Kompulsion Mix page?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chimp_spanner

10 Mar 2020

Hey everyone! Was just going over the manual for this device and realised the Mix page is not in it. Is there any info about it and how it works?

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

it compares the current playing value of a given sequence to that of another sequence and might make a change to it based on a selected rule. its been a while since i have tried to work out what some of the more obscure rules are, perhaps the device has been out long enough for panda to release the secret lost page of the manual?
- Certified Reason expert

chimp_spanner

10 Mar 2020

Bes wrote:
10 Mar 2020
it compares the current playing value of a given sequence to that of another sequence and might make a change to it based on a selected rule. its been a while since i have tried to work out what some of the more obscure rules are, perhaps the device has been out long enough for panda to release the secret lost page of the manual?
Yeah I figured it was something like that but I have no idea how it works! I was using it to sequence acoustic drums and wanted to make it so that a crash would over-ride a hi-hat to avoid three drums being played at the same time.

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

so with note substitution we could explain it as sequencer 1 pushing the rhythm of the gates/triggers which might only need be 1 bar or less and sequencer 2 can be a longer sequence acting like a puppeteer and needs not have any gates at all. if the rule is that seq 1 will output the highest note value of the 2 sequencers, then change the note values of sequence 2 to puppeteer those note values. nb the note value only needs to lower or equal to the value of seq 1 in order to have no effect

on the mix page with seq 1 active this would look like
seq 1 mix page high note.JPG
seq 1 mix page high note.JPG (76.96 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
and the values of seq 2 might look like this
seq 2 note values.JPG
seq 2 note values.JPG (77.15 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

oops to be clear, that gate on seq 2 doesnt need to be active only the note value

Bes
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2020

extending the puppeteer analogy to the rules of addition, subtraction and average all work the same way as you would expect and each parameter has its own boundary values, velocity cannot be subtracted below 0 or added above 127. octave switching has only 5 values. the list of notes on the right side of the device becomes the boundaries for the note values. in the image of my last post notes could not be added above D#2 or subtracted below C1.

Modulo is modular arithmatic, which is likened to an analogue clock repeating values in mod12 (9oclock + 5 hours = 2oclock) and in Kompulsion the rule of S1 Modulo S2 is the value is S1 becomes the number of values to wrap S2 around. to use the clock example again and use the rule on the AUX signal, if S1Aux is a STATIC value of 12 then whatever value S2Aux puts out just gets wrapped around the clock again and again until it runs out of any remainder and whatever "time" it ends up on is the value outputted by the S2 Aux channel. of course the "clock" is as large as whatever value S1 is at the time of processing and if the clock keeps changing size then it's not exactly useful for keeping time, but since we're making music not time pieces it can be extremely musical to use this rule on notes too

BRIGGS

10 Mar 2020

r11s

Bes
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2020

oh heck, that is completely unreadable. writing things is h a r d

BRIGGS

15 Mar 2020

Bes wrote:
11 Mar 2020
:puf_smile: It's ok, things are over my head at this point.
r11s

Mataya

22 Dec 2020

Yeah, I would really need a page from a manual for this. Panda?

M

teddymcw

22 Dec 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
15 Mar 2020
Bes wrote:
11 Mar 2020
:puf_smile: It's ok, things are over my head at this point.
Lol :) , I can see Bes is likely a great programmer of some sorts with that thorough explanation, but I think one can say modulo really just means remainder in practical terms.

zoidkirb

22 Dec 2020

A little bit of information here.

viewtopic.php?t=7507385

I looked up Kompulsion on YouTube and it's a bit depressing to see only two videos: the original promo vid and a typical rambling Hydelide talk.

I see it's on sale for $19 . I do like Korde and Propulsion...is the upgrade worth it or would that money be better spent towards Sequences?

antic604

23 Dec 2020

More like Konfusion mix page, eh? :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Mataya

23 Dec 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
22 Dec 2020

viewtopic.php?t=7507385

I looked up Kompulsion on YouTube and it's a bit depressing to see only two videos: the original promo vid and a typical rambling Hydelide talk.

I see it's on sale for $19 . I do like Korde and Propulsion...is the upgrade worth it or would that money be better spent towards Sequences?
Actually Panda's response here is quite helpful. I figured it out my self sort of, but you'll need to have an idea or example first and then try and see how it will come out. I don't have that yet. :)

I think it's the best step sequncer(actually 16 of them) out there to be honest and very happy that I bought it. Only thing (mst of sequncrs are missing) is negative per step timing/shuffle/ticks/shfit possibilities. You just need that for a groove. But it has postive shift per step, so that's ok I guess.

Just buy the damn thing. It's so cheap and so good.

M

zoidkirb

23 Dec 2020

Mataya wrote:
23 Dec 2020
zoidkirb wrote:
22 Dec 2020

viewtopic.php?t=7507385

Actually Panda's response here is quite helpful. I figured it out my self sort of, but you'll need to have an idea or example first and then try and see how it will come out. I don't have that yet. :)

I think it's the best step sequncer(actually 16 of them) out there to be honest and very happy that I bought it. Only thing (mst of sequncrs are missing) is negative per step timing/shuffle/ticks/shfit possibilities. You just need that for a groove. But it has postive shift per step, so that's ok I guess.

M
Well awkward, I caved several hours ago haha.
I knew it would be better than the old utilities but in one device, no cv cables needed.

Loving it so far, there's a lot too learn.
As for negative shifts I guess that's the nature of the beast. I've recently got in the habit of printing out players to midi anyway and applying my grooves there.

Mataya

23 Dec 2020

zoidkirb wrote:
23 Dec 2020
Mataya wrote:
23 Dec 2020

M
Well awkward, I caved several hours ago haha.
I knew it would be better than the old utilities but in one device, no cv cables needed.

Loving it so far, there's a lot too learn.
As for negative shifts I guess that's the nature of the beast. I've recently got in the habit of printing out players to midi anyway and applying my grooves there.
Glad you did. :) I'm trying to avoid reason sequncer as much as I can. Not because I think it's bad, just I prefer doing it all in the rack. So I think I'll get sequnces RE at some point as well. And I hope that will be the end of it. I just like sequencers.
I have Time shift from RB, whic comes handy in those situations where I really want negative/rushing groove.
Panda s awesome, but also Robotic Bean. :)

M

zoidkirb

23 Dec 2020

Mataya wrote:
23 Dec 2020

Glad you did. :) I'm trying to avoid reason sequncer as much as I can. Not because I think it's bad, just I prefer doing it all in the rack. So I think I'll get sequnces RE at some point as well. And I hope that will be the end of it. I just like sequencers.
I have Time shift from RB, whic comes handy in those situations where I really want negative/rushing groove.
Panda s awesome, but also Robotic Bean. :)

M
I'm similar in that I try and get as much of the musical activity happening in the rack before I touch the sequencer. Lately I've conceded that when eventually it comes down to making finished songs there's a choice between using a lot of automation or printing audio or midi....either that's gonna involve the sequencer.

Yes the sequencer ain't great but for organisational purposes it's good if you keep on top of ordering tracks, and deleting unused lanes and tracks. And midi editing is functional enough for basic editing and cleaning up of things I've printed out of the Players.

I might get Sequences eventually too, even though step input was never a thing I use often in other DAWs.
Between Kompulsion, PSQ, Delta and a bunch of other lesser players and utilities I think I'm covered for a long time.

• Information