KRON and ARCUS Updates / Alien Seed REs are on sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
starship

Post 05 Sep 2019

Yo! Updates are in the shop for the KRON and ARCUS; and all 3 (PSDN too) are on sale this month!

Links to the REs:
The ARCUS has more combi patches from its patch competition, plus a couple minor bug fixes (1.0.2). And it's on sale for only 9 Euro/USD!
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ser-knobs/

The KRON is now 1.2.1 with a large bugfix update. Most of these bugs were in the custom waveform editor but there were some other doozies. :) On sale for half of this month!
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... sion/kron/

The PSDN's also on sale (half off)... still working on the update. :)
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... generator/

Details on the REs:
For those new to the ARCUS, it's a 1U CV knobs device with curving and fancy changing-color-with-position rainbow knobs, and a ton of other controls and I/O. It's a gigantic help when making patches, automating, and especially IMO just sound design in general. It really helps solve the deficiencies of the combinator, adding as many controls as you want that can be nonlinear, precise, and have larger and easier-to-grok knobs and labels. It's great for linking stuff together and making all kinds of parameters in your songs easier to tweak.

For those new to (or afraid of) the KRON ;), it's a powerful LFO generator/combiner galore with a ridiculous number of options and such. Drawbacks include its complexity, but its strengths are in making waveforms and LFOs do things that no other devices in the shop can do. I.e. get it so you can make patches that simply can't be made otherwise, and you'll wonder how you ever did without! :)

And the PSDN... still working on the giant 2.0 update, and it's a hell of an update. More apologies for taking so long. If you wonder why the PSDN has kept at its original price, rarely goes on sale, and is probably too much for what it is, it's because this 2.0 update will be free and totally worth whatever you've paid for the PSDN beforehand. E.g. grab it on sale and forget about it till I finally solve all the bugs and quit implementing features and release the wanker. :) (FWIW, it's 4U, looks great, has full poly modes, with some insane and useful options, and damn does it ever shine with built-in devices and IDK, anything... :))

Bug Fix Details:
ARCUS 1.0.2:
the note values were being displayed 2 octaves above their actual input/output value
a rare graphics bug

KRON 1.2.1:
fixed something with the mod section.. a display inefficiency
fixed clear mod menu for quants

fixed various drawing problems with the custom waveform display
fixed problem with clusters of points at the beginning making it hard to manipulate certain points
1 error with curved waveforms sometimes causing a very rapid spike halfway between the first and last points
problem with not drawing updated wave ends

grid snap errors and misalignment problems
fixed problems with moving waves left/right
fixed random wave gen when grid-snapped problems
fixed problems with add/delete/grab

forced 2d displays' fps to not be >= 40 fps to avoid skipping crucial frames (sdk basically has max 40 fps for these)
the waveform tool menu now has the right undo action descriptor
some other stuff I forgot to write down and/or is sorta folded into the above fixes

MannequinRaces

Post 05 Sep 2019

Cool! Anything new you’re working on? :)

starship

Post 05 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Yes, but I haven't touched it in months. It'll probably be exciting. :)

moneykube

Post 06 Sep 2019

ok interested in kron... price is right... guestiion...how much damage does this beast do to dsp? Expanse bring my computer to it's knees sadly amoung a few others I egret buying because they constantly freeze, cack, or do poppy crackly things... semi easy on dsp ... purchase likely :puf_smile:

starship

Post 06 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
06 Sep 2019
ok interested in kron... price is right... guestiion...how much damage does this beast do to dsp? Expanse bring my computer to it's knees sadly amoung a few others I egret buying because they constantly freeze, cack, or do poppy crackly things... semi easy on dsp ... purchase lokely
Cool!

It's not a total DSP beast, but if you have enough of them, you'll notice it. And you can turn the graphics off which helps when you've maxed out a song against your cores. I used that a lot on my previous computer. :) And I used a lot of them too, on a computer that was pretty dated (4 core intel from like a decade ago). So I mean it's not as fast as I wish it was but surely it's not as much of a DSP-hog as Expanse. :) I think you'll be fine. Demo it first and see how it goes maybe. :)

I will say that some combinator patches in there have a lot of KRONs, and on my patches the number of KRONs is part of the patch name. Also, the KRON does take a while to load. It's not that bad, but if you have enough of them it's noticeable. As near as I can tell there's nothing I can do about that. It doesn't bother me much on my new computer, but on my old computer if I used dozens of 'em in a song, I'd be annoyed by the wait. It'd be worth the wait though. ;) This is only an issue when loading a song or combi patch.

moneykube

Post 06 Sep 2019

ok sold me... I can navigate around what you stated if I have to... in the mean time... a big learning curve... thanks for update and sale... been eying it awhile

MannequinRaces

Post 07 Sep 2019

starship wrote:
05 Sep 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Yes, but I haven't touched it in months. It'll probably be exciting. :)
Very nice! I always look forward to new stuff from you and it's good to see that CV devices in Reason aren't dead. Keep up the good work!

moneykube

Post 07 Sep 2019

not understanding difference between PSDN and kron as I am cv retarded... layman terms explaination please... is it I toned down version of kron.?
.. so many questions... so little time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :puf_wink:... next learning phase cv my friends
:puf_wink:

starship

Post 07 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
07 Sep 2019
not understanding difference between PSDN and kron as I am cv retarded... layman terms explaination please... is it I toned down version of kron.?
.. so many questions... so little time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :puf_wink:... next learning phase cv my friends
:puf_wink:
KRON is primarily a set of LFOs and combiner, deluxe. The PSDN does envelopes. They have related curve sections and other features but are otherwise pretty different.

