Comments Section in the RE Shop?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
owlymane

04 Jul 2019

Any particular reason why Props chose not to show comments in the RE Shop? Could be nice to read what the people who tried/bought think of the product (more expressive rating compared to only star rating)
Last edited by owlymane on 05 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

craven

04 Jul 2019

would be nice, but I think Props are afraid of unconstructive feedback, spam and increased moderation work-load. We could try to have a more organised feedback section per device here. However, we tend to derail threads, so that part would need to have a different structure. The current ratings give not much insight, indeed. In the end, it's best to test what you need.
:ugeek:

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

craven wrote:
04 Jul 2019
would be nice, but I think Props are afraid of unconstructive feedback, spam and increased moderation work-load. We could try to have a more organised feedback section per device here. However, we tend to derail threads, so that part would need to have a different structure. The current ratings give not much insight, indeed. In the end, it's best to test what you need.
Excellent point. There are more costs in building a comments section indeed.

I hope they are investing this money for next updates! :)

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

Do any other plugin shops allow user comments? It doesn't sound like a good idea.

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
Do any other plugin shops allow user comments? It doesn't sound like a good idea.
You're right I don't recall seeing any comments section in other shops. But since Props have built a very secure website, I thought it could be nice that only the people who purchase/try an RE and already own reason can give their review about the RE.

REs also belong to Props mostly (I mean, I don't know how much of the RE belongs to Props, but at the end its sold on Props Shop). As opposed to a Plugin Shop that sells plugins from different companies. In the RE Shop there's more control.

But again, that was just a question that popped up in my mind. 0 knowledge of Plugin Shops :oops:
Last edited by owlymane on 05 Jul 2019, edited 2 times in total.

antic604

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I'm aware of this developer, but - comparatively - it's quite niche so perhaps their buyers behave well:

https://www.hornetplugins.com/

WongoTheSane

04 Jul 2019

ReasonTalk is the comments section :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
04 Jul 2019
dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I'm aware of this developer, but - comparatively - it's quite niche so perhaps their buyers behave well:

https://www.hornetplugins.com/
As opposed to Reason users who are, historically, a very rowdy bunch :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

reddust

04 Jul 2019

I think most developers don't have a comment section on their shops or even websites in general, but some of them do at least offer an official forum where some member(s) of their staff would answer questions and give some help to users, like Audiobro, ROLI, Native Instruments...

Similar to what happens here with some RE devs like the nice guys from Robot Bean or Selig. We get to see Mattias from PH every now and then but I can't remember of any member of the PH staff writing on a regular basis here and letting us know he is indeed part of PHs staff.

sleep1979

04 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
04 Jul 2019
Any particular reason why Props chose not to show comments in the RE Shop? Could be nice to read what the people who tried/bough think of the product (more expressive rating compared to only star rating)
WHAT ABOUT IF someone could make a rating system elsewhere ?
so people can see reviews in one forum here

sleep1979

04 Jul 2019

its absolute bullshit if people cant say that a synth is shite or review it because
you wouldn't buy something on amazon without looking at reviews would u ?

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jul 2019
its absolute bullshit if people cant say that a synth is shite or review it because
you wouldn't buy something on amazon without looking at reviews would u ?
I agree 100% with you but I think it's more related to the fact that it costs more for them to make a comments section. But I find the idea of having an Airbnb/Fiverr type of rating (you know, like you can comment only when you buy the product or service) really cool

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

I'm torn on this. It would be useful to be able to let other users know if there were unfixed bugs, but I think a comments system could just become a place for trash talking the product. Perhaps it's better to keep the discussions here. Comments aren't always constructive (YouTube) and people don't always know what they're talking about. At least if someone jumps to the wrong conclusion about a device feature here, they might get corrected.

I don't know if anyone remembers a user called Theo M that caused a lot of problems on the old PH forum and also here. It only takes one or two difficult people to screw things up.

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
and people don't always know what they're talking about.
You can say the same about the star-rating too then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I'm torn on this. It would be useful to be able to let other users know if there were unfixed bugs, but I think a comments system could just become a place for trash talking the product. Perhaps it's better to keep the discussions here. Comments aren't always constructive (YouTube) and people don't always know what they're talking about. At least if someone jumps to the wrong conclusion about a device feature here, they might get corrected.

I don't know if anyone remembers a user called Theo M that caused a lot of problems on the old PH forum and also here. It only takes one or two difficult people to screw things up.
I invite you to reread my posts :) Only the buyer can comment, a bit like airbnb or fiverr, people who rate are people that purchased the product/service. Huge difference compared to a bunch of randoms commenting :)

WongoTheSane

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019

Some guy just spent two days arguing on the NI forums that Massive X had "aliasing", when he had enabled saturation in the audio path and the peak he saw were only harmonics... He even made a YT video to "demonstrate" the problem!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019

I think you meant to say: people hardly ever know what they're talking about :roll:
But it is what it is...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MarkTarlton

04 Jul 2019

Universal Audio allows comments which I find helpful, and pretty much most music retailers like Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Sweetwater all have comment sections. If you don't make a good product the consumer will let you know, and if it's great... well you get the picture. Also if there is a plug in a developer that jumps ship, you could read about it, or for the super on top of it developers that would most likely be discussed, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with a comments section. This sight(ReasonTalk) is not visited by all the people buying RE's, it would be good for those people to be clued in on some basic info.

