Note latch?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 31 Jan 2020

Is there a Re that would enable me to press a note and have it hold until I pressed that note again to stop it?


User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 3503
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 31 Jan 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Is there a Re that would enable me to press a note and have it hold until I pressed that note again to stop it?
Hahaha. Was thinking exactly the same thing this morning. I have a vague memory that I could do that before but I might have dreamt it. Might have been a VST. I’ll let you know if it comes back to me.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 31 Jan 2020

I thought it would be a great module to have in Delta midi computer. Where you could set the duration of a note to a time or until the same note is pressed again. An if module would let you set the note. Would be perfect for triggering sequence patches or loop samples.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6655
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 31 Jan 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
31 Jan 2020
I thought it would be a great module to have in Delta midi computer. Where you could set the duration of a note to a time or until the same note is pressed again. An if module would let you set the note. Would be perfect for triggering sequence patches or loop samples.
Interesting idea. Something like a toggle with defineable trigger/retrigger to make it switch and switch back and a defined output (input value, defined value, random, minx, max, output from different input, through, ...). This way You can go once in this direction, and once in the other.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

electrofux
Posts: 673
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jan 2020

Note latch could also be coded into your remote codec.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 31 Jan 2020

electrofux wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Note latch could also be coded into your remote codec.
I saw the Nektar T4/6 has this function. I guess they coded that in like you say. I'm terrible with code though and I'm not buying another Nektar product so I need a Re solution!

Bes
Posts: 275
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 31 Jan 2020

this is the main reason i purchased trigate by quadelectra https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/trigate/ and that only made it slightly easier

ab459
Posts: 95
Joined: 28 Dec 2018
Location: Minsk Belarus

Post 01 Feb 2020

That fun, reminded me topic that i made in past year
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7513871

User avatar
Noiserunner
Posts: 48
Joined: 26 Sep 2018
Location: Munich, Germany

Post 02 Feb 2020

Bes wrote:
31 Jan 2020
this is the main reason i purchased trigate by quadelectra https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... n/trigate/ and that only made it slightly easier
I tried it out with no success to hold a note. What is the trick? The max. gate length seems to be 2 seconds (x2).
Last edited by Noiserunner on 02 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.
I was and still am an amateur, but I have a lot of fun making music (or noise :D ).
(MacBook Pro 13", Catalina, Reason 11 Suite (sometimes Ableton, Logic Pro X), some soft- and hardware)

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 727
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 02 Feb 2020

Latch note you can made with thor sequencer, but every note need one of thors.

Bes
Posts: 275
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 02 Feb 2020

Noiserunner wrote:
02 Feb 2020
I tried it out with no success to hold a note. What is the trick? The max. gate length seems to be 2 seconds (x2).
it does not hold the note forever, it defines the length of the note up to 2 bars long. for me this is long enough to be a musically useful note latch tool

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 02 Feb 2020

I can get two bars worth out of Sequences player on one shot mode. It's not long enough for my needs though I want infinite!

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
Posts: 360
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 02 Feb 2020

I’ll see what I can do 😊

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 02 Feb 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
02 Feb 2020
I’ll see what I can do 😊
Can I pre-order? 😁

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
Posts: 360
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 02 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Enlightenspeed wrote:
02 Feb 2020
I’ll see what I can do 😊
Can I pre-order? 😁
It’s your idea 💡
You get it for free 😊

Sterioevo
Posts: 108
Joined: 02 Apr 2015

Post 02 Feb 2020

ljekio wrote:
02 Feb 2020
Latch note you can made with thor sequencer, but every note need one of thors.
I haven't tried in this scenario but you can transpose thors sequencer in the mod section, so you may be able to use the keyboard, e.g Key -> transpose

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 727
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 03 Feb 2020

Poly latch require one thor on every note. Transpose is not help here, i guess.
Because sequencer give open and close note by two steps.

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
Posts: 360
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 08 Feb 2020

Ok, did a 4 trigger build of this last week and it works pretty well, however transposing mid-note is a tricky thing to do, partially because of how notes work in Reason. Effectively it will have to have a “notes off” function when it leaves a particular note, so when you scroll through a bunch of notes while it is on then it will tend to switch off other notes. Does this make sense?

It’s bad practice to just leave notes on because they are then hanging until the stop command is received from the transport.

How does this sound?

User avatar
ljekio
Posts: 727
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 08 Feb 2020

My 3 cents: that good when note latching with selected quantize (from whole note to 16th or shorter). For perfect start/stop device for any events and scenes.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 330
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 08 Feb 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
08 Feb 2020
Ok, did a 4 trigger build of this last week and it works pretty well, however transposing mid-note is a tricky thing to do, partially because of how notes work in Reason. Effectively it will have to have a “notes off” function when it leaves a particular note, so when you scroll through a bunch of notes while it is on then it will tend to switch off other notes. Does this make sense?

It’s bad practice to just leave notes on because they are then hanging until the stop command is received from the transport.

How does this sound?
Personally I don't think transposing mid note is important. Key press note on, same key press note off would be the core use case.

A kind of timer would be a bonus like, key press opens gate for 4 bars or 300ms or something.

Great that your working on this, pretty exciting!

Bes
Posts: 275
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 08 Feb 2020

can i suggest a mono option where the note is transposed if a new midi key is entered and can be triggered off manually by the same midi key that is playing. i agree that a timer would also be useful.

Arjanders
Posts: 22
Joined: 30 May 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Feb 2020
I can get two bars worth out of Sequences player on one shot mode. It's not long enough for my needs though I want infinite!
Infinite you can get with the Euclid Rhythm generator (if you have that device)
Density on 100% and width on 100%

If you are controlling a poly synth but just want 1 note to be droning, you might need some extra routing with a one note stand (free device).
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ote-stand/

1. The Euclid and the One-Note inside a combinator, both receiving notes and route the gate from the One-Note to the reset in of the Euclid.
2. The gate and pitch out of the Euclid will go inside the synth (or: another combinator / CV player tab).

Or if you want the behaviour that every new note information is still playing on a poly, than don't (:
You might want adjust the maximum of polyphony to 3 or 4 for infinite chords.

User avatar
Enlightenspeed
Posts: 360
Joined: 03 Jan 2019

Post 09 Feb 2020

Arjanders wrote:
09 Feb 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
02 Feb 2020
I can get two bars worth out of Sequences player on one shot mode. It's not long enough for my needs though I want infinite!
Infinite you can get with the Euclid Rhythm generator (if you have that device)
Density on 100% and width on 100%

If you are controlling a poly synth but just want 1 note to be droning, you might need some extra routing with a one note stand (free device).
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ote-stand/

1. The Euclid and the One-Note inside a combinator, both receiving notes and route the gate from the One-Note to the reset in of the Euclid.
2. The gate and pitch out of the Euclid will go inside the synth (or: another combinator / CV player tab).

Or if you want the behaviour that every new note information is still playing on a poly, than don't (:
You might want adjust the maximum of polyphony to 3 or 4 for infinite chords.
Cool 😎

Can anyone else confirm that this works?

Bes
Posts: 275
Joined: 22 Feb 2017

Post 09 Feb 2020

sure i can confirm that this works and i like it thankyou Arjanders.

it is a bit clumsy and often results in unintended poly notes unless the synth is set to mono
intentional poly notes can't by transposed
note start/stop is locked to transport

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests