Tonicmint ScaleMatrix in the shop.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2019

It’s finally here. The RE you’ve all been waiting for...
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... alematrix/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2019

This RE is significantly relevant to all of you who find Scales & Chords limiting and limited. Enjoy.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

17 Oct 2019

The lag time based on velocity seems to be pretty cool. I wished there was something like this years before. I also tried to build something like this by controlling delays with the velocity, but it worked only in one direction. I guess this does work only in one direction too?

Nevertheless seems very interesting....Now i need more time :-D
Reason12, Win10

EpiGenetik

17 Oct 2019

Really enjoying playing with this one. For me, this is the strongest release yet from TonicMint, truly inspiring stuff :)

Vil
RE Developer

17 Oct 2019

Helllo guys,
Thank you for everyone.

But dont forget to try before buy!
:)
Have a nice day/night :))))

MannequinRaces

17 Oct 2019

Looks slick. I’ll have to try when I have some free time. Congrats on the release

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

17 Oct 2019

Congrats, this looks awesome!

Vil
RE Developer

18 Oct 2019

.... and no one asked me, why this player dark again ... or I just have to wait? ... :)

eusti

18 Oct 2019

Why is this player dark?

;)

Love it! Definitely on my list!!!

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

eusti wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Why is this player dark?

;)

D.
Maybe the question should be why are all the other players light? Aaaah!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Vil
RE Developer

18 Oct 2019

eusti wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Why is this player dark?

;)

D.
uppss... this question came unexpectedly early... i wrote a book, and the title was: "1001 reason - why is it dark?" but suddenly I can't find it anywhere....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

Dark
Attachments
B3C257FA-1910-48FA-93F9-B7CF7A431561.jpeg
B3C257FA-1910-48FA-93F9-B7CF7A431561.jpeg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 6498 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

That dark theme always reminds me of this ice lolly from the 70s
Attachments
F8A355C1-D7D9-4726-9AB2-BB3CE3CCC253.jpeg
F8A355C1-D7D9-4726-9AB2-BB3CE3CCC253.jpeg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 6483 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Dogcat

18 Oct 2019

Just watched the video clips that are posted in the shop. Is it just me, or have Props videos by Ryan ruined it for everyone else? I am so inspired to use a new player or rack extension after watching one of his videos. Sorry, but the videos for this ScaleMatrix RE do not inspire anything. I'm sure it's a really cool RE... but unless you demonstrate it making actual music, not just saying what the buttons do and not just showing someone mucking about with it, I'm hardly at all inspired to even try it.

Loque

18 Oct 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2019
eusti wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Why is this player dark?

;)

D.
Maybe the question should be why are all the other players light? Aaaah!!!!
I think this is the right question. I smell conspiracy...
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2019

Dogcat wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Just watched the video clips that are posted in the shop. Is it just me, or have Props videos by Ryan ruined it for everyone else? I am so inspired to use a new player or rack extension after watching one of his videos. Sorry, but the videos for this ScaleMatrix RE do not inspire anything. I'm sure it's a really cool RE... but unless you demonstrate it making actual music, not just saying what the buttons do and not just showing someone mucking about with it, I'm hardly at all inspired to even try it.
I like videos which show the functionality of a device. Enlightenspeed for example and now this. Instructional. Saves me RTFM. I know this is probably controversial but I thought that last props video with the kitties was totally crap.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Dogcat

18 Oct 2019

I like videos which show the functionality of a device. Enlightenspeed for example and now this. Instructional. Saves me RTFM. I know this is probably controversial but I thought that last props video with the kitties was totally crap.
I'm certainly not against purely instructional videos, but just give me something that shows music being made. This is where so many of Ryan's videos shine (with the exception of the kitties video :D ).

