Channel EQ in Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

28 Aug 2019

Props / @Mattias, since you're still working on this - it isn't present in Beta yet - then PLEASE make it taller and add the frequency spectrum graph that we can nornally access via F2 in SSL. Perhaps it can be hidden via expandable panel like RV7k or Thor? That'd be sweet :)

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Props / @Mattias, since you're still working on this - it isn't present in Beta yet - then PLEASE make it taller and add the frequency spectrum graph that we can nornally access via F2 in SSL. Perhaps it can be hidden via expandable panel like RV7k or Thor? That'd be sweet :)
Would be nice, but more CPU :D

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

do you want it taller to accommodate the spectrum part of your request, or because you feel it could use more room, given how it’s currently laid out?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
do you want it taller to accommodate the spectrum part of your request, or because you feel it could use more room, given how it’s currently laid out?
I meant for the spectrum display. The layout is fine, although I hope they make it much more "sexy" and colorful like the two other new FX devices. Those look like they've put them together half an hour before announcement. Just for example compare the fonts they've used across the three of them - they're all over the place. Or how sidechain signal's status is reported differently ;) :D

Hope those are just placeholders.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

👍🏼 yeah, they definitely look a bit thrown-together

miscend

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

dat purdy 😍

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

Spectrum analyzer should be available from any device. Select a device, press a hotkey, get an analyzer tap on the main output. If a stock EQ device has focus, the parameters can be edited on the display.

This could even extend to dynamics devices. For those, a oscilloscope would appear and show threshold and changes to the waveform.

Push Reason to the top!
Last edited by Timmy Crowne on 28 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

ARAlife

28 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
28 Aug 2019

I hope they do.
Otherwise it would be in my eyes again something that is only half implemented.

Loque

28 Aug 2019

I already suggested it: foldable or switchable panel for the FFT display and edit.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

lots of people have already suggested it. the more people who do suggest it, the better chance it will have to be implemented

antic604

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
dat purdy 😍
I prefer this one, to be honest :)

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

they both look great! skeumorphism isn’t dead—it just could use a facelift (especially in Reason)

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

They look like amateur REs.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

To me they look good (i like everything with screws 😀)

And it was not so long ive read somewhere here on forum(or somewhere else), that eq without display allows you to make dramatic changes to sound without feeling guilty for how much you push up or down the freqencies. This is good addition to eq you have on every mix channel with spectrogram. I think this will be my most (maybe only) used device from all new toys in r11 when i upgrade.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

I thought there was a consensus that skeuomorphism was dead, no!? :shock: So we need a future design on these EQs - future bass, future pop, future house, future EQ ! Dude, follow the WAVES!!! :lol:

There is actually an EQ in there somewhere :o :o :o
Big Butch.gif
Big Butch.gif (237.67 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Loque

28 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I thought there was a consensus that skeuomorphism was dead, no!? :shock: So we need a future design on these EQs - future bass, future pop, future house, future EQ ! Dude, follow the WAVES!!! :lol:

There is actually an EQ in there somewhere :o :o :o

Big Butch.gif
Yea, this frog is good example of a big fail 😂
Reason12, Win10

Yonatan

29 Aug 2019

oh...that frog clockwork looks like something from DaVinci experiments. Guess the one who did it has artistic aspiration, got carried away in a flow and forgot the user friendliness. :)

motuscott

29 Aug 2019

Frog is amazballs!!
I want this guy or gal to redesign the SSL mixer.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Loque

29 Aug 2019

motuscott wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Frog is amazballs!!
I want this guy or gal to redesign the SSL mixer.
Oh. My. God....
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

29 Aug 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Spectrum analyzer should be available from any device. Select a device, press a hotkey, get an analyzer tap on the main output. If a stock EQ device has focus, the parameters can be edited on the display.

This could even extend to dynamics devices. For those, a oscilloscope would appear and show threshold and changes to the waveform.

Push Reason to the top!
That's a good idea! I usually move around stuff like Selig's Gain for gain staging purposes. The ability to call up basic metering/analyzer with a hotkey on the output on every device would be a big workflow improvement, for me, at least.

Loque

29 Aug 2019

Timmy Crowne wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Push Reason to the top!
Wow...interesting idea...I slap in a FabFilter where i really need it and this enables the option to view them in parallel.
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Breach The Sky wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Timmy Crowne wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Push Reason to the top!
That's a good idea! I usually move around stuff like Selig's Gain for gain staging purposes. The ability to call up basic metering/analyzer with a hotkey on the output on every device would be a big workflow improvement, for me, at least.
I think output gain trim should also be embedded in each audio jack, just like the CV jacks. It’s simple multiplication AFAIK so I doubt the CPU hit would be anything more than negligible.

selig
RE Developer

29 Aug 2019

GUI inspiration:
Selig Audio, LLC

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Timmy Crowne wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Push Reason to the top!
Wow...interesting idea...I slap in a FabFilter where i really need it and this enables the option to view them in parallel.
Yes I use Voxengo Span for this purpose. But I have it patched at the master bus, which means I have to solo each instrument to get a clear picture of the sound. The mixer’s analyzer switches really well from channel to channel, but it would be awesome to have a quick spectrum and dynamic analyzer at the press of a button for the specific device. These are the kinds of QOL updates I wish the devs would focus on. But of course: “uSe yOoR EaRss” haha

Those are gorgeous pieces of hardware, selig.

• Information