Scenic!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

26 Oct 2019

Sooooooo... Scenic has now been updated to 1.1.0 and you can load any sample you want. Thoughts?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

retreed
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Oct 2019
Sooooooo... Scenic has now been updated to 1.1.0 and you can load any sample you want. Thoughts?
The sample loading was a requested features and it will help some people but we are spoilt with Grain that offers so many more features to manipulate a sample compared to Scenic. I found myself deactivating Scenic's own engines and use it as a nice multi effect unit, where it can really shine, be it by feeding two Grains into the two audio inputs. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

retreed wrote:
26 Oct 2019
EnochLight wrote:
26 Oct 2019
The sample loading was a requested features and it will help some people but we are spoilt with Grain that offers so many more features to manipulate a sample compared to Scenic. I found myself deactivating Scenic's own engines and use it as a nice multi effect unit, where it can really shine, be it by feeding two Grains into the two audio inputs. :)
People should be happy about the update since that's what most people complained about.

It might be the case that Grain can do more than Scenic, but for a dumbass like myself I prefer to use something like Scenic. It's just easier to work with. Less options with the grain engine. I understand other people want MORE, but for me this is preferable. The "pulse" section is really nice with Scenic too. Easy to get results quickly.

PinkSlime

27 Oct 2019

in my opinion sample loading was poorly implemented. you cannot even loop the playback like in NN19. Before we move to granular features this could have been considered

SpeculationStudios

28 Oct 2019

by PinkSlime » Yesterday

in my opinion sample loading was poorly implemented. you cannot even loop the playback like in NN19. Before we move to granular features this could have been considered
I'm still new to Reason, and may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but the loaded sample can be looped using the loop edit feature. If that's what you meant.

ShelLuser

28 Oct 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Oct 2019
People should be happy about the update since that's what most people complained about.
But here also lies the problem: how many people can no longer experience the update? (or don't want to?).

I tested Scenic as an RE, decided it was not for me so I removed it and that was the end of that. And since updates do not re-init the trial period ("try once, get denied forever") you're now stuck.

And there will also be people who tried it, got disappointed and who never look back. First experiences are often a big thing.
--- :reason:

miscend

29 Oct 2019

If Scenic sucks that doesn’t bode well for the Reason 11 Suite. Especially for those of us that decided to hold out on upgrading.

xboix

29 Oct 2019

I have to say I quite like Scenic. One of the better synths in the suite I think. Simple things done well.

PinkSlime

30 Oct 2019

SpeculationStudios wrote:
28 Oct 2019
by PinkSlime » Yesterday

I'm still new to Reason, and may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but the loaded sample can be looped using the loop edit feature. If that's what you meant.
you are right, it can be done in the editor. Problem is, then you have to resave the sample and it works in the project you have open. If the loop feature was on Scenic itself, then you could save patches of your samples (with loop on) for later use referencing the original sample in its original location.

pushedbutton

30 Oct 2019

well I like it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

antic604

16 Apr 2020

So... What's the verdict on Scenic half a year after it's been released? There was a lot of noise & hype in the early days but it seems to have vanished by now, in contrast to such synths like Complex-1, Parsec, Antidote, etc. that are still often a subject of discussions.

I'm slowly thinking of what to get when May Madness starts (I hope it does?) and Scenic was in the top 5 wantlist items, but perhaps I should drop that idea?

EDIT: wtf? there's still no User Manual for it? :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

tobypearce

29 Apr 2020

It's pretty good whenever I use it, but I don't bust it out as much as I could do.

I'm not sure, but I think one of the reasons for this is that it has quite a wide sound palette so I rarely think: ooo - Scenic would be great for this part. If I have a direction in mind for a sound, normally an instrument comes into my head that I can use to create it, and I go to that.

So more effort required from me!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Apr 2020

I never use the presets, and the performance view with the poorly-thought-out "spoke" controls is useless, but I actually use it somewhat regularly to quickly whip up an atmospheric pad.

It's a nice value-add for Suite, but I wouldn't recommend it on its own when there are "cinematic pad rompler" VSTs with much deeper libraries and better-designed UIs for only a little more.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Apr 2020
So... What's the verdict on Scenic half a year after it's been released? There was a lot of noise & hype in the early days but it seems to have vanished by now, in contrast to such synths like Complex-1, Parsec, Antidote, etc. that are still often a subject of discussions.

I'm slowly thinking of what to get when May Madness starts (I hope it does?) and Scenic was in the top 5 wantlist items, but perhaps I should drop that idea?

