Have Softube raised the price of FET?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

17 Dec 2019

If you like big smashy noisy compression on your drums, this thing is great. Extreme setting dialled in at around 10-20% wet sounds really good, especially on snares. I also have the Waves CLA-76 which I don't like quite as much, it's a bit harsher and less flexible

FXpansion ChanComp is a very decent 1176 style compressor RE if you don't want to shell out for the Softube

Jmax

17 Dec 2019

"We're not selling enough units!" Raise the price!!!

lol

Still a descent compressor I think? I own it, but rarely use it. I think I should again?

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Jmax wrote:
17 Dec 2019

lol

Still a descent compressor I think? I own it, but rarely use it. I think I should again?
Yea man it's still good, not 150 good but still. I'm just being an ass.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2019

aeox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Jmax wrote:
17 Dec 2019

lol

It’s not €150 good. But is it €199 good? I’m waiting with buying the blue one until they raise the price a bit more.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

18 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Dec 2019
aeox wrote:
17 Dec 2019

It’s not €150 good. But is it €199 good? I’m waiting with buying the blue one until they raise the price a bit more.
Good idea. Than its more "worth" it.
Reason12, Win10

challism

18 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Hahahahahaha….they've raised the price of the delay and the spring reverb as well. Is this the first developer to raise the price of an RE as it gets older?
I remember this one used to be $15. The Dev raised the price to $139, but at least they gave us plenty of warning before raising the price, so respect for that. I guess they added some kind of soundbank which enables this unit to perform a sort of "R.O.M.O.S concept aimed at producing random soundscapes on multi-speaker set-ups." I don't know. I only use 2 speakers for my music. I wasn't interested at $15 and certainly am not interested at $139. :) https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ontroller/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2019

I've never liked their Tube Delay. I got it free with my interface and I find it goes from can't hear it/buried in the mix - to - uncontrollable feedback way too easily.

K_R33Z3

19 Dec 2019

SOFTUBE FET is one of the best software compressors ive heard and i have been on Reason since 2.5. I definitely wouldnt pay $150 or $200 for it but it is worth getting on %50 off sale. I paid $75 and it was one of my first purchases from the shop. This thing can make the dullest of drums come to life but the secret is to learn how to dial it in just enough which might take a little time. It is not as straight forward as most other comps. You get different results by changing just one of the dials so the trick is to learn how much u want to crush your drums.... Pair it with an EQ and Free Saturation and it will sound even better.

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2019

Steedus wrote:
18 Dec 2019
I've never liked their Tube Delay. I got it free with my interface...
I know you all are talking about the Rack Extension, but - if you have the Time & Tone Bundle, you can upgrade to the T&T Bundle PLUS, which includes the FET compressor. The upgrade is on sale for $89 until 12/31, plus you get the Fix Flanger and Doubler, Vintage Amp Room, and Bass Amp Room.

https://www.softube.com/tntplus
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

tumar

19 Dec 2019

You can buy three Softube compressors for 199 (or 99 for each):
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... mpressors/
Needless to say about NI sales...

Loque

19 Dec 2019

tumar wrote:
19 Dec 2019
You can have 8 good compressors with lots of tweaking and great GUI for just 150 bucks from other vendors:
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... or-plug-in

Or you get the McDSP compressors, which are very good for just 20-30 bucks if they are on sale and it contains a bunch of different models.

I payed much less than 200 for 3 vintage compressors from Arturia.

Get MOLOT for free, its good. Or TDR Kotelnikov, Klangehlm and what not. So many good alternatives out there to start before throwing 200 bucks at Softube :lol:

I will never pay Softubes prices again...Totally overpriced and in the past heavily overhyped. Today you have better alternatives IMO.
Reason12, Win10

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Dec 2019

What i don't like about Softubes compressor is that there's always this annoying short click with the attack. Maybe that's how a FET compressor is supposed to work, but either way I don't like it. I much more prefer the McDSP comps, especially FRG-4RE and C670.
FRG is great because you can really punish the sound hard really hard yet it doesn't sound unnatural or clicky. It's hard yet soft. Great for drums and bass sounds.
C670 is just great for slow gentle compression on smother sounds that doesn't have much transients, pads, strings etc.

tumar

19 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
19 Dec 2019
tumar wrote:
19 Dec 2019
You can have 8 good compressors with lots of tweaking and great GUI for just 150 bucks from other vendors:
https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro- ... or-plug-in

Or you get the McDSP compressors, which are very good for just 20-30 bucks if they are on sale and it contains a bunch of different models.

