Still no opt-out option when syncing REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

Well the website has been re-done but STILL no check boxes to chose which REs get or don't get installed when you push the "Sync All" button. I mean I don't know how hard that'd be to implement but there's a lot of people who have said it's something which is sorely missing.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Zac

19 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2019
Well the website has been re-done but STILL no check boxes to chose which REs get or don't get installed when you push the "Sync All" button. I mean I don't know how hard that'd be to implement but there's a lot of people who have said it's something which is sorely missing.
Absolutely. I think they hire kids on 'work experience' to do their web stuff.

Am I the only one or do the y's look homemade on the homepage. Weird 90 degree angle hangers :shock:

boingy

19 Sep 2019

They haven't really redone the website - they've just "re-skinned" it so none of the functionality will have changed (apart from some broken links).

But, yes, selective sync would be a godsend. I always "buy" any RE that comes up as free just so it is on my account even if I don't know what it is meant to do but I don't particularly want all of them downloaded.

It wasn't such a big deal when there were only a few REs but now there are 89 free ones according to the Reasonistas "Free Re Checker" Combinator.

BjΓΈrn Felle

19 Sep 2019

Zac wrote: ↑
19 Sep 2019
Am I the only one or do the y's look homemade on the homepage. Weird 90 degree angle hangers :shock:
yeah that font is bizarre

dhruan

19 Sep 2019

+1
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

gullum

21 Sep 2019

Absolutely missing
I formatted and reinstalled Mac OS and Reason then manually downloaded around 60 RE's our of 160 that I have in my RS account that means there are about 100 RE's I don't want to sync to my computer

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2019

Are Propellerheads (ReasonStudios??!) reading this? Is it actually a difficult thing to implement? Will it ever happen? Do they even care?
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

Zac

21 Sep 2019

21 Sep 2019
Are Propellerheads (ReasonStudios??!) reading this? Is it actually a difficult thing to implement? Will it ever happen? Do they even care?
I think they're busy preparing for the R11 release on the 25th.

I am going to have a bit of a rant here... I really think that 'quality of experience' requests like this and workflow improvements really aren't on Verdane's radar.

They are after better market penetration IMO. And which company isn't? But I think whilst there are still 'prestige' changes to be made, these will come first at the expense of all other potential updates.

The new customer is golden. 'He' has no REs. He has no Refills, etc. He is unlikely to carry any dissatisfaction or prejudice. His spending potential is probably hundreds of % greater than established users.

I'm feeling very cynical about the props right now because my direction desires are not being met as an established user. But I can also see the joy on the kvr forum from other DAW users excited about the Reason VST Rack.

My solution? Start the journey to becoming one of them. IMO Verdane are in charge and their direction doesn't suit me relying on Reason as a DAW.

I am going to make some music now. I get way to tied up in all this stuff which I have no control over.

boingy

21 Sep 2019

21 Sep 2019
21 Sep 2019
I think they're busy preparing for the R11 release on the 25th.

I am going to have a bit of a rant here... I really think that 'quality of experience' requests like this and workflow improvements really aren't on Verdane's radar.

They are after better market penetration IMO. And which company isn't? But I think whilst there are still 'prestige' changes to be made, these will come first at the expense of all other potential updates.

The new customer is golden. 'He' has no REs. He has no Refills, etc. He is unlikely to carry any dissatisfaction or prejudice. His spending potential is probably hundreds of % greater than established users.

I'm feeling very cynical about the props right now because my direction desires are not being met as an established user. But I can also see the joy on the kvr forum from other DAW users excited about the Reason VST Rack.

My solution? Start the journey to becoming one of them. IMO Verdane are in charge and their direction doesn't suit me relying on Reason as a DAW.

I am going to make some music now. I get way to tied up in all this stuff which I have no control over.
But, actually, I think it is easier to extract money from the longer term customers rather than new ones. Once you have bought into the Reason ecosystem the temptation is always there to expand your sonic armoury and it's just a click away.

guitfnky

21 Sep 2019

21 Sep 2019
I really think that 'quality of experience' requests like this and workflow improvements really aren't on Verdane's radar.
their feedback form still seems to be working. :)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/contact/feedback

and to be clear, I'm not posting this to be snarky...I genuinely think we need to stop expecting Reason Studios to find all their feature requests on this forum. the only way we can be certain they've seen our requests is to send them directly to RS (or if they've commented on them here in the forums, which is understandably rare).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

RobC

22 Sep 2019

I'm a FREE RE pack-rat as well. : / Or was. Now I don't even DL what I might find useful, cause I'm already cluttered up.

antic604

23 Sep 2019

I could live with it still downloading all the REs that I have, but - for God's sake! - let me disable them in Reason, like we CAN DO for VSTs. Or is that left out as yet another reason to move to other DAWs, because I can do that in S1 or Cubase...

