Beat Map LockXY remote item

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
electrofux

01 Mar 2020

Can we get the 4 Lock XY buttons remotable? Would make alot sense for Live fiddling. Every other parameter is remotable and XY Lock can be adressed by the combinator programmer so maybe the jump is not so far.

Mint

01 Mar 2020

[Edit]

Wait a min, think I read your post too quickly. :roll:

buddard
RE Developer

01 Mar 2020

electrofux wrote:
01 Mar 2020
Can we get the 4 Lock XY buttons remotable? Would make alot sense for Live fiddling. Every other parameter is remotable and XY Lock can be adressed by the combinator programmer so maybe the jump is not so far.
It would not have the desired effect, because Remote controlling the "Lock" property does nothing except for switching between the channel's locked coordinate set (which defaults to 0, 0) and the global coordinate set.

When you click on a lock button (which is actually a custom display in disguise), three properties are changed simultaneously:
- The "Lock" property for the channel is set to true (which tells the device to use the other set of coordinates instead)
- The corresponding "Locked X Position" and "Locked Y Position" properties are set to the current global X and Y coordinates respectively

The reason we left Automation in is that if you play around with the locks while recording, all necessary automation lanes are created automatically, so you can play around and everything gets recorded.

It's less useful to access the Lock properties via a combinator since you run into the same limitations as Remote, but we came to the conclusion that it was an acceptable trade-off, and you can achieve some weird results by modulating the locked XY coordinates separately. :)

electrofux

01 Mar 2020

buddard wrote:
01 Mar 2020
electrofux wrote:
01 Mar 2020
It would not have the desired effect, because Remote controlling the "Lock" property does nothing except for switching between the channel's locked coordinate set (which defaults to 0, 0) and the global coordinate set.

When you click on a lock button (which is actually a custom display in disguise), three properties are changed simultaneously:
- The "Lock" property for the channel is set to true (which tells the device to use the other set of coordinates instead)
- The corresponding "Locked X Position" and "Locked Y Position" properties are set to the current global X and Y coordinates respectively

The reason we left Automation in is that if you play around with the locks while recording, all necessary automation lanes are created automatically, so you can play around and everything gets recorded.

It's less useful to access the Lock properties via a combinator since you run into the same limitations as Remote, but we came to the conclusion that it was an acceptable trade-off, and you can achieve some weird results by modulating the locked XY coordinates separately. :)
Yeah accessing the Lock properties via the combinator is behaving kinda weird.
But if you had all three Locked, Locked Pos X and Locked Pos Y as remote items, you could all bind them (with a codec) to a pad and have them functioning as expected right? Or is there no way to possibly make this remote it? Feels like a shame to not being able to remote control the locks.

buddard
RE Developer

01 Mar 2020

electrofux wrote:
01 Mar 2020
But if you had all three Locked, Locked Pos X and Locked Pos Y as remote items, you could all bind them (with a codec) to a pad and have them functioning as expected right? Or is there no way to possibly make this remote it? Feels like a shame to not being able to remote control the locks.
I don't know if it's possible, because I'm not familiar with the Remote SDK.
To enable the lock, the codec would have to copy "X Position" and "Y Position" to "Kick X Position" and "Kick Y Position", and then set "Kick Lock" to true.
To disable again, it would just have to set "Kick Lock" to false.

electrofux

01 Mar 2020

buddard wrote:
01 Mar 2020
electrofux wrote:
01 Mar 2020
I don't know if it's possible, because I'm not familiar with the Remote SDK.
To enable the lock, the codec would have to copy "X Position" and "Y Position" to "Kick X Position" and "Kick Y Position", and then set "Kick Lock" to true.
To disable again, it would just have to set "Kick Lock" to false.
if these three items were available as remote items it is no problem at all.

electrofux

08 Mar 2020

Question is, would it break something if the individual lock positions and and the locks itself would be present in the midi remote list?

I mean, the thing with the lock buttons being only on/off buttons and the individual positions had to be defined by the individual LockX/Y positions is a bit weird (with some advantages though) but everyone could decide to integrate it or not. And confusion is already present about this with the combinator :-)

electrofux

13 Mar 2020

Ok to finnish this off, i fiddled around with the combinator in the hopes i can utilize the combinator items to make the locks remotable. Long story short, i didnt succeed. I was thinking the actual locking process kindoff stamps the locations into some kind of lockXY memory so i can still just use one xy control and lock the individual positions.
But these items are not programmed this way and now i understand what you said above. In a remote codec however the same items could be utilized differently as you could never touch the indiv XY positions apart from when you press Lock - for example say: copy current XY to Kick XY if Lock is pressed and active. The whole thing would be 5 lines of code and a bit of framework.

Whatever, if you find the time and it wouldnt break anything, it would be cool to have 4 locked positions and the lock as remote items if not then not.

joeyluck

13 Mar 2020

Will it ever be possible to lock XY positions across different maps of a single Beat Map? That would be useful.

For now, I use a few Beat Maps if wanting to explore combinations of different maps. But it feels like an unnecessary workaround.

• Information