Rack Extensions SDK - Build issue

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Simone Lombardo

30 Jan 2020

After almost a week I finally got access to the developer tools and downloaded the Rack Extensions SDK. I already had Visual Studio and Python, so the only thing I had to install was Reason Recon (I haven't installed the GUI editor yet, but if I'm correct it's not required).

Before starting to create anything I wanted to try to build one of the example projects included in the SDK, so I followed the instructions on the new developer site. On my PC, Python's path is "C:/Python38-32/python.exe", so, after moving to the example project folder in the Visual Studio command prompt, I entered the command "C:/Python38-32/python.exe build45.py local45 Testing". A bunch of code and stuff appeared, so I thought the project was built successfully, but I didn't find the "RackExtensions_Dev" folder under "AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software" (which should be the destination folder, according to the site) and nothing showed up in Recon. I don't think I forgot anything during the setup, so what could possibly be the problem? Thanks!

Here's a screenshot of the error:
Last edited by Simone Lombardo on 31 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Jan 2020

You can ask your question at https://www.reasonstudios.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=31 where the Reason Studios staff can help you with your problem as it may be a defect of the new SDK 4.1.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried creating the "RackExtensions_Dev" folder and rebuilding the project?

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

30 Jan 2020

Simone Lombardo wrote:
30 Jan 2020
After almost a week I finally got access to the developer tools and downloaded the Rack Extensions SDK. I already had Visual Studio and Python, so the only thing I had to install was Reason Recon (I haven't installed the GUI editor yet, but if I'm correct it's not required).

Before starting to create anything I wanted to try to build one of the example projects included in the SDK, so I followed the instructions on the new developer site. On my PC, Python's path is "C:/Python38-32/python.exe", so, after moving to the example project folder in the Visual Studio command prompt, I entered the command "C:/Python38-32/python.exe build45.py local45 Testing". A bunch of code and stuff appeared, so I thought the project was built successfully, but I didn't find the "RackExtensions_Dev" folder under "AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software" (which should be the destination folder, according to the site) and nothing showed up in Recon. I don't think I forgot anything during the setup, so what could possibly be the problem? Thanks!

You just call the Python script from within your project folder, you don't explicitly call Python from itself. What happens is that the terminal knows how to use Python from the 64-bit command prompt and you are telling the command prompt to tell Python to run the script called build45.py, so you would navigate to your folder thus:

cd C:/<NowWhereTheHellDidIPutTheProjectFolder;)>

and then run this:
python build45.py local45 Testing

The other arguments "local45" and "testing" relate to how the script will run. When you run a project for others to test, change local45 to universal45, which will means it will do it for both Mac and PC on the RS build server so you can allocate it to testers. Like this:

python build45.py universal45 Testing

Then for acceptance testing with RS, post-normal user testing before release you change the final bit to "Deployment", like this:

python build45.py universal45 Deployment

All of these commands in the console are triggered from the location of the build script.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Simone Lombardo

31 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
30 Jan 2020
You can ask your question at https://www.reasonstudios.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=31 where the Reason Studios staff can help you with your problem as it may be a defect of the new SDK 4.1.

EDIT: Btw, have you tried creating the "RackExtensions_Dev" folder and rebuilding the project?
That forum seems to be closed, or at least that's what I see when I open the link.

Anyway, I will try to create the folder later, thanks for the suggestion.
Enlightenspeed wrote:
30 Jan 2020
You just call the Python script from within your project folder, you don't explicitly call Python from itself. What happens is that the terminal knows how to use Python from the 64-bit command prompt and you are telling the command prompt to tell Python to run the script called build45.py, so you would navigate to your folder thus:

and then run this:

The other arguments "local45" and "testing" relate to how the script will run. When you run a project for others to test, change local45 to universal45, which will means it will do it for both Mac and PC on the RS build server so you can allocate it to testers. Like this:

Then for acceptance testing with RS, post-normal user testing before release you change the final bit to "Deployment", like this:

All of these commands in the console are triggered from the location of the build script.

Hope this helps,
Brian
I already knew about the "cd" thing, and in fact I'm pretty sure the command prompt managed to correctly navigate to the project folder. Regarding the Python command, only typing "python" at the beginning doesn't work for me, so I have to type the full python.exe path and it seemed to work... Until I checked the AppData folders.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

31 Jan 2020

Simone Lombardo wrote:
31 Jan 2020
orthodox wrote:
30 Jan 2020

That forum seems to be closed, or at least that's what I see when I open the link.

Enlightenspeed wrote:
30 Jan 2020

and then run this:

Hope this helps,
Brian
I already knew about the "cd" thing, and in fact I'm pretty sure the command prompt managed to correctly navigate to the project folder. Regarding the Python command, only typing "python" at the beginning doesn't work for me, so I have to type the full python.exe path and it seemed to work... Until I checked the AppData folders.
That's weird because python.exe isn't in that folder? Are you on Python 3?

If Python 3 is struggling, you might want to try python 2.7 as an alternative, you just change the method to:

py -2 build45.py local45 Testing

Can you also just confirm that you are using VS2017 and your command prompt is the "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS2017"?

Simone Lombardo

31 Jan 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
31 Jan 2020
That's weird because python.exe isn't in that folder? Are you on Python 3?

If Python 3 is struggling, you might want to try python 2.7 as an alternative, you just change the method to:

py -2 build45.py local45 Testing

Can you also just confirm that you are using VS2017 and your command prompt is the "x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for VS2017"?
Yes, I use Python 3.8 and I have the latest version of the SDK (4.1.0). From the release notes: "Build scripts upgraded to python 3", so that shouldn't be a problem.

My Visual Studio version is 2019, but I haven't encountered any issues related to it. I don't know about the command prompt, will check later.

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Jan 2020

Simone Lombardo wrote:
31 Jan 2020
orthodox wrote:
30 Jan 2020

You need to log in to RS first and check the agreement at https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dev ... nt-details
The forum is alive and I can see it.

Simone Lombardo

31 Jan 2020

orthodox wrote:
31 Jan 2020
Simone Lombardo wrote:
31 Jan 2020

You need to log in to RS first and check the agreement at https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dev ... nt-details
The forum is alive and I can see it.
Oh shit, you're right. Maybe I should've tried to log in before. Thanks!

• Information