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
04 Jul 2019
You can say the same about the star-rating too then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The star-rating doesn't give the user the opportunity to batch and moan. This is the internet. Bad opinions get much more traction than praise.

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

owlymane wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I invite you to reread my posts :) Only the buyer can comment, a bit like airbnb or fiverr, people who rate are people that purchased the product/service. Huge difference compared to a bunch of randoms commenting :)
I've seen enough people here on ReasonTalk who've insta-purchased something only to find it has a shortcoming or they've misunderstood something about the device. Just because they pulled the trigger and bought it doesn't mean they're able to give it a fair review.

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
04 Jul 2019
Some guy just spent two days arguing on the NI forums that Massive X had "aliasing", when he had enabled saturation in the audio path and the peak he saw were only harmonics... He even made a YT video to "demonstrate" the problem!
There you go, a good example of the kind of thing that would happen. I'm all for people finding real bugs and problems and encouraging the developer to improve the device or fix it, but my experience of the forums and the internet in general tells me that even things with no basis can get traction. Everyone in this forum knows what 'The Reason Sound" is, despite no-one ever being able to demonstrate it. Flat Earth theory anyone?

dioxide

04 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I think you meant to say: people hardly ever know what they're talking about :roll:
Oh, I'm not that pessimistic, at least amongst Reason users. There are plenty of well informed, smart people here. It's just that people's worse fears and ideas seem to persist more in people's minds more than positive stuff, which i guess is why monster myths have survived thousands of years. If there are 20 people saying how great a device is and then one person starts bad mouthing it, then unfortunately that is going to have an effect. For some reason people pay attention to nay-sayers, it's just human nature.

I've learned a lot from forums over the years, and I have a lot more knowledge now than I did even 5 years ago. Think of how much knowledge you had yourself 5 years ago, and whether you were qualified then to speak about things that you now understand much better. Do we really expect Selig to chime in and correct our mistakes every time someone posts something that's incorrect? :lol:

Let's stick with the star-rating :D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2019

dioxide wrote:
04 Jul 2019
Boombastix wrote:
04 Jul 2019
Oh, I'm not that pessimistic, at least amongst Reason users. There are plenty of well informed, smart people here. It's just that people's worse fears and ideas seem to persist more in people's minds more than positive stuff, which i guess is why monster myths have survived thousands of years. If there are 20 people saying how great a device is and then one person starts bad mouthing it, then unfortunately that is going to have an effect. For some reason people pay attention to nay-sayers, it's just human nature.

I've learned a lot from forums over the years, and I have a lot more knowledge now than I did even 5 years ago. Think of how much knowledge you had yourself 5 years ago, and whether you were qualified then to speak about things that you now understand much better. Do we really expect Selig to chime in and correct our mistakes every time someone posts something that's incorrect? :lol:

Let's stick with the star-rating :D
I was referring to your comment about YouTube. RT is an oasis in comparison. :thumbs_up:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

joeyluck

04 Jul 2019

I'm still of the opinion that people should be held accountable to back up their ratings with words. I actually have the opinion that anybody rating something should be required to say a few words. If someone wants to give something 1 star and just say, "I hate the color green!" then we know that 1 star rating doesn't carry much weight.

Also with reviews I learn things about products I might not have thought, like "this replaced xyz for me because it can do this" or "At first this sounded bad to me, but then I discovered you have to do this...it really shines for things like this" which I might've overlooked.

I'd rather people not have the ability to hide behind 1 star ratings and I think the mass majority will find usefulness in reviews and be able to weed out the bad ones, undertsanding that something that is 3 stars in the shop isn't bad, it's because people didn't like the price, or the color or whatever.

owlymane

04 Jul 2019

joeyluck wrote:
04 Jul 2019
I'm still of the opinion that people should be held accountable to back up their ratings with words. I actually have the opinion that anybody rating something should be required to say a few words. If someone wants to give something 1 star and just say, "I hate the color green!" then we know that 1 star rating doesn't carry much weight.

Also with reviews I learn things about products I might not have thought, like "this replaced xyz for me because it can do this" or "At first this sounded bad to me, but then I discovered you have to do this...it really shines for things like this" which I might've overlooked.

I'd rather people not have the ability to hide behind 1 star ratings and I think the mass majority will find usefulness in reviews and be able to weed out the bad ones, undertsanding that something that is 3 stars in the shop isn't bad, it's because people didn't like the price, or the color or whatever.
Even say there is a person that is misinformed and comments something that is out of bound. Maybe it's a good opportunity for the dev to express the misunderstanding and reply so that people who'd fall for it can learn about it, and can also see the dev is reachable for future support.

• Information