Delta MIDI Computer (January 17, 2020: version 1.3 is out now! New Node!)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
freshkidblaze

Post 28 Apr 2021

Socram wrote:
27 Apr 2021
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Apr 2021
Awesome! Still hoping for a custom delay node! ;)
That feature is (finally) coming in this update as well, I really appreciate your patience I'm pretty sure I told you a year ago or something it was coming soon :oops:
Is delta going to be on sale again any time soon?

MannequinRaces

Post 28 Apr 2021

freshkidblaze wrote:
28 Apr 2021
Socram wrote:
27 Apr 2021

That feature is (finally) coming in this update as well, I really appreciate your patience I'm pretty sure I told you a year ago or something it was coming soon :oops:
Is delta going to be on sale again any time soon?
May Madness... not much longer to wait. :)

phithegoldenratio

Post 29 Apr 2021

Delta IS a treasure!

one thing I am wondering is if there is any way to get (some of) nodes parameters automatable...

I understand, most common/efficient way to use Delta may be: wire up and then bounce MIDI to track.

I just like grooving around with it and wish I could record parameter changes while doing so.. Especially on the Delay node :D

challism

Post 29 Apr 2021

phithegoldenratio wrote:
29 Apr 2021
Delta IS a treasure!

one thing I am wondering is if there is any way to get (some of) nodes parameters automatable...

I understand, most common/efficient way to use Delta may be: wire up and then bounce MIDI to track.

I just like grooving around with it and wish I could record parameter changes while doing so.. Especially on the Delay node :D
I agree that automation of parameters would be amazing. There is so much going on under the hood in Delta, I think adding automation opens it up to a lot of unforeseen internal problems (such as bugs or conflicts).

One instance of Delta will support up to 50 nodes, so how about instead of automation, you build a few different identical chains (with just slightly different settings) and throw a switch (or multiple switches) at the beginning of the identical chains. This will at least give you some variation. And don't forget, you can stack multiple instances of Delta, too. Building a massive player stack with different variations of Delta could be a way to fake automating the nodes. Combine them with some instances of LoveOne's MIDI-CV Converter (slaves placed under each Delta, sending notes to the master placed above the instrument) , Le Note's Received Note (turned off, to stop the notes from passing down the player stack) and even throw in Robotic Bean's CV Select Switch to switch between the different Delta's notes. The back of Reason's rack is so much fun.

Here's a little combi I just made to show what I'm talking about. There aren't any differences in the nodes, and delay probably isn't the best example to use for this. But this should give you an idea of what I'm talking about doing.
something like this.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Stygian Abyss

Post 03 May 2021

challism wrote:
29 Apr 2021
I agree that automation of parameters would be amazing. There is so much going on under the hood in Delta, I think adding automation opens it up to a lot of unforeseen internal problems (such as bugs or conflicts).
I suppose that the main problem with automation in Delta would be that, unlike a standard synth or player interface, the interface controls are created dynamicly by the user. As a comparison, in a VST like Reaktor, there is a pool of pre-existing MIDI automation controls, each having an unique number, and those controls are allocated to the created user interface items using a table.

Is a similar implementation possible under the current RE SDK ? All I can say is that I doubt it, or that it must be very complex to achieve, and that such a system is not very user-friendly.

That's the main reason why I suggested the addition of CV sensitivity to the If and Switch nodes to Marcos. If you can't automate inside Delta, you may instead easily do it inside any CV generator tool plugged to it, which solves at least partially the problem.

Meanwhile, the workaround suggestions you offered are really valuable, especially the combination of several Delta with MIDI-CV Converter. :thumbup:

selig
RE Developer

Post 03 May 2021

re: automation...
What if you added 4-8 static rotaries (macro controls) like a Combinator/Thor, which could then be automated and might also be handy for global control of multiple parameters? Forgive me if this is already possible (or for some reasons is NOT possible!).
Selig Audio, LLC

Socram
RE Developer

Post 05 May 2021

Stygian Abyss wrote:
03 May 2021
I suppose that the main problem with automation in Delta would be that, unlike a standard synth or player interface, the interface controls are created dynamicly by the user.
You basically hit the nail on the head with this observation, and unfortunately the SDK does not provide an out of the box solution for tackling this issue of automating "custom display" controls, which basically Delta is made entirely of.
selig wrote:
03 May 2021
re: automation...
What if you added 4-8 static rotaries (macro controls) like a Combinator/Thor, which could then be automated and might also be handy for global control of multiple parameters? Forgive me if this is already possible (or for some reasons is NOT possible!).
Hey Selig, appreciate you chiming in, love your REs! I've had this exact idea since basically V1.0 came out, and haven't ruled it out. It would however require a pretty heavy overhaul of some core systems driving Delta, and I assume would require a pretty involved UI/UX as well. I'll never say never, but I'm going to start with these CV ideas and see where that gets us.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, AutoLatch, and more coming soon!
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

• Information