British Equalizer model A by Red Rock Sound

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
aeox
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2019

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Image

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀Image
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... r-model-a/
Intro price all July!

Model A based on Classic British EQ from the '70s. With a surprisingly wide range of tonal variations, the Model A is an invaluable and professional audio tool with great flexibility and excellent sonic ability.

Product details
Features

Modeled vintage EQ
Four bands of classic British equalization (The mid frequency EQ sections are “peaking”, while the high and low frequency sections are “shelving”).
Each band offers four selected frequency centers
15 dB of boost/cut per band
Three high pass filters at 18 dB per octave and three low pass filters at 12 dB per octave
Stereo(Mono), Mid or Side EQ modes
Saturation on/off button
The main of the EQ section allows four frequencies at any one time, switchable to one of four frequencies. Low Filter (Shelf): 50, 80, 100, 150 Hz; Low-Mid Filter (Bell): 250, 500 1k, 2k Hz; High-Mid Filter (Bell): 3k, 5k, 7k, 9k Hz; High Filter (Shelf): 8k, 10k, 12k, 15k Hz.

A series of three high pass filters at 18 dB per octave and three low pass filters at 12 dB per octave are arranged at the ends of the EQ section. They are unique in that the switches can be pushed in simultaneously, offering distinct cut filter combinations with unusual filter curves.

The Model A extends the features of the original hardware and joins the flexibility of the digital world to the character of the analog processing. Allows you to choose between equalizer modes (Stereo, mid, side) and remove analogue saturation from the processing circuit to deliver pure digital sound.

:D

scratchnsnifff

02 Jul 2019

Is the British EQ and savings because of that American Independence Day thing?

Haha so glad to see another model that’s not so inaccessible. Red rock has been killing it lately
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eusti

02 Jul 2019

Any possible relation to this one? ;)
p16vgb9a001cle1veaquk3c01gdu3.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg
p16vgb9a001cle1veaquk3c01gdu3.png.10000x10000_q85.jpg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 2590 times
D.

Mr. Watts

02 Jul 2019

Looks nice ! Will definitely have to try it out. I hope at some point Red Rock puts out a bundle for all their eq’s and compressors. I would really like to have more vintage / character devices in my rack but at $49 a piece I just can justify yet, although Im sure it’s worth the price to those who absolutely need it. Will check back here after demoing !

reggie1979

02 Jul 2019

eusti wrote:
02 Jul 2019

D.
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2019

I probably just have never noticed this on other devices, but it this the first device that doesn't have the Bypass / On / Off switch over on the left?

Creativemind

02 Jul 2019

eusti wrote:
02 Jul 2019

D.
I thought that.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

motuscott

02 Jul 2019

Considerably cheaper than the Softube RE
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

esselfortium

02 Jul 2019

Steedus wrote:
02 Jul 2019
I probably just have never noticed this on other devices, but it this the first device that doesn't have the Bypass / On / Off switch over on the left?
Oh woah, that's weird... I kinda wish they hadn't done that. Makes it harder to find quickly if it's stuck somewhere in the middle instead of the general area it is on every other device.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2019

Hmm looks like alot of their RE's are like that actually.. Never noticed before.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Jul 2019

Mr. Watts wrote:
02 Jul 2019
Looks nice ! Will definitely have to try it out. I hope at some point Red Rock puts out a bundle for all their eq’s and compressors. I would really like to have more vintage / character devices in my rack but at $49 a piece I just can justify yet, although Im sure it’s worth the price to those who absolutely need it. Will check back here after demoing !
Hey, Softube has got the same EQ for $150 :D

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2019

aeox wrote:
02 Jul 2019
Grabbed the Softube VST for $23 last Black Friday. It has its uses but nothing special, bands affect each other and the saturation is different from anything else i have tested. Not better, just different, not a favorite for saturation actually.

Difficult to get your hands on actual Trident HW, did they model after the Softube one then? No mention about the bands affecting each other or what the saturation is modeled after (only generic? UJAM Gorilla EQ w purple skin?).
Sorry if that is unfair, but I'm skeptical...

The Trident is nice at the hi frequencies, but lack good shaping in the bass. I use it for subtle work. So vocals, generic instruments, maybe snare, but not so much for drums.
But then, you can get half a dozen EQs for free. Is anyone buying EQs in 2019? :shock:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reasonsuser88

03 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
03 Jul 2019
Is anyone buying EQs in 2019? :shock:
So far it has been ProQ3, Maag EQ4 and Dangerous Music BAX for me this year. :twisted:
The time has come for you to take care and comb your hair. :wave:

geronimo

03 Jul 2019

McDSP 6060 for me _

Loque

03 Jul 2019

Boombastix wrote:
03 Jul 2019
aeox wrote:
02 Jul 2019
Grabbed the Softube VST for $23 last Black Friday. It has its uses but nothing special, bands affect each other and the saturation is different from anything else i have tested. Not better, just different, not a favorite for saturation actually.

