JP Villanelle Wah...help.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

Bought the JP Wah...been in the forest all night but couldn't stop myself loading it up when I got home just now. Put it on an audio track...selected Villanelle in the rack, clicked the green speaker icon on the audio track in the sequencer and played my guitar through it. Awesome...beats the Kuassa in all categories.
Now to the hard bit... When I connect it to an instrument, say Radical Keys, I can control the wah amount using my mouse on the wah button. How though do I get it so I can use my mod wheel to control and hear the sound of the instrument as well? I select Villanelle in the rack, click on the mod wheel button and my mod wheel works fine to control the wah...but no sound. Obviously there's no green speaker icon to press as it's not an audio track.Do I need a combinator? What am I doing wrong? Thanks if you can help...I looked in the manual but I'm really tired :).
Oddly enough it works with Octorex.

EDIT: Please ignore this post...I read the manual again. I did need a combinator. I just needed to untick the mod wheel box for the instrument and click the mod wheel box for Villanelle in the programmer. I must be really tired...now bed. G'night.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2019
Bought the JP Wah...been in the forest all night but couldn't stop myself loading it up when I got home just now. Put it on an audio track...selected Villanelle in the rack, clicked the green speaker icon on the audio track in the sequencer and played my guitar through it. Awesome...beats the Kuassa in all categories.
Now to the hard bit... When I connect it to an instrument, say Radical Keys, I can control the wah amount using my mouse on the wah button. How though do I get it so I can use my mod wheel to control and hear the sound of the instrument as well? I select Villanelle in the rack, click on the mod wheel button and my mod wheel works fine to control the wah...but no sound. Obviously there's no green speaker icon to press as it's not an audio track.Do I need a combinator? What am I doing wrong? Thanks if you can help...I looked in the manual but I'm really tired :).

EDIT: Please ignore this post...I read the manual again. I did need a combinator. I just needed to untick the mod wheel box for the instrument and click the mod wheel box for Villanelle in the programmer. I must be really tired...now bed. G'night.
Glad you like it!

I don't think I mentioned this in the manual but if using an Instrument Combinator but you still need the mod wheel (e.g., for tremolo on an instrument), you could always route expression pedal to the Wah instead, which would be prefererable for guitar anyway. Perhaps I should add native support for expression anyway? I was planning a small update for the autumn, perhaps I'll have a gander...

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2019

Glad you like it!

I don't think I mentioned this in the manual but if using an Instrument Combinator but you still need the mod wheel (e.g., for tremolo on an instrument), you could always route expression pedal to the Wah instead, which would be prefererable for guitar anyway. Perhaps I should add native support for expression anyway? I was planning a small update for the autumn, perhaps I'll have a gander...
Yeah...I really do like it.
Being able to use an expression pedal would be great but unfortunately I bought an M-Audio pedal which is stereo (TRS as are most) but stupid Line 6 controllers only work with mono (TS). Why I ask myself...to sell more of their own pedals of course. Anyway...I just ordered a TRS to TS adapter so we'll see if that works. I think I read somewhere that the pedal will still need some further mod.
Great RE in any case :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2019

stereo (TRS as are most) / mono (TS).
Wait, what? That's entirely new info to me!

(Runs off to check his Roland EV-5... hmmm ... "TRS". Yeah, it's a stereo jack).

Honestly, I'd have thought they were all mono! What's the difference? I mean, maybe this is a really dumb question: why would an expression pedal need a stereo jack?

edit
https://missionengineering.com/understa ... on-pedals/

Interesting. that article also probably explains why the EV-5 is a bit crap too, mine goes dead towards the low end of the range :/
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 20 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2019

stereo (TRS as are most) / mono (TS).

(Runs off to check his Roland EV-5... hmmm ... "TRS". Yeah, it's a stereo jack).

