Donationware Rack Extension - Would you buy it to support dev?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Would you buy a RE, knowing that it will be free in next month, just to support the developer??

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 34
NaviRetlav

01 Sep 2019

What If I make a paid ($9) RE product made out of samples that I already released as free download on my website ? :P

Boombastix
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

You could also do two versions one Light that is free, and another with all the samples for $9, that way you kind of get both options. They who think it is good or just want to support buy it for $9. Those who want it free or spend some extended time trying it download the free Light version.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Proboscis

02 Sep 2019

NaviRetlav wrote:
01 Sep 2019
What If I make a paid ($9) RE product made out of samples that I already released as free download on my website ? :P
Apart from Grain & Europa, most all of the instruments Propellerhead offer these days are repackaged samples from a million years ago, $99 for the privilege of paying a second time for them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gosh

02 Sep 2019

NaviRetlav wrote:
01 Sep 2019
please do so, navi. as a long time fan of your refills i know that your products are of a high qualtity. give it a nice gui and functionality and i will gladly support you by buying the RE. :thumbs_up:

platzangst

02 Sep 2019

This question puts me in mind of much of my music buying on Bandcamp. A lot of artists offer their work for free, but the link will say something like "name your price" - and you can enter in "0" for a free download, or you can choose to send money of whatever amount.

Whenever I encounter something like that, if I like the album being presented enough to download it, I'll usually kick in a few bucks. However, if I don't care for the album, I won't download it, even for free. The musician may be the coolest guy around, but I'm not sending money to "support the artist" (though it may have that effect), I'm doing it to acknowledge a worthy creation.

And that's kind of my perspective on donations, as well - I generally reserve donations for things where there's an ongoing continuous production, some sort of serial form like a video series or online comic, but if there are discrete products like albums or REs, I prefer to spend my money on a good product rather than "supporting the creator". That may be a fine distinction, but that's how I look at it.

• Information