Is Reason Suite worth it? (Calculator)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
tc13
Posts: 37
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 30 Aug 2019

I found this calculator on reddit, actually quite fun to mess around with :puf_smile: http://stopdelaying.com/reason/sales

The value I got was 540, hmm :cool:


fretshot7
Posts: 300
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 30 Aug 2019

value 131 😂😂

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 2563
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 30 Aug 2019

113 so...nope

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1447
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 30 Aug 2019

349...

Not that I'll be getting it.
Image
Now available, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512836
New tune (Happy House) 'big fat' viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7513201

User avatar
KarmaFunkarma
Posts: 21
Joined: 20 Jul 2018

Post 30 Aug 2019

Really helpful actually. Was a good list to clearly see which devices I do not own (excepting R11 of course). I revisited each of those product pages and judged them with fresh ears. Typically I would have just gone with suite for the $120 difference between it and standard. Now I'm going with Standard because the devices I gain in Suite are things I can already do in VST's I own. Thanks for the link.

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 282
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 30 Aug 2019

228 so no thanks
Tend the flame

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 30 Aug 2019

I think there is quite a lot of filler in there. Reason drums and Bass? Really?

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 30 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Aug 2019
I think there is quite a lot of filler in there. Reason drums and Bass? Really?
To produce drum & bass, clearly.
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
ShelLuser
Posts: 88
Joined: 25 Aug 2019

Post 30 Aug 2019

Nice find!

My value: 60 (bundle price 249). Yah, not gonna happen.

I really start to dislike the somewhat misleading and vague sales model of the Props somewhat. They showcase a rig with RE's but when you buy it you don't get the v2 which was shown. They have rigs, but if you already own several devices then you need to be weary or you might end up purchasing the exact same stuff twice. This is the major reason I only own 2 vs. 3 rigs; the other simply wasn't worth it.

Maybe this is a little too critical (don't get me wrong here) but their sales model really needs some work I think. Because considering the above I honestly cannot (and will not) suggest buying into a rig for example, because of the mentioned risks.

Gee.. could this have hurt their sales? I wonder why....

Important disclaimer...

Yah, that was a mini-rant and even though I meant everything I said I also want to stress out that despite the (IMO) twisted sales model (see above) you can still really get a good value for your money. Just make sure you know what you're getting and compare that to what you already own (the site makes that easy). But for the record: last weekend (time of writing!) I got myself the Mix & Mastering + the Synthetic rigs and I am honestly excited about all the cool stuff I got!. I'm taking my mastering sessions into Reason because of that.

I do question the sales model, I do not question the overall value and quality of all the RE's you get.
--- :reason:
Using the 'Big trio': Ableton Live 10 suite (+ Push), Reason 10 and Max 8.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 31 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
30 Aug 2019
boingy wrote:
30 Aug 2019
I think there is quite a lot of filler in there. Reason drums and Bass? Really?
To produce drum & bass, clearly.
Unfortunately it would be Drum With Bass rather than Drum 'n Bass. You might find yourself being booed off stage by a very confused crowd. Or I suppose you might just have invented a whole new genre.

Those libraries are just OK. They were never worth the price as refills and they are not worth the price as romplers. That's the problem with bundles. You get suckered in with the good stuff and think you are saving a fortune but you would probably never have bought half of the stuff in the bundle. If you look at the constant sales and offers in the RE and the VST world it's pretty clear that original prices are only there so they can be discounted at some point. Those values are not real.

User avatar
vondersulzburg
Posts: 61
Joined: 24 May 2016
Location: Stuttgart

Post 31 Aug 2019

380 value for me. So????
MacBook Air 512GB SSD 16GB RAM, Reason 10, Ableton Live 9 Suite, Live 10 Lite, Bitwig 8-Track, LogicProX, FL-Studio.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1228
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
31 Aug 2019
fieldframe wrote:
30 Aug 2019


To produce drum & bass, clearly.
Unfortunately it would be Drum With Bass rather than Drum 'n Bass. You might find yourself being booed off stage by a very confused crowd. Or I suppose you might just have invented a whole new genre.

Those libraries are just OK. They were never worth the price as refills and they are not worth the price as romplers. That's the problem with bundles. You get suckered in with the good stuff and think you are saving a fortune but you would probably never have bought half of the stuff in the bundle. If you look at the constant sales and offers in the RE and the VST world it's pretty clear that original prices are only there so they can be discounted at some point. Those values are not real.
Reason Drumkits was never worth the price as a refill? sorry man, but I gotta call BS on that. until VSTs made it into Reason, RDK—and later, BFD—were the only game in town for quality, full-featured multisampled kits. excluding some homemade NNXT patches of spotty quality, of course.

it was every bit worth the price, for those of us who needed more realistic drums in Reason.

if you feel a bundle isn’t worth it to you, simply don’t buy it. all this stuff about the unfairness of it all is just noise. for some, the suite really would be a bad purchase, because they’ve already got most of the devices, and would lose money. for some it’s not worth it because the devices aren’t what they need. for others; it is worth it because they want those devices and it saves them some money—maybe a lot of money. all of those scenarios are okay.

there’s a really simple formula...if you want devices in the bundle that would cost you more than $250 normally, and you would have been willing to pay full price for them at some point, it’s a good deal, period.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 31 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2019

Reason Drumkits was never worth the price as a refill? sorry man, but I gotta call BS on that.
At the time they might have been the best multisampled drums you could get in a refill but they certainly were not the best multisampled drums available to you and they were not particularly cheap. They are not bad, they are just OK. Middlin'. And things have moved on big time since then. Repackaging the same kits in an RE does not make them better value. That's why they are just filler in the Suite imo.

