REs by ujam: What do you want to see?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BRIGGS

27 Feb 2020

r11s

Lov2sing

27 Feb 2020

Double bass would be nice and be able to see and select the sample instead it shown as a name only. Also a user area so we can upload other samples from refills would be great. Actually to be able to build my own kit wit what ever amount of drums I want instead of having preset kits.
We make music for a reason

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

Lov2sing wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Actually to be able to build my own kit wit what ever amount of drums I want instead of having preset kits.
We have a lot of options for this already :thumbs_up:

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Feb 2020

We are swimming in options for sample-based drum machines right now (especially if you got Umpf Club/Retro and RDK with Suite), so I don't think we need any more of those for the time being.

Where I think Reason could do with some more percussion options, however, is drum synths. Noise Engineering has been doing some great work with its Eurorack ports, but I'd love to see a multi-channel device that has maybe a few different algorithms. Something like Tokyo from Korg Gadget would be an incredible addition to the rack.

HeresJohnny312

27 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Feb 2020
HeresJohnny312 wrote:
27 Feb 2020
I want to see a more complex synthesizer/workstation device , not so much geared at being easy but at being cool to use and fun to make new sounds!
Using them to supplement a track at the very end or when I'm adding pads, bells/whistles, etc, is ideal for me.

They are good for real instruments and things that are nearly impossible to synthesize. "A rompler is an electronic music instrument that plays pre-fabricated sounds based on audio samples" This still means things like sample libraries of real instruments and such?

Everything has it's place. I just tend not to use romplers very much. And they take up so much space on my 500gb HD :lol:

-millennial
The funny thing is an average romplers factory bank is usually 10gb or less which is like about 2 or 3 4k movies, if you cant seem to make space on your hd for a few movies then thats another problem unto itself lol. Id say romplers fill a void that synthesizers are incapable and vice versa. So when I do love expanse synthesizer for instance, making a few instances totally hits my cpu (mind you I have apple pro ,imac pro and macbook pro, everything latest and greatest). so the benefits outweigh the cost in my opinion. Sorry for the rant!

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

fieldframe wrote:
27 Feb 2020
Where I think Reason could do with some more percussion options, however, is drum synths. Noise Engineering has been doing some great work with its Eurorack ports, but I'd love to see a multi-channel device that has maybe a few different algorithms. Something like Tokyo from Korg Gadget would be an incredible addition to the rack.
Interesting that you mention it :D
I'm obsessed with synth drums, especially kick/snare! Been working on my own kick and snare combinators for a while that I use in all my music.

Hats, toms, claps too! (not always though, sometimes I just want some acoustic drums for these ones) A mix of synth/physical modeled drums has yielded good results for me.
I want to turn these into an RE eventually but it's a daunting task to think about. Considering that a lot of time would be taken away from making music. Hiring a dev to bring these ideas into fruition is an option, but not sure of the cost involved.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2020

HeresJohnny312 wrote:
27 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
27 Feb 2020

Using them to supplement a track at the very end or when I'm adding pads, bells/whistles, etc, is ideal for me.

They are good for real instruments and things that are nearly impossible to synthesize. "A rompler is an electronic music instrument that plays pre-fabricated sounds based on audio samples" This still means things like sample libraries of real instruments and such?

Everything has it's place. I just tend not to use romplers very much. And they take up so much space on my 500gb HD :lol:

-millennial
The funny thing is an average romplers factory bank is usually 10gb or less which is like about 2 or 3 4k movies, if you cant seem to make space on your hd for a few movies then thats another problem unto itself lol. Id say romplers fill a void that synthesizers are incapable and vice versa. So when I do love expanse synthesizer for instance, making a few instances totally hits my cpu (mind you I have apple pro ,imac pro and macbook pro, everything latest and greatest). so the benefits outweigh the cost in my opinion. Sorry for the rant!
I run really high buffer size, so I don't really have CPU issues that you describe.
But there's nothing wrong with using whatever you want to make your music. They both have pros and cons and neither are better than the other.

We all appreciate music in different ways right? Well, what REALLY piques my interest(along with drum rhythms, chord progressions, melodies, song structure, etc) are sounds I hear in music that completely baffle me in regard to how they were made(and sound good of course :lol: ) . Regardless of whether you start from a synth or rompler, it's going to take loads of work with intricate detail to come up with something like that.(for me)

Basically, use what you've got to use to make the music/sounds you want to make. :thumbs_up:

HeresJohnny312

27 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Feb 2020
HeresJohnny312 wrote:
27 Feb 2020

I run really high buffer size, so I don't really have CPU issues that you describe.
But there's nothing wrong with using whatever you want to make your music. They both have pros and cons and neither are better than the other.

