Reason 11 Suite and external storage

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

This question got lost in the Reason 11 mega-thread, but it's kind of important for those of us running on smaller SSDs and deciding between the standard edition and the rompler-heavy Suite: Does Reason 11 support Rack Extensions on external media?

antic604

30 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
30 Aug 2019
This question got lost in the Reason 11 mega-thread, but it's kind of important for those of us running on smaller SSDs and deciding between the standard edition and the rompler-heavy Suite: Does Reason 11 support Rack Extensions on external media?
No, but why not just use symlinks?

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/

I do this currently for v10.4 and have all the soundbanks and REs on my secondary drive, not the main SSD.

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

Apparently symlinks don't work for REs on MacOS: viewtopic.php?t=7513467
CloudsOfSound wrote:
17 Aug 2019
Yeah, I've got the soundbanks symlinked, and this works flawlessly on macOS as well.
I think that the synchronization of the RE's and the Authorizer.app goes nuts when the REs aren't properly installed on the system drive where it probably does some file-hashing and checksumming stuff to verify the licenses etc.

The soundbanks doesn't require the authenticator app to kick in and verify licenses and stuff, so I guess that's why this works but the REs is a no-no.

antic604

30 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Well, you never said you're on OSX...

fieldframe
RE Developer

30 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
30 Aug 2019
fieldframe wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Well, you never said you're on OSX...
Well sure, I would have mentioned it if I were asking about platform-specific workarounds and not inbuilt features that all the other major vendors with storage-intensive first-party libraries have by now. 😛

CloudsOfSound

01 Sep 2019

I thought I was pretty clear when I said that I'd tried symlinking with no luck, and as far as my OS is concerned, it should be pretty evident from my signature. (Maybe not everyone has signature display enabled, dunno.,..).

BUT, it really boils down to "No, this is not possible".
At least for all macOS users.

Strange and very unpractical from both a storage and performance perspective on many machines. Let's just fill up the system drive with rompler files then...
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

• Information