Honestly, I'd have thought they were all mono! What's the difference? I mean, maybe this is a really dumb question: why would an expression pedal need a stereo jack?
Yeah...that's what I thought too. Bought an M-Audio EX-1. Plugged it into my Line 6 KB37 (the pedal has a built in cable with a TRS jack). The pedal has also got a polarity switch and a trim pot so it should work with everything. The best I could get out of it was control from 12 o'clock position to 4 o'clock position on any knob I assigned. Googled...many with the same problem. Mods and soldering and all sorts of crap. Wrote to Line 6...yeah "our products only support mono TS...buy our pedal instead for like 80 euros. Total chancers...hate Line 6.Seriously.

Thought about buying a new midi-controller. Trying to find one with an EXP input...very difficult. Even M-Audio themselves don't have any. Footswitch yeah but that's only on and off.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2019
JiggeryPokery wrote:
20 Jul 2019

Yeah...that's what I thought too. Bought an M-Audio EX-1. Plugged it into my Line 6 KB37 (the pedal has a built in cable with a TRS jack). The pedal has also got a polarity switch and a trim pot so it should work with everything. The best I could get out of it was control from 12 o'clock position to 4 o'clock position on any knob I assigned. Googled...many with the same problem. Mods and soldering and all sorts of crap. Wrote to Line 6...yeah "our products only support mono TS...buy our pedal instead for like 80 euros. Total chancers...hate Line 6.Seriously.
Standards! Who'd use 'em, eh?

littlejam

20 Jul 2019

hello,

nektar impact 88+ has a 1/4" expression input (ts)
nektar sells an expression pedal for like 20$, but it's (trs)
weird

i recently started getting back into guitar
which is why this thread caught my attention
i am starting to learn how to run the guitar into reason /fx
so i don't have to spend money on pedals

i did not check if the other keyboards in the impact series have expression pedal input

jcheers
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

littlejam wrote:
20 Jul 2019
hello,

nektar impact 88+ has a 1/4" expression input (ts)
nektar sells an expression pedal for like 20$, but it's (trs)
weird

i recently started getting back into guitar
which is why this thread caught my attention
i am starting to learn how to run the guitar into reason /fx
so i don't have to spend money on pedals

i did not check if the other keyboards in the impact series have expression pedal input

jcheers
Yeah. I dont get it.
Guitar in Reason is awesome. I was so happy when Record came out and then got integrated. There’s just so much you can do with fx...this morning I had Chenille, Steerpike (backwards delay), a Kuassa fuzz, Psyclone and Villanelle on my guitar and was in psych/Funkadelic heaven.
Fritz is amazing on guitar too. Happy, happy days :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

littlejam

20 Jul 2019

hello,

i thought you said you were looking for a controller with an expression input

jcheers

i can't wait to get more effect chains built for the guitar
thanks for the ideas
littlejamaicastudios
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

littlejam wrote:
20 Jul 2019
hello,

i thought you said you were looking for a controller with an expression input

jcheers

i can't wait to get more effect chains built for the guitar
thanks for the ideas
I did. I’ve got a Line 6 controller already but it only works with TS. Nearly all expression pedals are TRS which won’t work. The Line 6 exp pedal is mono TS so that will work but it’s too expensive. The controller you mentioned is TS input so figure that won’t work either with a TRS pedal.
In addition there are very few controllers which have Expression inputs. I just don’t understand it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

20 Jul 2019

i have a strat hanging around . I think i remember recording an amped guitar through reason a year back but i have a crappy sm58 which i couldn't get a great soud out of .
My question is do i need a Di box to record it staright in ? I have a standard focusrite 2i4. Do yu guys use a di?

littlejam

20 Jul 2019

hello @MrFigg,

could you post what line 6 controller you have
i'm new and dazed and confused with this hardware stuff
i would like to understand before i start trying to get something
i'm looking at the line 6 website now

jcheers
littlejamaicastudios

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2019

I don’t use a di. I go directly into Balance. Works great. I know sometimes guitars can pick up interference from dimmers and stuff so a di might be a good idea in that case. I’ve got P90 pickups and when I’m only using the neck or the bridge I get a buzz but when both are active it works no problem.

