Difference between CV Player Tap and MIDI-CV Converter

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
challism

26 Dec 2019

Is there any way to get CV Player Tap to do the same thing MIDI-CV Converter does?

I've run some side by side tests with duplicate stacks of linked instruments and can't get them to play the exact same thing. It is close, but not the same (I do like the two different variations). I'm wondering what it is that these players are doing differently. Can anybody explain what the difference is between these devices? It seems like they should be doing the same thing, that is sending note/gate information to/from player stacks. But they are obviously doing it differently.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

cv player tap converts polyphonic midi date to monophonic cv data by outputting each note in a separate channel

midi-cv converter uses the (Blamsoft method?) of polyphonic cv to output all note data over just one channel. i dont use midi-cv in mono mode so i cant speak to how that works
- Certified Reason expert

challism

26 Dec 2019

So if one could merge the mono output of CVPT into poly, there wouldn't be any difference between the two players?

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2019

ah no i guess the midi-cv converter has multiple channels itself and can therefore send poly cv signal to multiple places at once, each of those channels can be muted individually from the main midi-cv player.

challism

30 Dec 2019

I ended up buying MIDI-CV Converter last night. $9 on sale is a pretty good deal. I have been able to use this to do a lot of cool things. MIDI-CV Conv is perfect for use with Lectric Panda's Kompulsion (set to arpeggio mode on the receiving end). I love being able to control all the instruments in the song from one sequencer/player stack. I use a Master instrument (which is usually muted) to send chord progression info to all the other instruments (Slaves) in the song. The Master player list has Robotic Bean's Sequences controlling the root note and a chord player sending notes to MIDI-CV Conv, which sends the chord notes out to the Slave instruments. The Slaves are set up with Kompulsion (arp mode) in their player stack, so you can select the notes of the chord you want to be played from the Master chords. This works great! I'm absolutely loving it!

Master Player
Sequences - pattern changes recorded to Reason sequencer.
ChordLine/Scales&Chords (chord mode)
Midi-CV Converter out
Instrument

Slave Players
Midi-CV Converter in
Kompulsion (arp mode)
Instrument
ms.jpg
ms.jpg (369.17 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

Bes
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2019

:) it is a good tool

Rising Night Wave

30 Dec 2019

LOL: I just made an "AAAA!!!". :lol:

Now that's it! Haha. Thank you both guys. :-D
I didn't know this would solve that thing bothered me so much times: the CV Player Tap.

Story:
I am using - since my first install of Reason - only MATRIX Analog Pattern Sequencer for making melodies.
I do not use notes.
And I ended up with wish to have more rich sound - to use more MATRIX APS's at once for single synthesizer. - I mostly use Thor and Europa.
But ended up frustrating using Spider CV Merge & Splitter. Sound is not cool and right.

So I read your conversation and ended up buying CV Player Tap for 0.00€. Hehe.

Thank you guys for this thread. I am so happy now. It just made my day.

Cheers! :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

littlejam

30 Dec 2019

hello,

wouldn't Blamsoft's Distributor work in this situation as well?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... stributor/

i'm not that smart when it comes to cv stuff so i could be wrong

any ideas?

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

ljekio

30 Dec 2019

challism wrote:
26 Dec 2019
Is there any way to get CV Player Tap to do the same thing MIDI-CV Converter does?

I've run some side by side tests with duplicate stacks of linked instruments and can't get them to play the exact same thing. It is close, but not the same (I do like the two different variations). I'm wondering what it is that these players are doing differently. Can anybody explain what the difference is between these devices? It seems like they should be doing the same thing, that is sending note/gate information to/from player stacks. But they are obviously doing it differently.
I have both devices, it is not completely interchangeable.
There are tasks for CVPT, but something better to do with MIDI-CV.
You can take gate cables (up to 16 cables) from drum sequencers and put it on any inputs without note cable, number of input will number of note (from C1).
But if I want split polyphonic cv signal for sending to other devices, I drag MIDI-CV to the rack.

selig
RE Developer

30 Dec 2019

I like to use MIDI-CV as a way to "split" note data from Players to other instruments, basically creating the "missing" MIDI cables that I've always wanted in Reason.
This is done by using two MIDI-CV players, one at the source and one at each destination. It's similar to using a Combinator to stack synths, but with far more versatility (for example, you can stack multiple Combinators and transpose/split them however you like).
Selig Audio, LLC

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2020

Here is a couple of ideas for you :)

challism

06 Jan 2020

Quality content, as always, Carly! Thanks for posting the link. I'm subscribed to your youtube channel, but must have missed this video.

Safe Radiation

07 Jan 2020

Carly, I just watched your cv footage.

Clear, concise, very informative as to what is going on and why.

I now have a glimmer of understanding ! to build on. Thank you.

• Information