Scenic Hybrid Instrument - let's speculate :)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
QVprod

20 Sep 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Just checked it out and I might be prejudging but it sounds like running a regular instrument with a pad and lots of fx inside a Combinator — layering, of you will. Not exactly earth shattering enough for me to spend $100 ON TOP OF upgrading. Probably won’t do either. Not impressed.
Unless you're buying Suite. Then it's included in the upgrade. I do think though the Reason only crowd might have been a little happier if this was included in Reason 11 Standard

EnochLight

20 Sep 2019

FiatLux wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Wow, really seems a lot like Straylight by Native Instruments.
Part of what makes Straylight so successful is not just the engine,
but the choice/quality of the included multi-samples that the engine utilizes.
I hope Scenic has a quality set of multi-samples. Think that will make or break it.
Counterpoint: what if the included samples alone are all pretty unremarkable? If the thing that Scenic does is truly taking the included samples and turning them into a preset powerhouse that accomplishes awesome sounds, wouldn't that be just as valuable?

I've listened to the same posted Soundcloud examples, and they sound pretty damn rich and textured to my ears. For all I care, the included samples could all be the same pin drop sound. If the result is what I'm hearing in those presets, then that's pretty telling about Scenic's sound-design potential.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

supersplaron

20 Sep 2019

There's actually a woodpecker sample in there that can make the most majestic sounds.

Deep Schulzz

20 Sep 2019

Just listened to the Soundcloud examples they released today.
For me they do not sound impressive at all. I like to be taught a better one when SCENIC comes out.

Breach The Sky

20 Sep 2019

The demos sound great, to me, at least. Cinematic, unsurprisingly. right up my ally!

I'm not sure how different it is from Grain, tough. I know it's multi-sample, but other than that? Perhaps the effects are something "out off the ordinary"? Or maybe the grain section is different/ newish?

ModSource

20 Sep 2019

supersplaron wrote:
20 Sep 2019
There's actually a woodpecker sample in there that can make the most majestic sounds.
It’s nice to have someone from Reason Studios posting here. Thank you.

Is the sample collection entirely new, or is it taken from a previous product? Were the samples created in house, or was the collection outsourced?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Well I think it's nice that someone has finally found a use for General Midi sound #126.
:lol:

Someone's been samplin' their old Sound Canvas.

reddust

20 Sep 2019

I would like to see more to judge this Scenic, listening to a couple of tracks in Soundcloud doesn't say much to me as I don't really know what the instrument is actually doing. Is it just a bunch of samples put together and the same effects we already know from a thousand of extensions and VSTs just put together in a new user interface? Or does this extension do something special to justify its price?

For now there is too little info and what I read isn't really telling me anything special. My first impression is that this is like what other developers do, trying to sell us a bunch of samples with some effect controls on a UI as if these were instruments, nothing you can't actually do by yourself using a sampler like NNXT and adding your desired effects on the chain.

IFR

20 Sep 2019

Well, we will know in less than a week, then we can put this to sleep.

tc13

20 Sep 2019

reddust wrote:
20 Sep 2019
For now there is too little info and what I read isn't really telling me anything special. My first impression is that this is like what other developers do, trying to sell us a bunch of samples with some effect controls on a UI as if these were instruments, nothing you can't actually do by yourself using a sampler like NNXT and adding your desired effects on the chain.
So much that can be done with workarounds, but isn't this the same argument that gets shot down regarding what you can do in the sequencer? A faster workflow is wanted, so what is wrong if a new instrument brings you an easier and quicker way to work, even if it is possible to achive the same things with NNXT and a couple of effects?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Hmm not sure what to make of this. Not super convincing demos imo. Some sounded alright, others were pretty dull and messy imo. Could also just be the way they were written and mixed.
Some sounds just sounded like a normal piano with some effects behind them. Like processed pianos?
I guess I'll have to try it out.

manisnotabird

20 Sep 2019

kinda seems like two Grains in a combinator, except you can’t load sounds.

bxbrkrz

20 Sep 2019

supersplaron wrote:
20 Sep 2019
How big are the woodpecker samples and everything else in total on the HD?
Suite sounds sweet to me.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

MarkTarlton

20 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
20 Sep 2019
I do think though the Reason only crowd might have been a little happier if this was included in Reason 11 Standard
yes!

