Donationware Rack Extension - Would you buy it to support dev?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Would you buy a RE, knowing that it will be free in next month, just to support the developer??

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 34
NaviRetlav

01 Sep 2019

Hey.
I'm working on my first RE, and I have a very curious idea and question.

Would you buy a RE (effect or instrument) with a $9 USD price, knowing that it will be free in next month??
I mean that the first month price will be there only to support the developer.

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

That totally depends on the RE.
If you decide to go that route, make it very clear in bold print that'll be free a month later, because otherwise some folks that bought it will be pissed :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MannequinRaces

01 Sep 2019

If the RE fills a hole in my RE collection and it’s worthwhile sure. If not, nope!

RobC

01 Sep 2019

I'm afraid, you'd be handled like a church mouse.

ShelLuser

01 Sep 2019

I voted 'no' because I think this would become a very weird setup. No offense intended but... support you with what exactly? The development? Or help you to polish up your reputation by giving something away for "free" even though other backers funded the whole (or a lot) of it?

It doesn't seem fair to me either way so I definitely wouldn't support this.

IMO it would be better to release 2 devices: one free and one for purchase. That way there can never be any confusion about anything, nor do you risk to send out wrong signals.
--- :reason:

Jackjackdaw

01 Sep 2019

I'm fully behind supporting devs but if the dev needs the money and the Re is decent then why does it need to be bumped for free at all?

QVprod

01 Sep 2019

Just sell it. If it’s good, people will buy it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

I think this kind of idea works better if there's a "pay what you want" system.

But it's probably better to just set a price that you think your product is worth.

Loque

01 Sep 2019

TBH, depends if i need or want it, or if it is worth to support. I cant answer this question across the board. I also spent for other stuff, that was previously free and is still free.
Reason12, Win10

dioxide

01 Sep 2019

Sell it. Your time and expertise has value.

Loque

01 Sep 2019

dioxide wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Sell it. Your time and expertise has value.
Would probably be the easiest solution.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

If it’s good then of course people that want it will pay €9 for it. If you’re already thinking about giving it away free then do that. Is the result of this poll going to influence your decision either way?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

And if you consider the RE and its content an advertisement for your shop, treat it like a business expense and just give it away for free.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

Can I answer this question after the 30 day trial?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Yonatan

01 Sep 2019

Selling for at least something might get a few pennies via subscription down the road.
But as already said, it depends what it is.
I guess giving a free device may be good if a developer has other paid devices, as the free ones make some attention and creates goodwill. Look at say Kuassa with free EQ.
Or Kilohearts with a few to get attention to the whole bundle etc.

boingy

01 Sep 2019

So should we all be voting "yes" to get it into the shop then just wait to get it for free? :twisted:

Yonatan

01 Sep 2019

Often the support donations seem to work best when doing in advance like pitching the idea, and if interesting, there is always some entusiasts that are willing to put in something early in the development process if they get to get the device early on maybe even in beta, and some others maybe even offer free help with some tasks, if they get it for free or discounted later at release.

The model paying and then it gets free for all else. Dont think it has been tested in the shop yet, although some devices suddenly is free for certain time frame later on, but often a lot longer time until it gets free.

Yonatan

01 Sep 2019

Another way, through a bit more risky, is to have it free in shop but mentioning that those who find it useful can donate something via XYZ.
I mean if the device is a bit too simple for the lowest price in shop, but you still would not disagree if those liking it and want to enciurage to see more from, can donate something.
We see this quite often with free VST.

Alkua

01 Sep 2019

People will be pissed. Maybe do your first RE free and the second paid, the third free and fourth paid, etc...

Loque

01 Sep 2019

This poll is interesting from society perspective...we have to go a long, long way....
Reason12, Win10

NaviRetlav

01 Sep 2019

Thanks for all the answers so far.
The main idea was to release the RE at $9 and include the info that it will be free in next 30 days so it's all yours decision if you wan to pay now or use the trial and than get it for free :)
After all the response I think I will stick to the regular way of releasing it. :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

NaviRetlav wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Thanks for all the answers so far.
The main idea was to release the RE at $9 and include the info that it will be free in next 30 days so it's all yours decision if you wan to pay now or use the trial and than get it for free :)
After all the response I think I will stick to the regular way of releasing it. :)
So paid or free?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

01 Sep 2019

I can understand the idea.

A good example is GClip.

The developer GVST/GVXT who has donationware VSTs wanted to offer GClip as a RE. Since there is no donation option in the RE Shop, the best option was to sell it for $9, the lowest price.

So in a similar case, I can understand wanting to offer something for free, but wanting to cover some of the costs of time and resources spent to make it.

To some, saying it will be $9 the first month and free the following month sounds weird, but understand it to mean that those who essentially want to donate can do so by buying it and those who don't can gab it for free after their trial has run out.

I can appreciate wanting to offer something for free and that outside of the RE Shop, freeware/donationware plugins are made possible by the donations that not everybody has to make. It would all be made easier if there were a donation option. Is there anything in the Propellerhead agreement that says you can't offer a RE for free and then accept donations on a separate site? I'm guessing maybe there is...as that could be seen as a sneaky workaround for developers to avoid surrendering a cut of the sales?

Loque

01 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Is there anything in the Propellerhead agreement that says you can't offer a RE for free and then accept donations on a separate site? I'm guessing maybe there is...as that could be seen as a sneaky workaround for developers to avoid surrendering a cut of the sales?
Interresting point...yea, maybe it is forbidden...So some kind of shareware is not possible. Must be written somewhere in the agreements...If someone wants to make it for free and wants a few bucks for the homepage hosting, development software and stuff...A dirty workaround would be "donation" on the homepage for exactly that stuff instead of the RE/product itself.
Reason12, Win10

soroc sosta

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Just sell it. If it’s good, people will buy it.
I agree.

• Information