Difficult to get your hands on actual Trident HW, did they model after the Softube one then? No mention about the bands affecting each other or what the saturation is modeled after (only generic? UJAM Gorilla EQ w purple skin?).
Sorry if that is unfair, but I'm skeptical...

The Trident is nice at the hi frequencies, but lack good shaping in the bass. I use it for subtle work. So vocals, generic instruments, maybe snare, but not so much for drums.
But then, you can get half a dozen EQs for free. Is anyone buying EQs in 2019? :shock:
The Trident is best for vocals and similar stuff. Some said, the saturation is similar to the Softube Knob. It sounds nice, but not worth the $4 million they call out for it.

The only EQ i grabbed this year was the fabfilter Pro-Q 3 and probably the last one i bought for the next few years. Awsome peace of software. Ofc not so "musical" out of the box, but it can do a lot and that incredible quick.

Regarding those Gurilla FX...yea, i am sceptical about those things too... As soon as i read "modeled after" or "Based on" that means, it looks or reminds this device and this is the same as i say, "a banana is a fruit" or a "strawberry is a bean"...On the other side, you can get a ton of free DSP code today and just put a interface around it and sell it. In that cases just look in the manual and you will find it, as long as the dev followes the licenses of that DSP code...Today i am very carefull with buying any fx or synths...
Reason12, Win10

NicolaAlexandraHajdu

03 Jul 2019

eusti wrote:
02 Jul 2019

D.
DITTO! :) I had the same dejavu experience when i checked the shop for new arrivals & updates yesterday. Usually i don't rant about stuff i can't probably process but i kind of feel played, if you know what i mean. I see myself confronted with a copy of an excellent software emulation of a highly praised hardware, which recieved a great support rate of - currently - (496) votes: https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... nt-a-range. Softube has invested so much time, money & energy to emulate this beautiful device.

The reissue of Trident-A is hardly affordable for many musicians and aspiring sound engineers, i get it: https://www.soundpure.com/p/trident-aud ... th-eq/3249. The hardware will never ever find a way in my studio rack, thus when Softube released Trident-A i had to have it, it was a no brainer. €149.00 isn't cheap neither, but in an affordable range. Of course, we could take the discusion further with Kuassa's EVE-MP5 BUT in this particular case i don't just see an affordable package for those who can't afford Softube's Tube-Tech Classic Channel. Softube's RE doesn't offer any CV options & both Rack Extensions sound great "on their own".

The American EQs are not bad but they don't sound like Waves API plugins. As i don't have any UAD emulations at my disposal i can't tell the role-model here. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on that ? I'm greatful to their RE 1080 Dynamic Driver & the RE 60. The Palette Colorizer got me curious, so i'm subscribed on that still. In my humble opinion, the C1-L1 Vintage Compressor & the RE3Q Six-band Equalizer are their best releases so far.

Conclusion: My bottom line of my message is not to trash Red Rock Sound. Neither do I mind emulations of famous gear but i don't believe in a constant demand for cheaper copies of existing emulations in the SAME format.

Much Love
Nicola
Last edited by NicolaAlexandraHajdu on 03 Jul 2019, edited 1 time in total.

NicolaAlexandraHajdu

03 Jul 2019

On the other side, you can get a ton of free DSP code today and just put a interface around it and sell it. In that cases just look in the manual and you will find it, as long as the dev followes the licenses of that DSP code...Today i am very carefull with buying any fx or synths...
I got another dejavu here but i will keep it quiet. ;)

Much Love
Nicola

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Jul 2019

Loque wrote:
03 Jul 2019
Some said, the saturation is similar to the Softube Knob.
I ran the Trident saturator with various sine tones through a scope, and a WHOLE lotta other saturators, incl Softube Saturation Knob. Trident was different from all others I tested. Sat Knob is quite unique too (and turning the knob is not just more, it changes the overtone spectra), but not at all like Trident. However, sometimes you see stuff on the scope that doesn't always translate to something you hear, but then again putting a saturator on actual audio and how well it sounds is very program dependent.
You got some really good free ones as well like Camel Crusher, Klanghelm, NickCrow. Though the trident saturator is unique I have yet to find a use for it :o
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information