Can the ABL3 RE export midi clips?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
m.arthur

04 Jan 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if the ABL3 RE can export the MIDI, or if there's any way to record the MIDI output from the device, etc. So far it seems like the answer is no. The manual makes it clear that the VST version can export MIDI, but it also says:

"Export Reason .repatch: For Reason users that wish to use the Pattern analyzer a ABL3
RE patch can be exported."

Sounds like that simply means you can save a patch (just like any other patch, not a midi pattern) but I don't really get what "wish to use the Pattern analyzer" means..??

In any case, am I right that this is simply not possible with the RE ? If so, it's yet another sad case where the VST version is clearly superior to the RE :(

m.arthur

04 Jan 2020

joeyluck wrote:
04 Jan 2020
Yes you can by using a Player device and send to track. Link in this article: https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/05/abl3 ... -features/
Sorry but that link isn't helpful -- it says "you can do this with players, see this Robotic Bean article" and then THAT link just goes to the main page of Robotic Bean's website. So... I still haven't read anything about how to actually make it work with a Player.

would be nice if someone actually told me.....

retreed
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2020

m.arthur wrote:
04 Jan 2020
joeyluck wrote:
04 Jan 2020
Yes you can by using a Player device and send to track. Link in this article: https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/05/abl3 ... -features/
Sorry but that link isn't helpful -- it says "you can do this with players, see this Robotic Bean article" and then THAT link just goes to the main page of Robotic Bean's website. So... I still haven't read anything about how to actually make it work with a Player.

would be nice if someone actually told me.....
Being interested in this topic as well, I just found out the correct link within a second:
https://roboticbean.com/2016/05/20/send ... -reason-9/

I hope it helps! :)

challism

04 Jan 2020

I wish there were a way to export the SLIDES from ABL3's sequencer. I see CV outputs for note, gate and accent, but nothing for slide. So you can't get those great slide effects if you use the ABL3 as a sequencer, even if you write the notes to track. :(

And while I am wishing for things.... I wish there were:
1) audio inputs so I could use this thing's sweet filter on other instruments
2) a playback speed/timing resolution knob
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
04 Jan 2020
I wish there were a way to export the SLIDES from ABL3's sequencer. I see CV outputs for note, gate and accent, but nothing for slide. So you can't get those great slide effects if you use the ABL3 as a sequencer, even if you write the notes to track. :(

Audiorealism’s Bassline Pro VST can be used as an effect if that’s any use.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Arjanders

04 Jan 2020

If you connect gate and note out of the ABL3 to the free cv player tab, you can send the midi to track
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... layer-tap/

m.arthur

04 Jan 2020

retreed wrote:
04 Jan 2020

Being interested in this topic as well, I just found out the correct link within a second:

Did you get it working by following that tutorial? I failed to.
I'm using ABL and a player and a combi, but the rest of the tutorial is confusing because it's specific to using an old Robotic Bean RE that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do.

retreed
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2020

m.arthur wrote:
04 Jan 2020
retreed wrote:
04 Jan 2020

I'm using ABL and a player and a combi, but the rest of the tutorial is confusing because it's specific to using an old Robotic Bean RE that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do.
Combining the forces in this thread I also found CVPT to be the best option as Arjanders mentioned (Thanks for the CVPT reminder :thumbs_up:). I hooked up a small example for convenience. Just chose the ID8 channel and push the record button and it will continue the midi notes that are also visible in the first block.
Attachments
ABL3.zip
(193.55 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

buddard
RE Developer

04 Jan 2020

m.arthur wrote:
04 Jan 2020
retreed wrote:
04 Jan 2020

I don't understand what's confusing? Both Step Note Recorder and ABL3 have a CV output and a Gate output, so just replace "Step" with "ABL3" in the text and you're set.

That being said, we wrote this tutorial when Reason 9 was released, and back then there were no third party Players, so the procedure was a bit more involved.
Nowadays it's way easier to use CVPT instead, no Combinators are needed.

Here's how to use CVPT specifically with ABL3:

1. Create a CVPT above ABL3
2. Connect CV/Gate out from ABL3 to a Gate/Note input pair on CVPT
3. Click on "Send to Track" above the CVPT

Afterwards you probably want to disable ABL3's internal sequencer in order to avoid double notes.

challism

06 Jan 2020

MrFigg wrote:
04 Jan 2020
challism wrote:
04 Jan 2020

I don't have the VST. I got ABL3 as part of the beta test, so I don't really want to ask about a cross grade.... seems kind of cheesy and cheap of me. But that is a really nice filter on ABL3. Wish I could use it on other devices. Oh well.... gonna have to use one of my other 200 filter devices. ha ha
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eXode

06 Jan 2020

challism wrote:
06 Jan 2020
MrFigg wrote:
04 Jan 2020

I don't have the VST. I got ABL3 as part of the beta test, so I don't really want to ask about a cross grade.... seems kind of cheesy and cheap of me. But that is a really nice filter on ABL3. Wish I could use it on other devices. Oh well.... gonna have to use one of my other 200 filter devices. ha ha
I understand the convenience of having it in a device you already own, but have you checked out Acid Diode Ladder Filter by Primal Audio? Was thinking if you were after that filter in particular. Don't know how good/bad it is though. :)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

06 Jan 2020

I did a video exporting the ABL seq data..

wow 2017, time flies.

Reasonable man

06 Jan 2020

As with poobear's 2017 video method. if you have the Robotic bean's 'sequences' you can use that as well. Replace Note echo player (in the vid) with sequences and hit record on sequences . it records Abl's sequence straight into it ..complete with sides! then you can send notes to track. Whats great about it is that you can record as many as 8 patterns into sequences ..edit/ transpose them there and either send notes to track or automate between the patterns.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2020

Reasonable man wrote:
06 Jan 2020
As with poobear's 2017 video method. if you have the Robotic bean's 'sequences' you can use that as well. Replace Note echo player (in the vid) with sequences and hit record on sequences . it records Abl's sequence straight into it ..complete with sides! then you can send notes to track. Whats great about it is that you can record as many as 8 patterns into sequences ..edit/ transpose them there and either send notes to track or automate between the patterns.
Nice one, you can also record into the polystep, not a perfect result but I can see I'm going to have fun with this :D

WolfZeit

24 Nov 2023

buddard wrote:
04 Jan 2020
Here's how to use CVPT specifically with ABL3:

1. Create a CVPT above ABL3
2. Connect CV/Gate out from ABL3 to a Gate/Note input pair on CVPT
3. Click on "Send to Track" above the CVPT

Afterwards you probably want to disable ABL3's internal sequencer in order to avoid double notes.
Thanks for this. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

• Information