I’ve got a KB37 audio interface but use it only as a midi-controller. I’d advise against Line 6 but everyone is different I guess.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

boingy

20 Jul 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
20 Jul 2019
i have a strat hanging around . I think i remember recording an amped guitar through reason a year back but i have a crappy sm58 which i couldn't get a great soud out of .
My question is do i need a Di box to record it staright in ? I have a standard focusrite 2i4. Do yu guys use a di?
No other equipment necessary. Just plug your normal guitar lead into the Focusrite, set the Focusrite switch to instrument, setup audio track in Reason, add the FX of you choice and let rip. The quality you can get really is astonishing. The really great thing is that if you record the guitar raw you can change the amp/cab/fx later! Although, be aware that this can be a double-edged sword because it's one more thing to fiddle with instead of just getting on with the song.

Obviously if you are a rock god and used to harnessing feedback and stuff you'll need to play through a real amp and mic it up but apart from that everything can be done "in the box" and with insignificant latency. :thumbs_up:

zumBeispiel

20 Jul 2019

I use Logidy UMI3.
It's become my mini multifx pedalboard in Reason: 3 midi switches and an EXP pedal input (TRS) with Roland EV-5.
2 switches for +/- changing guitar FX presets as Reason Combinators and the third switch to start Reason play/record.
The expression pedal is used for wah or mostly volume.
Logidy UMI3 is also perfect for the NI GuitarRigPro Looper when just playing without Reason.
In the past I used the line6 Express MKII, it was almost the same.
Focusrite as audio.

boingy

20 Jul 2019

I can't vouch for it but I've been pondering the Line6 FBV Express MkII. USB powered, 4 footswitches plus a Wah/Expression pedal all customisable with a free software app.

zumBeispiel

20 Jul 2019

It's robust, ideal on stage with big black shoes.
The UMI3 is tender, best at home with barefoot or socks only ;)

Reasonable man

20 Jul 2019

Cheers for the replies .

Loque

21 Jul 2019

Ok. Maybe i missed something. Am i too stupid too record the MW directly for Vilanelle? I seen the MW moving but nothing is recording. It works in the Combinator as expected. What am i doing wrong?
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Ok. Maybe i missed something. Am i too stupid too record the MW directly for Vilanelle? I seen the MW moving but nothing is recording. It works in the Combinator as expected. What am i doing wrong?
Select Villanelle in the rack. It shows up in the sequencer. Press + to create note lane. Enable mod wheel on Villanelle. Record :)
Had same trouble yesterday ha ha
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

21 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Loque wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Select Villanelle in the rack. It shows up in the sequencer. Press + to create note lane. Enable mod wheel on Villanelle. Record :)
Yea, it really "needs" a note lane. Just a track is not enough. Thanks.

And btw, this thing sounds great. Was struggling to buy a simple wah. Bought it.

Same for the rotary... i was struggling, added the standard patch, listened, bought.

Great stuff.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2019

And btw, this thing sounds great. Was struggling to buy a simple wah. Bought it.

Same for the rotary... i was struggling, added the standard patch, listened, bought.

Great stuff.
Steerpike backwards delays...awesome.
Just been playing guitar through Chenille, Animus, Steerpike then Psyclone. Absolutely brilliant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

21 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2019
Loque wrote:
21 Jul 2019

Great stuff.
Just been playing guitar through Chenille, Animus, Steerpike then Psyclone. Absolutely brilliant.
Yea, i just wish i had a guitar and could play it. But sounds awsome with (guitar) synths too. I was just looking for a Animus that fits without too much high hiss - did not found something pleasant yet, but decent reverbs and great IR that i _really_ like are hard to find :-D
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Jul 2019
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jul 2019

Yea, i just wish i had a guitar and could play it. But sounds awsome with (guitar) synths too. I was just looking for a Animus that fits without too much high hiss - did not found something pleasant yet, but decent reverbs and great IR that i _really_ like are hard to find :-D
Turn up the shimmer and turn down the wet.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information