I quite like it. It offers something different compared to all my other instruments/synths. It sounds nothing like the normal type of synths so that's a useless comparison. For me Scenic is perfect when I want something more organic sounding, yet not completely acoustic/real sounding. It's like somewhere in between. At least that's what I think about when I reach for Scenic. It has its place. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it (99 euros) but imo it would be worth getting in a sale or in a bundle. I got it in the Suite upgrade and I haven't had any regrets. I'm glad I own it.

geronimo

18 May 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Apr 2020
I confirm: no manual .
I would have appreciated information about the FX Input jacks, on the back and above all, how do we loop the waveforms.

The edition seems poor to me at this level.

EDIT: I found for FX Inputs that can be used when the Scenic is used as an external effect processor. :thumbs_up:
Last edited by geronimo on 18 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

18 May 2020

I like using it as a send effect... Just wish the reverb had a longer tail.

miscend

16 Aug 2020

I'm super late to the party but I finally jumped on the bandwagon. First impressions are that this reminds me of the NI play series (Hybrid Keys, Analogue Keys, Ethereal Earth) with patches created from blending two sample based A and B engines. So far it seems like Scenic is more powerful with more effects and sound sculpting options. It's pretty cool for what it is, I dont get the hate!

Steedus
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

I actually quite like it. It's different (for me), and the effects are nice. But I'm a patch guy first and foremost and I find I run out of "content" quite quickly. Even the included sound sources seem a tad on the limited side. Sample loading is great for those that can use it, but I'd like to see an update with new sounds and patches at some point.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

Steedus wrote:
16 Aug 2020
I actually quite like it. It's different (for me), and the effects are nice. But I'm a patch guy first and foremost and I find I run out of "content" quite quickly. Even the included sound sources seem a tad on the limited side. Sample loading is great for those that can use it, but I'd like to see an update with new sounds and patches at some point.
NI Pharlight is also with similar type engine, and some very interesting sounds.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

^ Cheers, I looked into NI a while ago but grabbed Suite instead. I think NI is a bit too expensive & feels like going down a completely new rabbit hole for an amateur like me haha.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

Yeah, I though so too, but got my starter Komplete via HW and 50% off the upgrade.
If you download the Pharlight demo you can play with for 15 min each time and probably (I'm guessing) recreate some stuff in Scenic/Grain. Bunch of cool sounds in it actually, not the same old VA or sampled analog re-hashed stuff.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

17 Aug 2020

miscend wrote:
16 Aug 2020
I dont get the hate!
The hate is mostly because it sort of "represents" the introduction of R11 Suite and Suite definitely split the crowd! :D

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

I like Scenic, but i prefer to do sound design in Grain and Torsion. I see the appeal of the device, and i like to mingle with the most ominous sounds, but TBH it doesn't add much to what you can do with a couple of grains and any sound generator. I mean, grain, thor and a bunch of effects can do what this does and more. I believe its easier to program this kind of sounds, but I find it difficult to see what it does more than that kind of arrangement.

That being said, I haven't explored it much, and i believe the added value is that you can achieve things faster than having to route all stuff and mingle with external effects for stuff that is already inside Scenic. It's a good-looking device but since I use external controllers a lot, that part is not a that important.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
17 Aug 2020
miscend wrote:
16 Aug 2020
I dont get the hate!
The hate is mostly because it sort of "represents" the introduction of R11 Suite and Suite definitely split the crowd! :D
Suite is only a bunch of Re that they added to create sort of a higher valued product. For now suite doesn't even have more functionality, which I'd like to not see changed. But the fact that the app is renamed and is a different compilation (everything from remote to plugins went to different places), indicates me they might add differentiated functionality to Suite in the future.

I'd say hate is a big word, but probably because it's noticeable that the device is a bit redundant if you know the inner workings of Grain. But people who try it and start working with sound design in it, like it.

Chizmata

11 Apr 2022

my thoughts on scenic after working with it on a couple tracks now:

- i think you can get some amazing results from it if you use it as a quick fix/patch browsing device.
- if you want to get creative and deep, scenic is a pain in th a** to work with. everything is so fumbly and complicated while lacking crucial funtions like cv scaling, cv latching, copying synth/fx from one engine to the other, route both through the same effect path or rearrange the fx chain. making a track with scenic takes waay longer for me than with any other synth.

but i also think i have learned that i have approached this synth kinda wrong, its not your typical layering machine but allows you to combine two very differing sounds to a lush soundscape that varies on different levels. i'll still go deeper into it after this painful lesson.

so what you ppl's impression?

• Information