Vil
RE Developer

18 Oct 2019

Probably I'm not the best video maker. But I never tried to make one in working hours.... :)

Every help are welcome (and is worth it)

xylyx

18 Oct 2019

Just watched the 3 minute long video and would have found it more useful if the background music was dropped out when demonstrating some of the features, as it was utterly distracting and clashed with the demo sounds! Bizarre decision to me...will demo it, nonetheless.

EDIT: Just watched the other videos and they are much more useful and demonstrate some interesting things the device can do.

Vil
RE Developer

18 Oct 2019

xylyx wrote:
18 Oct 2019
... and would have found it more useful if the background music was dropped out when demonstrating some of the features...
Yes, you're absolutely right! I already noticed. I made a wrong decision with the audio.
I'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

Breach The Sky

18 Oct 2019

Looks very nice. What's the difference between this and Chordline (which I own, btw)?

The display colors pops a lot more in ScaleMatrix! Maybe you should update your other devices to reflect the change in colors, just a suggestion, anyway.

Vil
RE Developer

18 Oct 2019

There are many similarity but many differences also between ChordLine and ScaleMatrix.

And Im sure, I will miss to mention most of them, but I will try... :)

Yes, both device is a chord player, and the result of this device could be same, but it depends on the usage of this devices.

ScaleMatrix is not an extended version of ChordLine. In some aspects this could be a totally different player.

And yes, there many aspects too, when ChordLine provide more, then ScaleMatrix.

In ChordLine you can define absolutely freely the assigned chords for each white pianokeys. So you can define a chord for the C pianokey from a scale, but from a totally different scale for the D pianokey. And this chords can be defined in 5 octave range.

This is not true for the ScaleMatrix. ScaleMatrix is more strict in this aspect. Probably better, if I compare the ScaleMatrix to the builtin Scales & Chords, and you will see the differences better between the ChordLine and ScaleMatrix.

You can define a scale in the ScaleMatrix like in the S&C (but the library is a little bit bigger :) ) But the chord generation is based in a different method. In the ScaleMatrix the chords based on the relative distances between the scale notes. And this could be editable up to 15th degree. (of course, this is absolutely unnecessary, only for experimenting... :) ) So, when you play on a diatonic scale, you could setup not only the basic triads or 7th chords, but sus2, sus4 or other chords also.

Oh, I almost forget it. did you try to play a viio chord on a major scale with the builtin player? OK, in most cases this chord is not useful, so I can accept this behaviour, but sometimes I would like to experiencing more.... :)

Another important difference is the lag or the delay. If you would like to arpeggiate a chord, when you using the ChordLine, you have to use an arpeggiator after it. (I recommend the Kompulsion for this, but the built in device also works) In the ScaleMatrix you can define a lag for each chord note individually, so you can emulate a strumming, or an arpeggiator in this way. And with the lag velocity reduction knob you can create a more living note rolls.... :)

Probably these are the most important differences, but please help me, if a missed somthing important....

Maybe the relation between ChordLine and ScaleMatrix are similar then the relation between the PolyStep Sequencer and the Sequences.

I think, sooner or later there will be a topic about ChordLine vs ScaleMatrix vs Scales & Chords etc. Why you need ScaleMatrix, Why you dont need ScaleMatrix, which is the better for who and why, etc.... :))))

I love every ChordLineist :) So I hope, every ChordLine user will be visiting the shop and trying the ScaleMatrix during the introductory sale.

Ohhh, one more thing! Of course, I forget the mention in the product page: the intro price available in this whole month!!

Breach The Sky

18 Oct 2019

Vil wrote:
18 Oct 2019
Snip.
That's one thorough response for sure. :) Really appreciate it!

I to like to experiment with chord progressions etc. Will try.

Vil
RE Developer

19 Oct 2019

Here is a video, what I uploaded before the release, and this video is not listed in the shop page, but probably show more in less than a minute... :)

eiresurfer

22 Oct 2019

I REALLY like the look of this.

But, word of advice, you definitely need to remove the drum track from your YouTube video:

• Information