Scenic Hybrid Instrument - let's speculate :)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

23 Sep 2019

The blog post showed that scenic has samples that either play traditionally or have a granular option

But what I’m confused about is the concept about sample loading

If this is suppose to be a bigger synth release from the props, why didn’t they add sample loading? Isn’t it clear that user samples seems to be a fan favorite/industry standard?

Also, i assume the picture that’s shown. The one with the sample start portion knob has more to it when the granular mode is on?

I’m hoping this synth is as special as grain malström and Europa!

The mod matrix looks amazingly deep, so at least there is a lot of room for movement

One other thing I’m wondering about, i understand that sample playback and granular synthesis are two different forms of sound design. However, if it’s marketed as a hybrid synth: they should have added other forms of synthesis. And from there, they could later on be more prepared for making a Thor 2.0 :) haha

Idk, I just feel like they should know that most people wouldn’t mind putting their thousands of samples to more use.

Most sample packs have clutter, stuff that you don’t really care for. However it’s the samples you aren’t usually drawn to that end up as a good wavetable, single cycle waveform, or granular source

I wish they would get on board with having their oscillators have as much freedom as the back of the rack does :)
All this being said, I sure hope the samples included are dank as can be

I’m excited to pick it up on the 25th, just to see what the mod matrix source “age” is
Or to see what a pulse generator is. I’m assuming it’s a step sequencer

Can’t wait to see what the synth actually does, this is just some pre release questions comments and concerns of mine :) that’s all
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

apoc123
RE Developer

24 Sep 2019

I think it looks beautiful and I am very interested in testing the sounds inside! It seems to have atleast 7 pages of editing......#tweakability I also like the fact that Reason is now slowly headed toward a more modern look!

way2cool

24 Sep 2019

small issue is I buy normal reason 10 now I can not be allowed to have scenic, only way to afford is working manny extra time in my grandfather farm and, make many more colon in the metro as call center worker, one small issue I do not have car just my bicycle or maybe its so far to do that is 41 km to there which mean I’m maybe always will get late to work on a bicycle ha!! I decide to buy scenic with money I make on my presets and refulls rather, to lazy for bicycle to the metro hahaha

reddust

24 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
23 Sep 2019
thedjjudah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Workarounds are good because they actually teach you something and make you a better producer. So many people, myself included, get lazy and try to look for the newest instrument or whatever. All this does is create producers that are limited and all sound the same because they don't know how to make unique sounds. In the UK hardcore scene, the old top-tier DJs are calling it quits and, while I love the scene, all the new blood kinda turns me off because they all are using the same presets and samples.
this is 1000% wrong.

workarounds don't make you a better producer. workarounds can help you learn the software, but that has nothing--literally nothing--to do with the quality of material you're producing. you're talking about tools. production is an art form that's concerned with the end result, not about the tools used to get there. you're conflating the two. it's like saying a builder shouldn't use a nailgun because he could just use a hammer. using a nailgun just makes you lazy and just like every other builder.

the idea that having robust workflow tools and instruments limits you and "creates producers that...all sound the same" is false. period. if you're prone to using presets, and don't bother to craft them into something unique, specific to the song you're working on, that's on you as a producer, and you're going to make the same kinds of uninteresting decisions regardless of whether you're using new tools, or old.
Well, it's not like your message doesn't have some truth in it, but I think it's a different thing. Knowing the tools doesn't make you automatically a good producer, that's right, but not knowing them either and most surely is going to limit your talent as a producer if you have some.

So knowing the tools and workarounds is very important in order to be a good producer, the same as a musician should know something about the instruments he plays.

guitfnky

24 Sep 2019

reddust wrote:
24 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
23 Sep 2019

this is 1000% wrong.

workarounds don't make you a better producer. workarounds can help you learn the software, but that has nothing--literally nothing--to do with the quality of material you're producing. you're talking about tools. production is an art form that's concerned with the end result, not about the tools used to get there. you're conflating the two. it's like saying a builder shouldn't use a nailgun because he could just use a hammer. using a nailgun just makes you lazy and just like every other builder.

the idea that having robust workflow tools and instruments limits you and "creates producers that...all sound the same" is false. period. if you're prone to using presets, and don't bother to craft them into something unique, specific to the song you're working on, that's on you as a producer, and you're going to make the same kinds of uninteresting decisions regardless of whether you're using new tools, or old.
Well, it's not like your message doesn't have some truth in it, but I think it's a different thing. Knowing the tools doesn't make you automatically a good producer, that's right, but not knowing them either and most surely is going to limit your talent as a producer if you have some.

So knowing the tools and workarounds is very important in order to be a good producer, the same as a musician should know something about the instruments he plays.
I agree with you in principle, but what I’m saying is that whether or not you’re a good producer has nothing to do with what tools you have. if you’re a good producer, and you have a ton of incredible tools at your disposal, you’re going to learn how to use them because you’re a good producer.

to put it differently, tools don’t determine whether you’ll become a good producer; the producer determines whether they’ll become good at using their tools.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Fred bladder

24 Sep 2019

Less than 24hours till Reason 11 drops and still no videos showing what scenic is about.
This is really bad business practise,for some out there scenic could be the difference between the standard and suite upgrade...what the hell are they hiding? is it ready for release?is it just some crappy rompler? lot of questions here and it's putting me of upgrading for now.

antic604

24 Sep 2019

Fred bladder wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Less than 24hours till Reason 11 drops and still no videos showing what scenic is about.This is really bad business practise,for some out there scenic could be the difference between the standard and suite upgrade...what the hell are they hiding? is it ready for release?is it just some crappy rompler? lot of questions here and it's putting me of upgrading for now.
Nothing. It's simply not ready yet. It only got new UI few days ago ;) :D

Fred bladder

24 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Fred bladder wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Less than 24hours till Reason 11 drops and still no videos showing what scenic is about.This is really bad business practise,for some out there scenic could be the difference between the standard and suite upgrade...what the hell are they hiding? is it ready for release?is it just some crappy rompler? lot of questions here and it's putting me of upgrading for now.
Nothing. It's simply not ready yet. It only got new UI few days ago ;) :D
So it was never intended for release on the 25th....my mistake then..

reddust

24 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
24 Sep 2019
reddust wrote:
24 Sep 2019

I agree with you in principle, but what I’m saying is that whether or not you’re a good producer has nothing to do with what tools you have. if you’re a good producer, and you have a ton of incredible tools at your disposal, you’re going to learn how to use them because you’re a good producer.

to put it differently, tools don’t determine whether you’ll become a good producer; the producer determines whether they’ll become good at using their tools.
Totally agree, I guess this discussion started partly because good producers aren't the rule and most people - me included - tend to get a little bit lazy and want to get results quick and without too much effort, this has its own translation these days as instruments like this are more common and this change is noticeable in modern music. But I think I'm going too off topic here. I'll be quiet, I promise :)

guitfnky

24 Sep 2019

reddust wrote:
24 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Totally agree, I guess this discussion started partly because good producers aren't the rule and most people - me included - tend to get a little bit lazy and want to get results quick and without too much effort, this has its own translation these days as instruments like this are more common and this change is noticeable in modern music. But I think I'm going too off topic here. I'll be quiet, I promise :)
no need to be quiet—this is a discussion forum after all! that’s just the natural ebb and flow of conversation. 😃
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

dhruan

25 Sep 2019

...aaaaand it's out! > https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nstrument/

Note:
*sample loading is coming shortly in a free update.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Yonatan

25 Sep 2019

Not home yet in x amount of hours. Anyone like to share their impression of what it is in practice? :)

• Information