We all appreciate music in different ways right? Well, what REALLY piques my interest(along with drum rhythms, chord progressions, melodies, song structure, etc) are sounds I hear in music that completely baffle me in regard to how they were made(and sound good of course :lol: ) . Regardless of whether you start from a synth or rompler, it's going to take loads of work with intricate detail to come up with something like that.(for me)

Basically, use what you've got to use to make the music/sounds you want to make. :thumbs_up:
So you use a really high buffer size to offset crackle and dsp cpu hit? At what expense? Pressing your keyboard and hearing the note like 3 hours later? j/k Latency is mega important or me imo it can break a vibe especially if the timing feels off...

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

HeresJohnny312 wrote:
27 Feb 2020
aeox wrote:
27 Feb 2020

So you use a really high buffer size to offset crackle and dsp cpu hit? At what expense? Pressing your keyboard and hearing the note like 3 hours later? j/k Latency is mega important or me imo it can break a vibe especially if the timing feels off...
The music i make is more about sound design and processing, so setting the buffer as high as possible gives a lot of headroom. I only use my keyboard for getting chord or melody ideas and the latency doesn't bother me because i'll compose everything in the sequencer

I completely understand how that would be detrimental for a lot of people who are recording their midi or audio and need low latency. Which leads back to my main point, use what you've got to use to make the music/sounds you want to make!

HeresJohnny312

28 Feb 2020

aeox wrote:
28 Feb 2020
HeresJohnny312 wrote:
27 Feb 2020

The music i make is more about sound design and processing, so setting the buffer as high as possible gives a lot of headroom. I only use my keyboard for getting chord or melody ideas and the latency doesn't bother me because i'll compose everything in the sequencer

I completely understand how that would be detrimental for a lot of people who are recording their midi or audio and need low latency. Which leads back to my main point, use what you've got to use to make the music/sounds you want to make!
Totally makes sense! Your right brother I agree use what you've got to the best.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Feb 2020

I just realized you have probably covered all bases ( :roll: ) in the bass department, except one.
Funk synth bass from the 70-80', P-funk, Parliament, Bootsy, Snoop, etc.

(You can send me a free one for this great idea when it is done!) :geek:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

jam-s

28 Feb 2020

Imho some good big band / brass and sax REs are still missing in the shop.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2020

jam-s wrote:
28 Feb 2020
Ujam could maybe license the SWAM engine to get killer sax, etc into RE. That would be cool, but I doubt they have this technology themselves.
https://audiomodeling.com/solo-woodwind ... axophones/
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

BradfordMoeller

08 Mar 2020

jam-s wrote:
28 Feb 2020
I agree!- I love the Ujam drum RE I own, I think there's a big space for more organic instrument RE's done well. i.e. SAX, brass, world, orchestral instruments. Would love to see more of this.

I could also see a company like Ujam handling vocal samples in a great way, maybe something that'd compete with the Hooked VST by Output Arcade, and similar plugins.
:reason:)))

tiker01

22 Mar 2020

I would love to see the DnB oriented VOID as an Re!!!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

22 Mar 2020

For instruments, I would still love a Hans Zimmer, animated orchestral plugin! And a Pharrell Beat Maker :)

The HZ orchestral plugin could be all-in-one (along the lines of The Orchestra by Sonuscore), or individual elements per plugin. It would be in line with the Virtual series.

The Pharrell Beat Maker could be in the style of the Beat Maker series, but with some of his signature sounds, which might incorporate more than just drums. Roli created a Noise soundpack with him, which featured some of his sounds from his song "Lemon". So something along those lines, but of course more content and an entire plugin focused on his sound.

As for effects, I think it would be awesome to have a riser type Finisher effect, somewhat like Endless Smile. The Finisher patch, 'Infinity' is already somewhat in that realm, which gave me the thought. So more of that and add some synth and barber pole effects, and package it as a riser effect plugin :)

I think that Neptune is the only effect plugin in the Reason world that has formant shifting (at least I haven't noticed any REs with formant shift). I'd love to see another formant shifter. Is this something available in Gorilla Engine? So maybe it can be a separate UJAM product or an effect made available to developers using GE. I'm a fan of vocal effects—particularly creating character effects for voiceovers, so I'd love to see a RE focused on vocal effects.

• Information