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

23 Sep 2019

21 Sep 2019
I really think that 'quality of experience' requests like this and workflow improvements really aren't on Verdane's radar.

Sadly, this has nothing to do with Verdane: the Reason user experience, from the software to the Shop is 100% determined by Reason project management staff, and for reasons beyond comprehension they are determined to believe they know what you want, and that's that you don't want the option to desync REs (or folded panels on Players).

This is demonstrable by the fact that important requests and user feedback get ignored, repeatedly, over the course of nearly a decade.

Ironically I was having a conversation about this subject of RE syncing with someone else today, and he said to me "like all of their infrastructure, it seems there's no one able/willing to make any serious changes outside of Reason itself". [While a really cynical wag might wonder if they're that willing to make any serious changes within Reason itself ... :lol: ] I did note his assertion is very true because "none of them need to use it". They have custom dev tools that likely bypass a lot of the crap we put up with, and only really use their own devices, or a very few select RE devs devices in addition, so they simply don't realise how bad it is. Like so many borked implementations, you can tell they don't really use it beyond 1-2-1-2-testing-testing-working-fine! or else it would be immediately apparent the functionality is a bad user experience that they'd put in a modicum of effort to fix it.

And splitting the RE list into multiple pages only made the damn resync issue worse, and is a prime example of the abject stupidity abound these days. Authoriser remains a boring spreadsheet and so there's no driver for the KVR crowd trialling the plugin towards the shop, so I'm not sure where vague shit-at-wall assertions that the plugin will benefit RE devs helps. This crap is Marketing for Dumbasses 101: offer synergy, fluidity, flexibility for the user at all stages. But they never progressed beyond the first few pages of their dog-eared copy of Roger Hargreaves' Mr Uppity, which was meant to be a morality tale about personal improvement, not a lifestyle guide into how to act like a snob when someone has a valid concern.

But their response boils down to "well, we don't have a problem with it, therefore no-one else can", or the classic "Back in 1968 we only had four-track recorders and we're all about music, so you can't possibly need to desync your REs!"".

And don't worry, the KVR crowd are unlikely to remain joyful for long. The rest of your post is bloody spot-on, though :D

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2019
Like so many borked implementations, you can tell they don't really use it beyond 1-2-1-2-testing-testing-working-fine! or else it would be immediately apparent the functionality is a bad user experience that they'd put in a modicum of effort to fix it.
This is so true and applicable to the browser experience, 100000 times. I think everyone at the office should be forced to use it a few hours a day - with all REs, ReFills and a bunch of VST installed - and make a list of all the things that need improvement. Only after that, they're free to ignore the countless lists of browser feature requests already out there.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel β€’α΄—β€’

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2019

Thanks for the info JP.
Strangely enough Mr Uppity was the first Mr Men book I ever got :).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Sep 2019

23 Sep 2019
Thanks for the info JP.
Mr Mischief and Mr Nonsense were always my favourites. I think I took them too much to heart! :lol:

No joke, I did an essay on the Mr Men at university as part of a module on children's literature and media, and focused particularly on Mr Mischief, which is fascinating as it was the only book in the series (that I was aware of in the original Roger H. run) where the usual morality format used for "bad" characters is inverted and the character reverts to type at the end.

Was your Mr Uppity a present? As your first Mr Men book that's a really curious choice ;) Someone trying to tell you something? ;)

This doesn't help fix Reason infrastructure problems and digressions are a fine way to kill off threads. So, apparently Reason 11 launches tomorrow and the new plugin version is going to encourage other DAW users to buy lots of REs. Let's take a look at what they're going to see tomorrow.

authorisers.jpg
authorisers.jpg (383.24 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
So advantages of Authoriser. Well, you can delete installed plugins from there, and that's not always the case in competing plugin managers, to be fair, but in practice it's little use if the damn things are just resynced next time you have to sync and you're scrambling to hit the cancel button in Authoriser. You have to remember what plugins users want installed!

But in every way Authoriser is a souless, boring spreadsheet.

You can't selectively disable or sync individual or all items from within the licensing program, you can only sync from the Shop Account page :roll: . You can't see if anything has been updated with bug fixes or upgrades :roll: . You can't see what's the latest news and releases from the shop, including new offers users might be interested in :roll: . It's so, so dated. I genuinely can't think of why they'd go into Reason Plugin with their licensing mechanism so far behind what the competition does in most respects, other than simply it's too much effort to be bothered with it all. There's nothing there or in Reason itself driving users towards to the Shop.