I payed much less than 200 for 3 vintage compressors from Arturia.

Get MOLOT for free, its good. Or TDR Kotelnikov, Klangehlm and what not. So many good alternatives out there to start before throwing 200 bucks at Softube :lol:

I will never pay Softubes prices again...Totally overpriced and in the past heavily overhyped. Today you have better alternatives IMO.
Take it easy, nothing personal, man.... I just mentioned those made by Softube ;)
BTW, I got McDSP Collection but only FRG is useful for me .

dvdrtldg

21 Dec 2019

Steedus wrote:
18 Dec 2019
I've never liked their Tube Delay. I got it free with my interface and I find it goes from can't hear it/buried in the mix - to - uncontrollable feedback way too easily.
It's a weird one that one. I kept coming back to it for ages, trying to get it to sound good. Plus the time settings are really odd & (for me) counterintuitive. These days it's Echoboy all the way

Tinnitus

28 May 2021

Just doing some research into this bad boy and thought Id add that it is now listed add:

"Softube FET Compressor £199
Softube
Classic for a reason."

Have found it historically as low as $58 in vst format. Is this still the daddy of comps in 2021?

Loque

28 May 2021

Tinnitus wrote:
28 May 2021
Just doing some research into this bad boy and thought Id add that it is now listed add:

"Softube FET Compressor £199
Softube
Classic for a reason."

Have found it historically as low as $58 in vst format. Is this still the daddy of comps in 2021?
I find its character still unique.

Is it worth 200 bucks? No. :lol:
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

28 May 2021

it’s worth $200. but only if you don’t consider other cheaper options that are available (which you should). I bought it pretty early on in the RE lifecycle, but now that there are tons more options available in the rack, and VSTs too, it doesn’t make much sense to buy at that price.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

28 May 2021

I see Tube-Tech is up to €499. Totally worth it :lol:
Feels like they're just raising the price further all the time. What was the initial price for it?

joeyluck

28 May 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 May 2021
Feels like they're just raising the price further all the time. What was the initial price for it?
Yeah it's just silly. I wouldn't recommend the Tube-Tech RE to anybody. It's like they took everything about the rack and showed how they don't understand the environment at all :?

In the Reason rack, the device interface is always present. If there's anywhere that a single, monolith of the entire Tube-Tech channel exists, it is not the Reason rack. The individual devices make most sense for Reason, yet they decided to cut corners by cramming it all into one, likely because they didn't want to spend time on building and testing separate devices.

The Tube-Tech RE also doesn't have CV connectivity. So seeing as the VST is offered in a bundle of individual devices, and CV connectivity isn't on the RE anyways, I would suggest the VST over the RE (which is very seldom something I would suggest to a Reason user).

BUT, before I even suggest that, I would tell people that the Kuassa MP5 is just as good (covering the EQ) at a fraction of the cost with what I think is a much better interface, has CV connectivity, and you are supporting a dev that still develops for the RE format. There's also the offering from Blamsoft, which I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure is also great.

At the price tag, with the lack of flexibility, the Tube-Tech RE just doesn't make sense... And your rewards points can only at most get you $50 off, which is never going to be a very good deal with how expensive it is...

kuhliloach

28 May 2021

Plug-ins are worth about $20, and that includes everything made by Softube. Knowledge with stock plug-ins is all you need for amazing results so most plug-ins are both overpriced and totally unnecessary. This makes even $20 seem expensive.

DaveyG

28 May 2021

Softube are definitely living on past glories. Comedy prices.

Loque

28 May 2021

DaveyG wrote:
28 May 2021
Softube are definitely living on past glories. Comedy prices.
This :clap:
Reason12, Win10

motuscott

28 May 2021

Sometimes you just want 500 lbs of crush on your apple loop
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dioxide

29 May 2021

I actually really like Softube stuff and have some, but yeah the prices are often too high in comparison to how much I need them. The TubeTech RE was ludicrously high priced when it was released but hearing it has risen to one dollar short of €500 is just taking the piss. I guess it is good that it is still available in the shop, but they shouldn't expect to sell another single copy of this. What a joke.

epoch

29 May 2021

TritoneAddiction wrote:
28 May 2021
Bloody hell! I'm glad I got it when it was £349 - and I thought that was pushing it; had to save for months. Can't believe it's up to £449 now.

• Information