Have Softube raised the price of FET?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Just noticed FET was now €199. Didn’t it used to be €149? Softube!!!! Man!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

17 Dec 2019

149 put it out of my range
199 wow
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Everyone complaining about how expensive our devices are for what they get? HA! Raise it, boys. That'll really teach em'.

EdGrip

17 Dec 2019

Increasing perceived value for the benefit of sales, presumably.

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

How good is it, by the way? If you put aside the sense of fame thing, which makes up the good part of the price I suspect.

Loque

17 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
How good is it, by the way? If you put aside the sense of fame thing, which makes up the good part of the price I suspect.
Its a very good compressor for specific purposes, but a bit overpriced imo. There are compressors out there with nearly quite close sound, but not the same (as most devices at all). You could try other FET emulations or try the FRG from McDSP with "all-in". I thing some compressor from DCAm should shound similar, but i never liked it.

I got it cheap with a Rig and probably did not had payed that price. The prices from Softube are some kind of wet dreams of them and far away from reality - but hey, ppls still pay the prices and buy their stuff...
Reason12, Win10

PinkSlime

17 Dec 2019

Their VST all included bundle was at a serious discount on black friday. Other than that, most of the time prices are quite high. However, they do make quality stuff, admittedly.

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Its a very good compressor for specific purposes, but a bit overpriced imo. There are compressors out there with nearly quite close sound, but not the same (as most devices at all).
Could you characterize the sound it produces compared to other compressors? What makes it preferable? I'm not good at hearing nuances, I'm more of a technical person.

Loque

17 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Its a very good compressor for specific purposes, but a bit overpriced imo. There are compressors out there with nearly quite close sound, but not the same (as most devices at all).
Could you characterize the sound it produces compared to other compressors? What makes it preferable? I'm not good at hearing nuances, I'm more of a technical person.
Puhh...i think it brings more of the background noise into the front if you get "all-in", which means if you turn all knobs to their extrem values. This can lead to a very nice saturated sound.

It can also get very snappy with short Attack and short Release, which gets smoother with lookahead (wich is buggy btw, since it does not report latency!).

It has some kind of color (saturation) if you have a heavy input signal, which sounds very smooth and less harsh. So it is not a clean compressor at all.

With the dry/wet you can mix the snappy or saturated signal easily back into original.

I remember it lacks a CV gain reduction output, which is pretty sad imo.

To describe the sound with a few words, i think "smeard, dull, punchy, noisy" could be the right words, depending on how hard you drive it (with soft settings most compressors sound quite similar). Its quite often used for drums, which you want this kind of colorization quite often.

I only use it, if i want that noisey smeared sound from the background, where it sounds like a good leveler. For the rest i prefer other alternatives.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

at that price, I prefer to buy a Real chinese FET Compressor hardware

or go to waves plugin at $ 29

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Thanks for your review, I've learned a lot.

I'm pondering on the saturation thing, whether it could be added to a clean compressor by placing a Saturation Knob before or after the compressor.

Loque

17 Dec 2019

orthodox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Thanks for your review, I've learned a lot.

I'm pondering on the saturation thing, whether it could be added to a clean compressor by placing a Saturation Knob before or after the compressor.
It depnds on how the saturation is intrduced. in most cases you can do it yourself, but the result may vary.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

The free saturation RE makes up for everything being really overpriced

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

aeox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
:lol:
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

17 Dec 2019

aeox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Naa... Its good, yes, but the tones to others are quite different.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Dec 2019
aeox wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Naa... Its good, yes, but the tones to others are quite different.
The tone changes dramatically when you dial the knob. It needs a dry/wet knob, but instead, you have to put it in parallel and dial in the tone and control the mix amount separately. Try it, it brings completely new life to Sat Knob!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

Hahahahahaha….they've raised the price of the delay and the spring reverb as well. Is this the first developer to raise the price of an RE as it gets older?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Hahahahahaha….they've raised the price of the delay and the spring reverb as well. Is this the first developer to raise the price of an RE as it gets older?
I don't know what the price was for their VST counterparts, now they're the same, omitting discounts. Maybe they decided to equalize them? Maybe they know something about the (number of) new users of Reason Rack Plugin?

miscend

17 Dec 2019

FET is the most under rated compressor ever.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

MrFigg wrote:
17 Dec 2019
That's pretty bad. Looks like they raised the price on other REs as well. Trident was cheaper (and think Softube Valley People Dyna-Mite?).
Well at least they didn't raise the price on Softube Tube-Tech Classic Channel. :lol:

The only way I can see how this high price move might benefit them is that the items might appear like a better deal once they're on sale and the customer compares to the original price.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2019

They may have raised the price to make sale prices more attractive? :/
It's the same price as the VST which is $199 and on sale for $99 now.

I have the RE and never use it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

miscend wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Interesting. I feel the exact opposite. I really thought I would like it when i bought it, because I liked the demos and it got so much praise bu other people.
But I never seem to find any good use for it. It's probably my biggest RE regret, especially since it cost so much money.
I'm sure it's a good compressor, it just doesn't work for me.
After this I learned to never trust other peoples opinions on such subjective things as music/gear.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
17 Dec 2019
miscend wrote:
17 Dec 2019
Interesting. I feel the exact opposite. I really thought I would like it when i bought it, because I liked the demos and it got so much praise bu other people.
But I never seem to find any good use for it. It's probably my biggest RE regret, especially since it cost so much money.
I'm sure it's a good compressor, it just doesn't work for me.
After this I learned to never trust other peoples opinions on such subjective things as music/gear.
It worked alright for me when I first got it, but I've since got other plugins I prefer over it. It's the only Softube plugin I've ever purchased. I'm not a fan of much of their stuff.

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2019

I'm so glad I got FET with some Rig 3 bundle. Internally I refer to it as "hulk smash!"; I love it on (acoustic) drums but I would NEVER pay the full price or even the sales price for it..
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Dec 2019

Softube has always made the impression on me that they're good at tube emulations, saturation and all that. Their name must have misled me. I can't hear all that stuff, and now I don't know which plugins make it better than them. Saturation, that is.

• Information