To anyone thinking of buying the Suite I would say wait a few months for the inevitable sales. Time and time again we've seen how disadvantageous it is to be an early buyer of these things.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1228
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
31 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2019

Reason Drumkits was never worth the price as a refill? sorry man, but I gotta call BS on that.
At the time they might have been the best multisampled drums you could get in a refill but they certainly were not the best multisampled drums available to you and they were not particularly cheap. They are not bad, they are just OK. Middlin'. And things have moved on big time since then. Repackaging the same kits in an RE does not make them better value. That's why they are just filler in the Suite imo.

To anyone thinking of buying the Suite I would say wait a few months for the inevitable sales. Time and time again we've seen how disadvantageous it is to be an early buyer of these things.
okay, then tell me what multisampled drums I could have used in Reason that were better than RDK, at the time? because clearly, I’ve missed something.

User avatar
boingy
Posts: 670
Joined: 01 Feb 2019

Post 31 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2019
at the time
And that's my point: "At the time".

That was 15 years ago, when Reason was 3 and hard disks were somewhat smaller. Fast forward a decade and a half and you can go from completely Free (DrumMic'a), thru Toontrack and XLN all the way up to the premium BFD3. PH have wrapped the same old samples up in an RE and added it to a bundle. And remember they all but gave it away to anyone who could type RDKSAVE. $20.

But we are getting a bit off topic. :D

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1228
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
31 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2019
at the time
And that's my point: "At the time".

That was 15 years ago, when Reason was 3 and hard disks were somewhat smaller. Fast forward a decade and a half and you can go from completely Free (DrumMic'a), thru Toontrack and XLN all the way up to the premium BFD3. PH have wrapped the same old samples up in an RE and added it to a bundle. And remember they all but gave it away to anyone who could type RDKSAVE. $20.

But we are getting a bit off topic. :D
you said it was never worth the price. to the best of my knowledge, never includes 15 years ago. 🙃

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 755
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 31 Aug 2019

Excluding the upgrade to 11, I landed at $8 bucks, sooo. :? :shock:

And I honestly have no idea what to recommend a VST or RE developer to spend time on. Maybe a Loopcloud meets the www.newsonicarts.com bundle in one smart VST, but then it is very close to Maschine - but yeah, fast to use loop based tool is the next thing probably, the midi tools/players are pretty much good enough unless you wanna do some super AI version and just type in Britney Spears meets Iron Maiden - 135bpm, "<enter>"... :lol:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

RobBarnett
Posts: 26
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

174 for me. Not getting it. 1st time I wont be upgrading. Not even signing up for the beta

stxlm
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 Feb 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

See, I *always* upgrade - every time there's an upgrade, not matter what it includes. I just like to use the latest, most complete version.
And I *always* buy a new Propellerhead RE instrument (Except for the latest bunch of repackaged refills).
Because they're that good, and I have a bad case of Propellerhead FOMA.

The regular upgrade price is €129, right?
And the regular price for a Reason Studios RE is €99.
That's €228.

So, for an extra €21, I (personally) get:

Layers Wave Edition €99
PolyStep Sequencer €69
Processed Pianos €99
Quad Note Generator €69
Reason Drum Kits €99
Reason Electric Bass €99
Umpf Bundle €139

That's a total of €673.

At €21, that's a whopping 96,88% rebate!

It's simply the best deal ever offered since the "pay what you want" (minimum €1) upgrade to Reason 6 for owners of Reason/Record.
And if you don't own half the refills, it's a pretty close race!

User avatar
Lempface
Posts: 115
Joined: 27 Jan 2018

Post 31 Aug 2019

I only have the free Drum Sequencer, so, this is a huge boon for me as well. Others who have most of them are irritated, but I specifically hold off on PH REs because they tend to include them in upgrades and if I don't need em right away, just wait a bit. Admittedly, I've waited a long time for Parsec lol.
Reason 10 | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 12 Ultimate

stxlm
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 Feb 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

Lempface wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Others who have most of them are irritated,
See, I was too, at first. But then I did the math.

If I didn't *want* the included RE:s, it would be pointless. But there's at least two I really want (the players), so it already adds up.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 509
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 31 Aug 2019

Same here. I don't have parsec, polystep, both layers devices, electric bass and processed pianos. It still is worth it for me. Plus I do have an use for the rack plugin. The new device hopefully brings something new to the table and the result is a great deal which I only wish I hadn't bought complex 1 when I did, only for the sake of greater savings but oh well! Can't win 'em all, can you? 🤷‍♂️

stxlm
Posts: 75
Joined: 20 Feb 2015

Post 31 Aug 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Aug 2019
I only wish I hadn't bought complex 1 when I did
They way I see it, it was only "regrettable" if I bought something and didn't use it. Even for Complex-1, my own latest purchase at €50, I've gotten a few months good use out of it.

In comparison, I bought this gorgeous hoodie for €250 a few years ago that I never wear. That irks me a bit. Especially if I would find it on a 97% sale...

Steedus
Posts: 211
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 01 Sep 2019

The suite is the only way the update makes any sense to me ... but then again, it's roughly $370 AUD .. ehhh .. will probably still give it a miss. Unless ofcourse Scenic turns out to be a must have.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests