RE request/idea - Turing Machine

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
lowtom

21 Feb 2020

It would be great to have Rack Extension version of Turing Machine by Music Thing Modular: https://musicthing.co.uk/pages/turing.html

I noticed that someone already made one for Ableton Live in Maxforlive:
https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5 ... ng-machine

:reason: :refill: :re:

Loque

21 Feb 2020

Might not be the same, but isnt that enough?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... /psq-1684/
Reason12, Win10

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

21 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
PSQ does a great Turing Machine, and then some. One of my favorite devices of all time. :ugeek:

lowtom

21 Feb 2020

Oh. Thanks!
I don't know why I never checked that. I must explore RE Shop with more attention then :puf_bigsmile:

DJMaytag

21 Feb 2020

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I’m interested in anything that comes from the Modular/ Eurorack realm, but... I really don’t like to say this, but UI is a big deal, and there’s some crazy popular module hardware out there that I won’t touch because I don’t like the look of it and/or it isn’t very intuitive to decipher the panel.

PSQ-1684 could stand to be a bit bigger so as to not cram a billion things into a small panel, as well as it could use some nicer looking graphics (I often say the same about Make Noise modules, which I’m not really a fan of, despite several of their modules being #1 sellers).

Given the choice of using 2 RE’s that look like the M4L image posted in the OP or PSQ-1684, I’d gravitate towards the M4L device.

Just my .02.

DJMaytag

21 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I’m interested in anything that comes from the Modular/ Eurorack realm, but... and I really don’t like to say this... but UI is a big deal. There's some crazy popular modular hardware out there that I won’t touch because I don’t like the look of it and/or it isn’t very intuitive to decipher the panel (it’s usually a combo of both).

PSQ-1684 could stand to be a bit bigger so as to not cram a billion things into a small panel, as well as it could use some nicer looking graphics (I often say the same about Make Noise modules, which I’m not really a fan of, despite several of their modules being #1 sellers).

Given the choice of using 2 RE’s that look like the M4L image posted in the OP or PSQ-1684, I’d gravitate towards the M4L device.

Just my .02.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
I’m interested in anything that comes from the Modular/ Eurorack realm, but... I really don’t like to say this, but UI is a big deal, and there’s some crazy popular module hardware out there that I won’t touch because I don’t like the look of it and/or it isn’t very intuitive to decipher the panel.

Just my .02.
I love Lectric Panda GUI designs but damn that's crammed! Especially when it could have been made twice the size and stretched everything out

Spaceship

21 Feb 2020

If you have Reaktor there are Turing machine modules for that as well.

challism

21 Feb 2020

I love PSQ and everything Le Panda puts out. Here's a combi I made using Robotic Beans free CV switch. It has all the PSQ sequencer channels routed through the switch and connected to the instrument. It's a quick and easy way to cycle through the different sequencer channels. The combi buttons are programmed to turn on/off the different channels. The ID8 instrument is a placeholder, just drag and drop an instrument of your choice to replace it. This combi saves me a lot of time from having to rewire this every time.
PSQ+8xCVswitch.zip
(3.82 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Rackman

22 Feb 2020

Just wait a little longer and pick up VCV Rack for DAWs when it drops. Should be easy enough to drive REs from it, so you'll have a proper Turing machine to play with along with a tonne of brilliant modules for generative work.

When you compare the price (~$100) to PSQ, or indeed upgrading Reason, it's a no-brainer.

Yonatan

22 Feb 2020

I did not even knew these things existed. Very nice ways of doing some unpredictable sound scape sequences.

lowtom

22 Feb 2020

Great suggestions everyone.

To generate random notes, I ended up hooking random LFO from Pulsar, to CV Tuner.
What I really need now is some CV looper device which would catch CV generated "phrases" and repeat it with desired length set.

I think I will need to convert CV to Audio and back and use delay module in-between with infinite feedback to be able to catch/loop CV signals or is there another way?

Rackman

22 Feb 2020

In VCV:

Now imagine that sending gate and note CV into Reason.

Loque

22 Feb 2020

lowtom wrote:
22 Feb 2020
Great suggestions everyone.

To generate random notes, I ended up hooking random LFO from Pulsar, to CV Tuner.
What I really need now is some CV looper device which would catch CV generated "phrases" and repeat it with desired length set.

I think I will need to convert CV to Audio and back and use delay module in-between with infinite feedback to be able to catch/loop CV signals or is there another way?
Shape can record it, Lolth can delay signals.
Reason12, Win10

DJMaytag

22 Feb 2020

You should be able to convert CV to audio (or directly record the “audio LFO” from Pulsar) by using the Robotic Bean CVIO suite. It converts CV to audio as well as audio to CV. Send that converted CV to an audio track, and record it.

electrofux

24 Feb 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
21 Feb 2020
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2020
PSQ does a great Turing Machine, and then some. One of my favorite devices of all time. :ugeek:
Is there an example Patch somwhere for this?
I have tried to get a Turing Machine out of it but didnt succeed (though i am pretty sure you can). I ended up with a big spaghetti wired Combinator incubating some weird modules to resemble at least a usable 8 bit shift register which did the trick in the end (and it is so cool for generative music - the turing machine idea is ingenious). But a PSQ patch would be alot more simple.

electrofux

25 Feb 2020

Matthias, are you sure you can get a Turing Machine out of the PSQ or just something evolving? Sitting in front of it and scratching my head about how to make one of the macro knobs behave like in the Turing Machine.

DJMaytag

29 Feb 2020

I hadn’t used Quad Note Generator in a while, but I did the last couple days, and that player seems to have a bit of similarities to some aspects of the Turing Machine. Anyone else think so?

SebAudio

01 Mar 2020

aeox wrote:
21 Feb 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
21 Feb 2020

Just my .02.
I love Lectric Panda GUI designs but damn that's crammed! Especially when it could have been made twice the size and stretched everything out
I too don’t like the UIs. Too bad the RE seems to be interresting. But There are so many possibilities today that I only go with UIs that appeal to me. Hoppefuly Reason HD will make them clearer ?

Rackman

01 Mar 2020

Yeah. I find PSQ to be effectively unusable. It needs a lot more space, or to have been split into multiple REs. That's the beauty of the Turing machine. It's so simple but immensely powerful when coupled with other modules.

challism

01 Mar 2020

What about something like this? Combi attached. I have PSQ's CV ins hooked up to a couple Pulsars. They are routed to the quantizer knobs, also to the sequencer source and quantizer selection knob. COmbi knobs are set to the LFO speeds. This gives some pretty random results. Tweak all the settings to your taste.
Here's the combi:
PSQ Turing.zip
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
This one is a bit more extreme, running sequencer 1 & 2 with random switching of the note and gate (making it very random). Required Pongasoft's Free CV Switch. Again, knobs need to be tweaked to shape it into something you like, but I think this could serve as a good starting point.
PSQ Turing2.zip
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
turing.JPG
turing.JPG (36.12 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

challism

01 Mar 2020

Alternatively, there is Lectric Panda's RND which does as its name implies. Here is a combi using RND, MIDI-CV Converter, Scales & Chords (to keep it in key), Robotic Bean's Select CV Switch. I have randomized the Matrix patterns. Obviously, you could add more Matrix devices (up to 8) and crank up the LFO level.
LP RND.zip
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

• Information