The trouble with RS is they're all about the headline. The headline is Reason Plugin. The mechanics, the details that make it a useable system simply do not interest them because licensing software is not something that gets likes and praise on Facebook. But in 2020 it's a fundamental part of the process for audio plugins, whether we like it or not. So you need to make it as clear and easy-to-use and visually interesting for the end user as you can. We're used to Authoriser because we were in a walled garden in 2012. We're all used to it. Outsiders I would anticipate will be left surprised and bemused by RS's use of a GUI from the Windows 3 era.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

24 Sep 2019
23 Sep 2019
Thanks for the info JP.
Mr Mischief and Mr Nonsense were always my favourites. I think I took them too much to heart! :lol:

No joke, I did an essay on the Mr Men at university as part of a module on children's literature and media, and focused particularly on Mr Mischief, which is fascinating as it was the only book in the (that I was aware of in the original Roger H. run) where the usual morality format used for "bad" characters is inverted and the character reverts to type at the end.

Was your Mr Uppity a present? As your first Mr Men book that's a really curious choice ;) Someone trying to tell you something? ;)

Nah...I went to school with a guy who's mum bought him everything he wanted. He had the whole set but I only got to read them when I was at his house. I got all my toys and books at jumble sales, and let's face it, who would give away their Mr Men books?
Anyway...I was out with my grandpa one Sunday and he was in a newsagent buying a paper and a packet of Oddfellows (old man sweets) and they had Mr Uppity in a revolving rack so he bought it and we read it in the park. The only other one I ever had was Mr Greedy.
Uppity and greedy. Yep...that's me.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Sep 2019

24 Sep 2019
24 Sep 2019

No joke, I did an essay on the Mr Men at university as part of a module on children's literature and media, and focused particularly on Mr Mischief, which is fascinating as it was the only book in the (that I was aware of in the original Roger H. run) where the usual morality format used for "bad" characters is inverted and the character reverts to type at the end.

Nah...I went to school with a guy who's mum bought him everything he wanted. He had the whole set but I only got to read them when I was at his house. I got all my toys and books at jumble sales, and let's face it, who would give away their Mr Men books?
Anyway...I was out with my grandpa one Sunday and he was in a newsagent buying a paper and a packet of Oddfellows (old man sweets) and they had Mr Uppity in a revolving rack so he bought it and we read it in the park. The only other one I ever had was Mr Greedy.
I can't remember what my first one was. Possibly it was the more obscure Mr Snow or Mr Sneeze. I remember I had the "Mr Men Wall Freize"

Of course there's a picture on't web. It seemed like it was a mile long to me as a nipper.

("Please allow 28 days for delivery!") :lol: Ah the happy, good old days... They'd always take the full 28 Earth rotations! And that's six months in child days!

edit: lol, if there's one time the stupid 9:16 phone aspect ratio would have been actually worth using, it was taking a photo of the 1981 Mr Men Wall Freize!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

24 Sep 2019
24 Sep 2019

I can't remember what my first one was. Possibly it was the more obscure Mr Snow or Mr Sneeze. I remember I had the "Mr Men Wall Freize"

Of course there's a picture on't web. It seemed like it was a mile long to me as a nipper.

("Please allow 28 days for delivery!") :lol: Ah the happy, good old days... They'd always take the full 28 Earth rotations! And that's six months in child days!

edit: lol, if there's one time the stupid 9:16 phone aspect ratio would have been actually worth using, it was taking a photo of the 1981 Mr Men Wall Freize!
Just checked the record collection and I found a Return of the Mr Men LP containing a free Mr Rush flexi :). Beat that one man.
I tried using the "take picture" option in the attachments tab but got an http error.
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

24 Sep 2019

24 Sep 2019

Just checked the record collection and I found a Return of the Mr Men LP containing a free Mr Rush flexi :). Beat that one man.
I tried using the "take picture" option in the attachments tab but got an http error.
I don't think the Swedish libraries hold a copy of Mr Rush. There are copies of Mr Slow, Mr Topsy-Turvey, and Mr Hipster though...*

_____
*I might have made one of those up.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

24 Sep 2019
24 Sep 2019

I don't think the Swedish libraries hold a copy of Mr Rush. There are copies of Mr Slow, Mr Topsy-Turvey, and Mr Hipster though...*

_____
*I might have made one of those up.
I think Mr Rush was printed in a limited edition of 2112 :).
πŸ—² 2ΰ₯ ᛉ

seqoi

24 Sep 2019

+1

Some simple tick or untick + save button would be great when it comes to Shop syncing.

Like you log in, untick Rack Extensions which you don't want to synchronize, press Save and that's it.

I guess they (maybe) want to avoid support resources being exhausted by funny people asking them why does their REs doesn't update when they press Sync. Because they forgot to enable/tick them for update :)

• Information