Blamsoft - Blamco Equalizer Pack

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6290
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

I am surprised, that there are no CV connections. And i am not positive surprised...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
eXode
Posts: 683
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019
I am surprised, that there are no CV connections. And i am not positive surprised...
I understand why you may feel that way, my guess is that it's the same reason why there isn't any automation (with some exceptions).

The devices have been made with circuit simulation techniques, and blamsoft made a choice in premiering sound quality and performance over CV and automation.

I find that these devices work very well for their intended purpose. There are many other options in the shop for when you want to make use of an EQ as a creative effect.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6290
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

eXode wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019
I am surprised, that there are no CV connections. And i am not positive surprised...
I understand why you may feel that way, my guess is that it's the same reason why there isn't any automation (with some exceptions).

The devices have been made with circuit simulation techniques, and blamsoft made a choice in premiering sound quality and performance over CV and automation.

I find that these devices work very well for their intended purpose. There are many other options in the shop for when you want to make use of an EQ as a creative effect.
Yea, i can follow the decision on the EQ, but on the filter?

And yea, i will stick with the things i already have. I am currently experimenting a lot with BP EQing and filtering, so a CV control or Combinator is highly welcome atm.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6316
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019
I am surprised, that there are no CV connections. And i am not positive surprised...
The Kuassa MP5 has CV inputs if that's something you want.

tanni
Posts: 104
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

have someone compare the EQs with the Softube TubeTech or Selig Selig ColoringEQ ?
Last year or so I tested the Kuassa MP5 against the Softube TubeTech. The TubeTech sounds much better in my view. But its too expensive for me. Besides, the Softube RE is an old version, only the vst is currently updated and the better and optimized version. Softube arent interested in RE any more, so I dont spent money on those RE plugins which wont update any more.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6290
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

tanni wrote:
25 Nov 2019
have someone compare the EQs with the Softube TubeTech or Selig Selig ColoringEQ ?
Last year or so I tested the Kuassa MP5 against the Softube TubeTech. The TubeTech sounds much better in my view. But its too expensive for me. Besides, the Softube RE is an old version, only the vst is currently updated and the better and optimized version. Softube arent interested in RE any more, so I dont spent money on those RE plugins which wont update any more.
In the end, they are all EQs. Most of the stuff can be reproduced with other EQs and tools. MP5 is good and has its place, but i find that for most cases the Tubetech is more musical and a bit warmer than the MP5, which sounds a bit crystal IMO. But tbh, i only use the pultec bass trick of Tubetech to get some warm punch for my kicks. The other EQs are ok, but nothing fancy. the compressor is not my style, but may work good for average compression on vocals and stuff like that. The SSL compressor is way better and the SSL EQ sound more musical in the mid ranges. Just my ears... Would i pay the price again? Nope....

Today i dont care much about it, if it sounds a bit different/better/analog/whatever than the other plugin. Nobody can hear this in a mix, if they are used quite similar and have quite close sound. That means, if you think, the SSL EQ and Compressor are not enough for you anymore, check out other stuff and test them against your musical material.

And Softube sux anyway...are they still on business? Selling a lot of 350$ plugins?
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

tanni
Posts: 104
Joined: 19 Jul 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019

In the end, they are all EQs. Most of the stuff can be reproduced with other EQs and tools. MP5 is good and has its place, but i find that for most cases the Tubetech is more musical and a bit warmer than the MP5, which sounds a bit crystal IMO. But tbh, i only use the pultec bass trick of Tubetech to get some warm punch for my kicks. The other EQs are ok, but nothing fancy. the compressor is not my style, but may work good for average compression on vocals and stuff like that. The SSL compressor is way better and the SSL EQ sound more musical in the mid ranges. Just my ears... Would i pay the price again? Nope....

Today i dont care much about it, if it sounds a bit different/better/analog/whatever than the other plugin. Nobody can hear this in a mix, if they are used quite similar and have quite close sound. That means, if you think, the SSL EQ and Compressor are not enough for you anymore, check out other stuff and test them against your musical material.

And Softube sux anyway...are they still on business? Selling a lot of 350$ plugins?
thats right, in the end most EQs are very similar and in the mix you often cant hear the differences.
Im specially searching for an EQ for increasing and sweetening the high mids and highs. Cutting is always no problem with all EQs in my opinion, but increasing high frequencies there are some differences you can hear I think. My friend has an UAD and the Pultec clones. They sound great if you increase frequencies, they have a special "behaviour". No of my native EQs sound the same....maybe the blamsoft sound/goes that way because of the "circuit simulation techniques"....?