I also was hoping for wav import/sampling+edit...still don't know if there is audio in for effects?

gullum

20 Sep 2019

tc13 wrote:
20 Sep 2019
So much that can be done with workarounds, but isn't this the same argument that gets shot down regarding what you can do in the sequencer? A faster workflow is wanted, so what is wrong if a new instrument brings you an easier and quicker way to work, even if it is possible to achive the same things with NNXT and a couple of effects?
NNXT is not limetet to 100+ multisamples :D

thedjjudah

20 Sep 2019

tc13 wrote:
20 Sep 2019
reddust wrote:
20 Sep 2019
For now, there is too little info and what I read isn't really telling me anything special. My first impression is that this is like what other developers do, trying to sell us a bunch of samples with some effect controls on a UI as if these were instruments, nothing you can't actually do by yourself using a sampler like NNXT and adding your desired effects on the chain.
So much that can be done with workarounds, but isn't this the same argument that gets shot down regarding what you can do in the sequencer? A faster workflow is wanted, so what is wrong if a new instrument brings you an easier and quicker way to work, even if it is possible to achieve the same things with NNXT and a couple of effects?
Workarounds are good because they actually teach you something and make you a better producer. So many people, myself included, get lazy and try to look for the newest instrument or whatever. All this does is create producers that are limited and all sound the same because they don't know how to make unique sounds. In the UK hardcore scene, the old top-tier DJs are calling it quits and, while I love the scene, all the new blood kinda turns me off because they all are using the same presets and samples.

Iggster

21 Sep 2019

If we can’t import our own samples, please make sure we at least have audio in! Your latest stock plugins (Europa, Grain, etc) allow so I don’t think this is too much to ask esp when your asking for $99 for what is essentially just over 100 samples with a few FX added!

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Sep 2019

Iggster wrote:
21 Sep 2019
If we can’t import our own samples, please make sure we at least have audio in! Your latest stock plugins (Europa, Grain, etc) allow so I don’t think this is too much to ask esp when your asking for $99 for what is essentially just over 100 samples with a few FX added!
I’m not sure I really understand why you would want sample import on a rompler. If you want to import samples, do granular synthesis, and run them through a built-in effects chain, you don’t need to spend $99... you already have Grain. Maybe Scenic has some unique effects, but if so, this would be a selling point that wasn’t called out in the promotional piece.

soroc sosta

21 Sep 2019

reddust wrote:
20 Sep 2019
I would like to see more to judge this Scenic, listening to a couple of tracks in Soundcloud doesn't say much to me as I don't really know what the instrument is actually doing...
THIS! These are amazing arrangements but what sounds are we supposed to be listening for.
Can these arrangements be composed by Scenic alone? That would be pretty amazing.

antic604

21 Sep 2019

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
21 Sep 2019
reddust wrote:
20 Sep 2019
I would like to see more to judge this Scenic, listening to a couple of tracks in Soundcloud doesn't say much to me as I don't really know what the instrument is actually doing...
THIS! These are amazing arrangements but what sounds are we supposed to be listening for.
Can these arrangements be composed by Scenic alone? That would be pretty amazing.
They said there will be video(s), I'm sure before or on the launch date 25/9.

platzangst

23 Sep 2019

In a way it puts me in mind of the Malstrom - two sound sources, factory-only sounds, can be processed in various ways...

reddust

23 Sep 2019

thedjjudah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
tc13 wrote:
20 Sep 2019

So much that can be done with workarounds, but isn't this the same argument that gets shot down regarding what you can do in the sequencer? A faster workflow is wanted, so what is wrong if a new instrument brings you an easier and quicker way to work, even if it is possible to achieve the same things with NNXT and a couple of effects?
Workarounds are good because they actually teach you something and make you a better producer. So many people, myself included, get lazy and try to look for the newest instrument or whatever. All this does is create producers that are limited and all sound the same because they don't know how to make unique sounds. In the UK hardcore scene, the old top-tier DJs are calling it quits and, while I love the scene, all the new blood kinda turns me off because they all are using the same presets and samples.
Exactly this. I can understand a faster workflow is often useful and welcome, even when I think people shouldn't be making music like they are in a hurry or something. For me personally a sample based instrument has to offer something very special and shouldn't be abused to avoid music creations from sounding too homogenous and at the end also boring. And this Scenic RE doesn't seem or sound special to me.

guitfnky

23 Sep 2019

thedjjudah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
this is 1000% wrong.

workarounds don't make you a better producer. workarounds can help you learn the software, but that has nothing--literally nothing--to do with the quality of material you're producing. you're talking about tools. production is an art form that's concerned with the end result, not about the tools used to get there. you're conflating the two. it's like saying a builder shouldn't use a nailgun because he could just use a hammer. using a nailgun just makes you lazy and just like every other builder.

the idea that having robust workflow tools and instruments limits you and "creates producers that...all sound the same" is false. period. if you're prone to using presets, and don't bother to craft them into something unique, specific to the song you're working on, that's on you as a producer, and you're going to make the same kinds of uninteresting decisions regardless of whether you're using new tools, or old.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

23 Sep 2019

Sound really good to me. But probably is not that enticing if you own a lot of NI stuff or Omnisphere.

Faastwalker

23 Sep 2019

Sounds decent. Interface clearly designed to be ultra simple with the edit button offering more tinkering possibilities. Not sure it's going to set the World on fire. But looks pretty good to me. I'm concerned with the talk about what is under the hood & old stuff being re-packaged. But at the end of the day if it sounds good, works for you & is nice to work with then will it matter? It's not all about the sounds. How it works & what it's like in use make up a big part of the story. Besides, everyone likes new (sic) stuff :-/

• Information