synth re models in reason cant replicate the bite of the ms-20 filter for eg ..but they have their own charm.
Diva at cost price is too expensive ..its almost £200 but in a sale its a no-brainer. Its just the filters and the filter mods i guess.

Anyway that just me. I love some of the pad sounds (combies) in vk-2 ,but because the poly has to be reduced so much in order to get em to not kill your computer ...some of the 'umph ' goes in the process.

chimp_spanner

22 Mar 2020

I have both but I still use 1 a lot! It's just a different instrument. Probably a bit simpler to use. And some of the presets are really nice - I love the Synthwave by eXode patches.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
22 Mar 2020

You've watched this already but in case.
Someone posted a sale on uhe synths a while ago , think it was the Hurricane chap and i took a chance on diva and its only recently i got around to using it. Good lord. Dont get me wrong , the legend and viking synths are great but this thing has everything they have and twice more! The filters are replicas of the filters found on moog , Jupitor, juno , ms20 and a digital jp-8000 one and you mix and match them.

It's only one of 2 vst synths i own (fabfilter twin) , it can be harsh or beatuifull but you just don't get the aliasing of the hardware. The other analogue synth re models in reason cant replicate the bite of the ms-20 filter for eg ..but they have their own charm.
Diva at cost price is too expensive ..its almost £200 but in a sale its a no-brainer. Its just the filters and the filter mods i guess.

Anyway that just me. I love some of the pad sounds (combies) in vk-2 ,but because the poly has to be reduced so much in order to get em to not kill your computer ...some of the 'umph ' goes in the process.
I've heard a lot of good things about Diva. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point once I've left my little Reason bubble that I'm in now. :) For now I'll stick with REs.
Tbh I'm not really knowledgeable or even overly interested in old synths. It's just that when I've trialed a lot of synths some of the ones I've liked has been emulation based synths.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Mar 2020
I have both but I still use 1 a lot! It's just a different instrument. Probably a bit simpler to use. And some of the presets are really nice - I love the Synthwave by eXode patches.
Nice to know they sound different. That's one of the things I was wondering about. Like I said it was a long time ago, but from what I can remember from my trial, Vk-2 didn't have the same character. The fact that Vk-1 is simpler to use is a plus for me. If I do buy V-2 it's strictly gonna be a preset machine. I'm sure the tweakability and endless options means fun times for a lot of people, not so much for me. I only tweak the smaller not so overwhelming synths.

loopeydoug

22 Mar 2020

I have both. Vk-2 has 6 voice polyphony. It also has built-in effects. They're both both great. Depends on budget and the points mentioned above, as far as I can figure.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2020

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I think I've made up my mind. I'm gonna get the Vk-1 for now. I played around with it some more just now and found myself tweaking the thing and really enjoying myself. There are only a handful of synths that I like making patches with and this seems to be one of them.
Also from what I understand from some of the comments here is that the two synths are different beasts anyway. That was something I wondered about. So if I get Vk-2 later on I won't feel like I've just upgraded, meaning wasted my money on the "first version" first.

If a moderator sees this feel free to close the thread. Or if people want to continue talking about the topic, that's fine too of course. But my desicion is made. Vk-1 it is.

zoidkirb

22 Mar 2020

Vk1 is pretty underrated imo, and is a really fun synth to tweak out with. Based of the Moog Voyager I believe. Vk2 is inspired by something else.
I've got both versions and obviously always opt for the re in Reason. But I gotta say the bigger sized vst version really is very pretty.

• Information