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6290
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 25 Nov 2019

tanni wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019

In the end, they are all EQs. Most of the stuff can be reproduced with other EQs and tools. MP5 is good and has its place, but i find that for most cases the Tubetech is more musical and a bit warmer than the MP5, which sounds a bit crystal IMO. But tbh, i only use the pultec bass trick of Tubetech to get some warm punch for my kicks. The other EQs are ok, but nothing fancy. the compressor is not my style, but may work good for average compression on vocals and stuff like that. The SSL compressor is way better and the SSL EQ sound more musical in the mid ranges. Just my ears... Would i pay the price again? Nope....

Today i dont care much about it, if it sounds a bit different/better/analog/whatever than the other plugin. Nobody can hear this in a mix, if they are used quite similar and have quite close sound. That means, if you think, the SSL EQ and Compressor are not enough for you anymore, check out other stuff and test them against your musical material.

And Softube sux anyway...are they still on business? Selling a lot of 350$ plugins?
thats right, in the end most EQs are very similar and in the mix you often cant hear the differences.
Im specially searching for an EQ for increasing and sweetening the high mids and highs. Cutting is always no problem with all EQs in my opinion, but increasing high frequencies there are some differences you can hear I think. My friend has an UAD and the Pultec clones. They sound great if you increase frequencies, they have a special "behaviour". No of my native EQs sound the same....maybe the blamsoft sound/goes that way because of the "circuit simulation techniques"....?
Man...if my brain wouldnt be such a lazy dude...so i could remember, when EQing is more problematic in most cases. Was it low or high bands? I think it was low bands and EQing in general changes also the phase, which may sound good, or bad, some introduces resonances and stuff...i guess, i should revisit a good EQing tutorial again...
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

boosto23
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Mar 2019

Post 25 Nov 2019

Well, I was saving money to purchase the Kuassa version of the Pultec, but with the pack being on sale for $29, I ended up with the Blamsoft. I like having the three different EQ's as separate rack modules, which will justify the extra $10. The saturation sounds nice too, so it can come in handy when needed.

User avatar
eXode
Posts: 683
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 01 Dec 2019

Loque wrote:
25 Nov 2019
Yea, i can follow the decision on the EQ, but on the filter?
Late reply, but I didn't think about it previously. The filter is a a simple high/low cut filter and doesn't have a free range (it's set in steps) so it wouldn't make much sense to automate it anyway (imho). :)

User avatar
eXode
Posts: 683
Joined: 11 Feb 2015

Post 01 Dec 2019

I have the Kuassa and it's good too, but I do prefer the Blamco to be honest. I like the amount of control I get on the saturation and the fact that I can choose both the amount of saturation, and pre/post operation. There's something very musical about the Blamco, and with some saturation applied it can give a very nice glue to your sound.

It is also quite nice to put two in a series and turn the drive up on both units. Very nice drive to mangle i.e. drums with.

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8105
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 01 Dec 2019

tanni wrote:
25 Nov 2019
have someone compare the EQs with the Softube TubeTech or Selig Selig ColoringEQ ?
Last year or so I tested the Kuassa MP5 against the Softube TubeTech. The TubeTech sounds much better in my view. But its too expensive for me. Besides, the Softube RE is an old version, only the vst is currently updated and the better and optimized version. Softube arent interested in RE any more, so I dont spent money on those RE plugins which wont update any more.
FWIW, the TubeTech and Kuassa measure VERY similar, and almost identical curves can be achieved - but it's important to remember that setting the knobs at the same value does NOT equal "matching" the EQ curves. Many EQ curves from different devices can be matched, but it takes time. And some curves cannot be matched because the filters used to build the EQs are totally different.
That's one reason I added so many different curve options with ColoringEQ, such as asymmetrical parametric types or tilt/shift.

As for comments that EQ will shift the phase, that is literally how EQ works. All minimal phase EQ shifts phase at the frequency of interest to create the final EQ curve. Only linear phase, which is can only be done in the digital domain, does not shift phase at a specific frequency (it shifts phase at ALL frequencies instead, which is why it always induces latency).
Selig Audio, LLC

botnotbot
Posts: 256
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 01 Dec 2019

selig wrote:
01 Dec 2019
Only linear phase, which is can only be done in the digital domain, does not shift phase at a specific frequency (it shifts phase at ALL frequencies instead, which is why it always induces latency).
Great points Selig! And just a bit extra of (controversial?) opinion about linear phase: the lack of phase shift contributes to an overall clinical nature that leaves linear phase EQs to the side when a producer is looking for an EQ with "character".

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests