Sale on Jiggery Pokery effects in shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
Loque
Posts: 5643
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 31 Jul 2019

boingy wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Loque wrote:
31 Jul 2019
Yes, and another one needs 3 trials, the next 4 and so on...And than we need the option to trial forever, switchable between random noise and cannot-save-patch option... Did i forgot anything?
Of course there will always be folks who want infinite trials without restrictions but I think most want to "have a quick go" with anything new and then have the ability to trial it in depth at a later date. Mr Figg is a prime example of that. Maybe any new stuff should reset the trial after the first week or so.
Sounds interesting...as a compromise, after a update another week to try would be interesting to check out any new features.
:reason: 10, Win10 64Bit.

EdGrip
Posts: 1469
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 31 Jul 2019

A good example is CableGuys' TimeShaper - the trial has been on my computer for ages now. You can't recall saved parameters and you can't have more than one instance on the go. There's enough freedom there that I use it quite a lot to mess up samples and experiment - but when it comes to saving a project, I have to bounce anything I'm really enjoying from TimeShaper. It's restrictive enough that I will end up buying it at some point soon - and not just because of the restrictions, but because it's already given me enough inspiration that I feel strong goodwill towards the company.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2395
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 31 Jul 2019

EdGrip wrote:
31 Jul 2019
A good example is CableGuys' TimeShaper - the trial has been on my computer for ages now. You can't recall saved parameters and you can't have more than one instance on the go. There's enough freedom there that I use it quite a lot to mess up samples and experiment - but when it comes to saving a project, I have to bounce anything I'm really enjoying from TimeShaper. It's restrictive enough that I will end up buying it at some point soon - and not just because of the restrictions, but because it's already given me enough inspiration that I feel strong goodwill towards the company.
I guess that depends how long the ages are and if you’re indeed finally going to buy the plugin... At the moment it seems that the trial is mainly working well for you... The developer not so much right now...
;)

D.

EdGrip
Posts: 1469
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 31 Jul 2019

I suppose the question is, does the dev see more overall sales from this system (or similar ones such as missing notes in VSTis, or periodic noise in effects), than from the "Fully functional 30-day trial" model. Only the devs know the answer - but they must feel comfortable enough with its efficacy that they've gone with this model over any other.
I imagine that from their point of view, the key is simply to get their software into regular use. Get users in the habit of reaching for your thing when they want to do X. Once you've got that habit formed, you need to make the software just restrictive enough that regular users will eventually give in and buy it - but not so restrictive that they never open it and it doesn't come into regular and habitual use.

I tend to skip things that offer a 30-day fully-functional trial. I don't like to be trialling against the clock - especially when other stuff comes up (this is only a hobby) - a few weeks' work away from home, for instance. This is compounded in Reason with the fact that having trial items in your rack means you get an additional dialogue when you start Reason. Tiny, but annoying.
So generally speaking, if there's a time-limited trial, I won't trial it - I'll just buy it, or not. Usually I'll watch as many product videos as I feel I need to, and read up on it.

Edit: I sometimes get the very-restricted-but-functional demo of Cytomic's The Drop out to play with. But there will never be a time when I will justify 99 for a multimode filter. But if it was $50 I'd probably have bought it. Cytomic are one company that make me ponder the old "If they sold it for half the price, I bet they'd sell more than twice as many units" question. But I'm sure they know what their optimum price is. *shrug*

Steedus
Posts: 198
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 31 Jul 2019

I just want to make it clear that I wasn't advocating a system that allows me to demo something without a time limit *to avoid* buying it. It's just like EdGrip put it, demoing against the clock so to speak, for me, isn't how I find I get a good go at a plugin. My 'workflow' is just too sporadic, and music for me is firmly in the 'hobby' camp.

But to bring this slightly back on topic, in the case of originally trialling The Animus, I found something it did that I didn't like, and after seeing it had been updated a few times wanted to see if my personal issues with it had been - for want of a better word - addressed. I'm clearly in the minority however as it's received lots of praise around here so I don't want to take anything away from it.

User avatar
fceramic
Posts: 41
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Aug 2019

Bought Animus. Tested it when it came out and couldn't remember what I thought of it.
Massively disappointed with the sound quality. Been going through presets and tweaking for days and I still can't get a pleasant sound out of it. It's good for unpleasant sound effects, but this is no shimmer reverb as it really metallic and resonant sounding.
Would love some patches that proves me wrong.

Comparing Animus to Valhalla really proves how much quality matters over loads of bells and whistles.

fullforce
Posts: 159
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 02 Aug 2019

Steedus wrote:
30 Jul 2019
fullforce wrote:
30 Jul 2019
How much time do you need to check out a freaking effect?
Precisely 33.6 days. how about you? :ugeek:

No, seriously I can go through 'blank' periods where I either don't have time - or energy - to even sit down at my computer let alone open up Reason. And there's no telling when they'll occur. But I suppose it's a probably a sign that if the plugin doesn't grab you in the first 15 - 20 mins, it's probably not for you (ie; me) anyway. I just really wanted to like this one. I have 2 shimmer hardware pedals (Strymon BigSky & Mr. Black Eterna) but it would be nice to have a software one for ease of use.

Time or energy. Also know as "can't be arsed". Well in that case, too bad.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 672
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 02 Aug 2019

fceramic wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Bought Animus. Tested it when it came out and couldn't remember what I thought of it.
Massively disappointed with the sound quality. Been going through presets and tweaking for days and I still can't get a pleasant sound out of it. It's good for unpleasant sound effects, but this is no shimmer reverb as it really metallic and resonant sounding.
Would love some patches that proves me wrong.

Comparing Animus to Valhalla really proves how much quality matters over loads of bells and whistles.
If you already have Polar you can wire up a shimmer style reverb in a Combinator - I think there was a YouTube video on it somewhere. But yeah, that Valhalla shimmer is pretty sweet.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Steedus
Posts: 198
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 09 Aug 2019

I did end up buying the Animus. But after 3 minutes I found all the same issues as before with reverb tails cutting off abruptly. I tried contacting Jiggery through his website for support and got ignored. Definitely a regrettable purchase.

MrFigg
Posts: 2414
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 09 Aug 2019

Boombastix wrote:
02 Aug 2019
fceramic wrote:
01 Aug 2019
Bought Animus. Tested it when it came out and couldn't remember what I thought of it.
Massively disappointed with the sound quality. Been going through presets and tweaking for days and I still can't get a pleasant sound out of it. It's good for unpleasant sound effects, but this is no shimmer reverb as it really metallic and resonant sounding.
Would love some patches that proves me wrong.

Comparing Animus to Valhalla really proves how much quality matters over loads of bells and whistles.
If you already have Polar you can wire up a shimmer style reverb in a Combinator - I think there was a YouTube video on it somewhere. But yeah, that Valhalla shimmer is pretty sweet.
Here’s another way I found a while ago with free VSTs. It’s pretty good.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7511619&hilit=Shimmer

fullforce
Posts: 159
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 09 Aug 2019

Steedus wrote:
09 Aug 2019
I did end up buying the Animus. But after 3 minutes I found all the same issues as before with reverb tails cutting off abruptly. I tried contacting Jiggery through his website for support and got ignored. Definitely a regrettable purchase.
Oh I'm sure he'll pop up now that you've said this.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
JiggeryPokery
Posts: 1013
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Aug 2019

fullforce wrote:
09 Aug 2019
Steedus wrote:
09 Aug 2019
I did end up buying the Animus. But after 3 minutes I found all the same issues as before with reverb tails cutting off abruptly. I tried contacting Jiggery through his website for support and got ignored. Definitely a regrettable purchase.
Oh I'm sure he'll pop up now that you've said this.
I can't immediately see Steedus' post you quoted reply directly but I've received no communication via my website recently about Animus, and all three emails I've received in the past on it have replies sent. I do not ignore support requests and I try to respond within 24 hours, at the most within 7 days, but that's not the case here. No email on the matter has been received, unfortunately.

There isn't really much any dev can do if one doesn't receive the communication so it's a shame the default position is "got ignored", but in truth many of us have similar experiences, I've got builders "ignoring" my requests for a quote for a new bathroom, so... I do quite understand the frustration!

As to the criticism of the reverb, I do recall a discussion about reverb tails in the past, perhaps here on the original RT thread. But this still confuses the hell out of me cos I'm not hearing it and I don't recall ever being sent an example of this happening, and I mean aside from convol waveforms that intentionally do weird things or have quick falloffs, I'm hearing no abrupt cutoff of the shimmer itself. Some of the convol reverbs alone do, but it's a shimmer device, not a pure-bred reverb device and not really intended as one (although it can be used in that manner); in my experience the shimmer itself doesn't suddenly cut out, it'll fade as the feedback loop decays. If I'm shown something that might be issue, then I can look into it but I've not been sent anything that suggests there's a problem.

And I confess I'm somewhat bemused by another comment above that says Animus "isn't a shimmer reverb" because, uh, it doesn't sound like someone else's shimmer reverb. That's like saying a Bosendorfer can't be a piano because it doesn't sound like a Steinway. It's perfectly OK, albeit personally disappointing of course!, to just prefer the sound of their device over mine; fundamentally similar things are allowed to sound different. ;)

____

EDIT - there seems to be a redirection issue with the Contact page on the website. It _was_ working!! But yeah, a test email results in it going missing :puf_unhappy: Sorry!
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 09 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

fullforce
Posts: 159
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 09 Aug 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
09 Aug 2019
As to the criticism of the reverb, I do recall a discussion about reverb tails in the past, perhaps here on the original RT thread. But this still confuses the hell out of me cos I'm not hearing it and I don't recall ever being sent an example of this happening, and I mean aside from convol waveforms that intentionally do weird things or have quick falloffs, I'm hearing no abrupt cutoff of the shimmer itself.
Oh good. I thought it was just me, because I'm not hearing it either.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Steedus
Posts: 198
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 10 Aug 2019

Hey thanks for the explanation JP, and yes sorry to jump to the "I'm being ignored" claim, but that's just how I was feeling at the time. I understand now it was an issue with the message not getting through.

In the message I just stated that I understand I am definitely in the minority with having 'issues' with it and was just curious to hear what you thought. And like you say, in combination with the shimmer, maybe it all works out. I admit that I could just be using it wrong or simply had a different expectation for how I thought it would function. I'd be more than happy to send you through some examples, privately, if you are curious.

I won't mention it again here.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], doze and 0 guests