:)

akeia

Post 07 Sep 2019

I bought ARCUS and it is great. A device with focused functionality that solves one or more problems.

In my opinion Kron and PSDN are confusing. And the videos are even more confusing. They feel like random rambling but not a product video trying to explain the use cases for the product. What for do I need such complex LFOs and envelopes? What is the advantage over simpler LFOs and Envelope rack plugins?

zoidkirb

Post 07 Sep 2019

akeia wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I bought ARCUS and it is great. A device with focused functionality that solves one or more problems.

In my opinion Kron and PSDN are confusing. And the videos are even more confusing. They feel like random rambling but not a product video trying to explain the use cases for the product. What for do I need such complex LFOs and envelopes? What is the advantage over simpler LFOs and Envelope rack plugins?
Yes ARCUS is amazing and imo a must have in Reason. Kron I guess isn't quite so immediate since on the surface it is primarily LFO'S but there's just so many little ways to control the shape and behavior of those lfo's, cross modulate them, quantize them, or simply draw an lfo. It's great just to go cv crazy within one neat device. It can be daunting but I've purely learnt what I know from just trying every knob and window that I can find and seeing what it does. I feel a deep dive into the manual to properly figure out stuff like the mod matrix and custom user knobs is gonna be mandatory for me.

Reasonable man

Post 07 Sep 2019

Yer i think Kron has potental to give brain damage :mrgreen:

Alot of the wave edit tools like snap/allaign/reset x/y values etc etc is a bit overkill imo. But this is the most unique device in reason by some distance. The mod matrix is obviously the key to the whole thing ..... alot more advanced than thor's for complexity ..thats foe sure.
I think you have to decide imo beforehand what you want it for. If for simple lfos ..there's no need to go through gates or quants. For sequening the quants are the gates and if you want it to react in real time ..put it in a combi...recieve notes ticked and have the gates 1/2 set to 'note'.Thats only 3 ways of using it!

I remember going through the combies that come with it and they are really inspiring..off the top of my head i think..
Bass go Ruh, Marching to uncertain doom...made me laugh ..you just cant do this stuff with anything other than this device.
The problem with it is it takes you away from music for a long time and gets you caught up in just progaramming and sound design.

moneykube

Post 08 Sep 2019

:lol: :lol: :lol: well bought all 3 as they seem to work in conjunction with one another... the videos also confuse me... but hey... looks like all 3 can do things I never dreamed of... exploration and discovery time :exclamation:

moneykube

Post 08 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
08 Sep 2019
:lol: :lol: :lol: well bought all 3 as they seem to work in conjunction with one another... the videos also confuse me... but hey... looks like all 3 can do things I never dreamed of... exploration and discovery time :exclamation:
95 canadian beats 150 canadian for a lame upgrade any day :puf_wink: sorry r11 is not an impressive upgrade so far for me... got all the tools I need..and much more then I need

Reasonable man

Post 08 Sep 2019

Ha.... Kron just wrote itself an Irish Reel.
Is there anything it can't do? lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pruhck1igmas9 ... l.cmb?dl=0

Crumbfort

Post 08 Sep 2019

Just picked up KRON to complete the Alien Seed Tech set. This device is brilliant... why'd I wait so long?!

moneykube

Post 08 Sep 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Ha.... Kron just wrote itself an Irish Reel.
Is there anything it can't do? lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pruhck1igmas9 ... l.cmb?dl=0
cool

moneykube

Post 08 Sep 2019

hey any patches , explainations, files or anything on all these racks appreciated... my mind is melting... cv alien seed indeed :lol: :lol: :lol: :puf_wink:
love :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it all

Reasonable man

Post 10 Sep 2019

moneykube wrote:
08 Sep 2019
hey any patches , explainations, files or anything on all these racks appreciated... my mind is melting... cv alien seed indeed :lol: :lol: :lol: :puf_wink:
love :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it all
I think imo kron can be seen as being based on two seperate devices.
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... processor/ (This is the 4 lfo sections)
and
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ine-mixer/ (This is the grid section)

On top of this it combines a curved midpoint section (bottom of lfo sections) and can gernerate its own square wave gates (quants) that can be sent out as a gate step sequence or can be used to quantize/smooth the lfo output signals using a different rate to whatever rate the lfo's are set to.

I did this Europa patch last night ( I'm still very much learning sound design) . It uses the even power crossfader patch from the 'tools' folder that comes with the device . i think the lfo's are originally ment to control either the level or pan of 4 instruments connected to a line mixer inside a combi for crossfading. ....but i just mapped the 4 knobs of kron to combi rotaries which are then modded by kron's own grid (loop). I just sent out random cv signals to syncronous and other devices etc .
The patches that come with it are excellent imo . if you like wobble bass ..there are several brilliant patches , and there is a humana section that is just awesome .... The 81 page manual is great nightime reading :mrgreen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7u2gehmda195b ... e.cmb?dl=0

moneykube

Post 10 Sep 2019

awesome stuff dude... checking into it all

• Information