New Player Idea...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BRIGGS

24 Jul 2019

How about a regroove channel player that's somehow connected to the regroove mixer? Maybe we could select channels from a drop down?

I'm not sure it's possible, but the idea ran across my mind while using polystep.

Thoughts? :puf_smile:
r11s

mon

24 Jul 2019

I don’t know if there is possibility for the RE to interface with the regroove mixer but the idea is brilliant. If it is not possible, the workaround would be the developers to create their own banks of grooves inside the player.
It definitely has a lot of potential!
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

BRIGGS

24 Jul 2019

mon wrote:
24 Jul 2019
I don’t know if there is possibility for the RE to interface with the regroove mixer but the idea is brilliant. If it is not possible, the workaround would be the developers to create their own banks of grooves inside the player.
It definitely has a lot of potential!
Awesome! Whatever works! I just want to Regroove my stuff without printing to midi clips!
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jul 2019

I wish it was available for all players.

BRIGGS

24 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Jul 2019
I wish it was available for all players.
Me too! :puf_smile:
r11s

selig
RE Developer

25 Jul 2019

Not sure this is even logically possible:
The problem comes with notes that should appear SOONER than played, which is not possible in real time. For this to work, you'd have to know the placement of all notes BEFORE playing the file (as the sequencer/re-grove mixer does). Alternatively, you'd have to delay everything by the largest possible amount a note would be moved to fit the groove and you can't know that amount until you know what was played.
Adding a ton of look ahead would make the Player impossible to "play" live (or run live audio through it), or to use for anything except already recorded notes, in which case it wouldn't need the look ahead since the note's placement would already be known (as is the case for the existing groove mixer). Classic Catch 22!

Simple example - say you want to run the drum Player through this hypothetical groove player, and say you want to "push" the snares so they hit sooner than played. How do you cause the snare to come out of the groove Player BEFORE it's even arrived at the input?
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

25 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
25 Jul 2019
The problem comes with notes that should appear SOONER than played, which is not possible in real time. For this to work, you'd have to know the placement of all notes BEFORE playing the file (as the sequencer/re-grove mixer does). Alternatively, you'd have to delay everything by the largest possible amount a note would be moved to fit the groove and you can't know that amount until you know what was played.
Adding a ton of look ahead would make the Player impossible to "play" live (or run live audio through it), or to use for anything except already recorded notes, in which case it wouldn't need the look ahead since the note's placement would already be known (as is the case for the existing groove mixer). Classic Catch 22!

Simple example - say you want to run the drum Player through this hypothetical groove player, and say you want to "push" the snares so they hit sooner than played. How do you cause the snare to come out of the groove Player BEFORE it's even arrived at the input?
I thought you could nudge things before and after in drum sequencer. Since that is possible, my request instead is that shuffle values to be equal between players and the regroove mixer, which I don't know if they are or not. So my question is: are players with shuffle settings using the same system as the regroove mixer? Say I set a value of 57 on regroove on an instrument, and 57 on a player, will they groove exactly the same way?

tiker01

25 Jul 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Jul 2019
selig wrote:
25 Jul 2019

I thought you could nudge things before and after in drum sequencer. Since that is possible, my request instead is that shuffle values to be equal between players and the regroove mixer, which I don't know if they are or not. So my question is: are players with shuffle settings using the same system as the regroove mixer? Say I set a value of 57 on regroove on an instrument, and 57 on a player, will they groove exactly the same way?
AFAIK they should. BTW it is relatively easy to test with commit to groove and send to track.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

BRIGGS

25 Jul 2019

selig wrote:
25 Jul 2019

I loled! :lol:

I want to apply Regroove settings to preexisting Polystep patterns...As Polystep can already nudge notes.

Sliding notes around is good fun and adds a lot to the feel of a pattern, as you may already know. :puf_smile:

IIRC Not sure if this would work with the Drum Sequencer as the whole note lane sildes, not just individual notes.
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

25 Jul 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
25 Jul 2019
I want to apply Regroove settings to preexisting Polystep patterns...As Polystep can already nudge notes.

Sliding notes around is good fun and adds a lot to the feel of a pattern, as you may already know. :puf_smile:

IIRC Not sure if this would work with the Drum Sequencer as the whole note lane sildes, not just individual notes.
Well, then the Regroove function would have to be integrated as part of Polystep itself, you wouldn't be able to do it in a separate Player. Because a Player has no idea whether the notes it processes are prerecorded or played live, it just receives them as they are being played back.

BRIGGS

26 Jul 2019

buddard wrote:
25 Jul 2019
BRIGGS wrote:
25 Jul 2019

Well, then the Regroove function would have to be integrated as part of Polystep itself, you wouldn't be able to do it in a separate Player. Because a Player has no idea whether the notes it processes are prerecorded or played live, it just receives them as they are being played back.
Yeah, that seems to be the case! Nudging notes manually works fine for now! : )
r11s

Catblack

26 Jul 2019

I had the thought of merging regroove to Delta, as a module, but then one can also just record the midi and apply regroove from there. Though a Delta module that could independently load a regroove file would be amazing.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

BRIGGS

27 Jul 2019

Catblack wrote:
26 Jul 2019
I had the thought of merging regroove to Delta, as a module, but then one can also just record the midi and apply regroove from there. Though a Delta module that could independently load a regroove file would be amazing.
Delta seems incredibly useful :thumbs_up:
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

28 Jul 2019

No RE will be able to load grooves separately from files. You'd have to resort to either presets, manual editing, or the third option that I've been thinking about before (that was being considered for Step/Sequences): Recording the groove.

It involves a certain amount of "hands-on" by the user, since they have to record/draw straight 16th notes or similar in the main sequencer, apply Regroove and then play it back into the RE which then records it. Because of this hassle it's probably simpler to send the notes to track and apply Regroove there instead, so that's why I never implemented this.

But maybe someone else can come up with a more user friendly solution?

Sterioevo

28 Jul 2019

Well what if it was dynamic, ie in a constant state of record?

buddard
RE Developer

28 Jul 2019

Sterioevo wrote:
28 Jul 2019
Well what if it was dynamic, ie in a constant state of record?
Well, that's sort of what we did in Sequences with the "Stepped mode", i e each time it receives a note on message it will advance one step. So you could record straight 16th notes with Regroove in the main sequencer, and Sequences will follow that groove.

• Information