Best RE Master Compressor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BradfordMoeller

15 Oct 2019

In your opinion, what do you think is the best rack extension compressor for use as a sole compressor in your mastering chain?
:reason:)))

Kalm

15 Oct 2019

It all came down to the Master Bus Compressor
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

selig
RE Developer

15 Oct 2019

As a long time SSL user from the 1980s, I'm a huge fan of the Master Compressor in Reason. Note, I never used the bus compressor as a "mastering" tool. It's a mix tool, even though I don't add it until my static levels are well set (so, late in the mix process). If I'm sending a mix to mastering I will disable my mastering chain but always keep the bus compressor.
Selig Audio, LLC

BradfordMoeller

15 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
15 Oct 2019
As a long time SSL user from the 1980s, I'm a huge fan of the Master Compressor in Reason. Note, I never used the bus compressor as a "mastering" tool. It's a mix tool, even though I don't add it until my static levels are well set (so, late in the mix process). If I'm sending a mix to mastering I will disable my mastering chain but always keep the bus compressor.
Thanks this is very useful! So if you were to master a track, you would keep the reason master compressor on, as well as (potentially) a separate compressor in the mastering section (I.e. the compressor in Izotope Ozone or a different RE or plugin)?
:reason:)))

Loque

15 Oct 2019

Yea, the SSL master compressor. Beside that, i would recommend C670.
Reason12, Win10

FLVZ

15 Oct 2019

my mastering strip tends to have more than one compressor, but the one i've found to have the most desirable impact each time is the Selig Leveler. I stick it near the end of the chain where after all the other plugins have worked their magic, its like this RE brings out the full potential of the mastering strip. Very transparent, brings out those details and textures that can be easily lost in the mixing process and does it without being intrusive (like i said, very transparent).

dvdrtldg

15 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
15 Oct 2019
Yep C670 works well for me, I love it

selig
RE Developer

15 Oct 2019

BradfordMoeller wrote:
15 Oct 2019
selig wrote:
15 Oct 2019
Thanks this is very useful! So if you were to master a track, you would keep the reason master compressor on, as well as (potentially) a separate compressor in the mastering section (I.e. the compressor in Izotope Ozone or a different RE or plugin)?
If I'm mastering it myself I use Ozone. If I'm sending it out to be mastered by someone else, of course I remove my mastering! Like I said, I treat the master compressor as a mix process, not a mastering process, so I would not remove it if sending the mix to be mastered - it's an integral part of the mix process for me, not the mastering process.
Selig Audio, LLC

BradfordMoeller

15 Oct 2019

Loque wrote:
15 Oct 2019
Ooh I haven't used that one a lot, I'll have to test it out, thank you!
Flavolous wrote:
15 Oct 2019
my mastering strip tends to have more than one compressor, but the one i've found to have the most desirable impact each time is the Selig Leveler. I stick it near the end of the chain where after all the other plugins have worked their magic, its like this RE brings out the full potential of the mastering strip. Very transparent, brings out those details and textures that can be easily lost in the mixing process and does it without being intrusive (like i said, very transparent).
Interesting, I've used the leveler on individual tracks and have gotten great results, sounds creative/good to me!

selig wrote:
15 Oct 2019
BradfordMoeller wrote:
15 Oct 2019

If I'm mastering it myself I use Ozone. If I'm sending it out to be mastered by someone else, of course I remove my mastering! Like I said, I treat the master compressor as a mix process, not a mastering process, so I would not remove it if sending the mix to be mastered - it's an integral part of the mix process for me, not the mastering process.
Thank you! I always thought of a "master compressor" as a part of the mastering chain instead of an additional mixing tool before mastering. I feel like I've gained an extra tool in my mixing/mastering process now!
Last edited by BradfordMoeller on 15 Oct 2019, edited 5 times in total.

• Information