New "Processed Pianos" RE from PH

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

28 Jun 2019

boosto23 wrote:
27 Jun 2019
I've been a long-time user of Reason Pianos Refill, but I did not receive an email with regards to upgrading to Processed Pianos RE. The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago, but my account has no mention of my refills. Can you guys help?
Reason Pianos came with a serial registration card that you had to manually register on your account. Did you ever do that?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2019
boosto23 wrote:
27 Jun 2019
I've been a long-time user of Reason Pianos Refill, but I did not receive an email with regards to upgrading to Processed Pianos RE. The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago, but my account has no mention of my refills. Can you guys help?
Reason Pianos came with a serial registration card that you had to manually register on your account. Did you ever do that?
As I said already...it shouldn’t make any difference if he’s registered or not. I bought it ages ago and never registered it. I am however on the Propellerheads mailing list so got the email with the discount code.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Jun 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2019

As I said already...it shouldn’t make any difference if he’s registered or not. I bought it ages ago and never registered it. I am however on the Propellerheads mailing list so got the email with the discount code.
Right, but my response was to address his statement "The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago". Back in those days, you received an actual serial card that you had to manually register, is all.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Jun 2019

Right, but my response was to address his statement "The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago". Back in those days, you received an actual serial card that you had to manually register, is all.
Absolutely. It wasn’t my intention in any way to correct you. Hope you didn’t take it that way. I was more just pointing out that it makes no difference whether he registered it or not. His initial question, as I read it, was how he could get the code.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Jun 2019
Absolutely. It wasn’t my intention in any way to correct you. Hope you didn’t take it that way. I was more just pointing out that it makes no difference whether he registered it or not. His initial question, as I read it, was how he could get the code.
Of course - no worries! That said, I also have the refill (and it's registered to my account). I never got the discount email, either. :( :o :shock: :?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
28 Jun 2019
Of course - no worries! That said, I also have the refill (and it's registered to my account). I never got the discount email, either. :( :o :shock: :?
Hmmm. Weird. You are on their mailing list though?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
28 Jun 2019
Hmmm. Weird. You are on their mailing list though?
Yeah. I get everything from them.

hurricane
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2019

I installed Processed Pianos out of curiosity (yeah, I don't like it) and now after deleting Processed Pianos, Reason thinks PredatorRE is on trial. Processed Pianos was my only trial, and after deleting it, I still get the login prompt, and finally figured out it the offender was PredatorRE. So either Processed Pianos messed that up or it was the very latest Predator update.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

29 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
28 Jun 2019
I installed Processed Pianos out of curiosity (yeah, I don't like it)
Ignoring your issue, may I ask why you decided to try something you already knew you wouldn’t like? 😂

Reasonable man

29 Jun 2019

Love it. The Multitap echo is awesome. It's my go to piano now..but more so than that i've also found my go to start up composing tool...of which i've never had one before ..europa/subtractor really really wasn't doing it for me and i would gladly delete the id8 piano if i could.
Different strokes for different folks i guess.
Hvn't tried mixing with it yet but at the moment i fail a senario where this awesome device cant fit in a mix of well...any genre but as i say i havn't tries that yet

sleep1979

29 Jun 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
29 Jun 2019
Love it. The Multitap echo is awesome. It's my go to piano now..but more so than that i've also found my go to start up composing tool...of which i've never had one before ..europa/subtractor really really wasn't doing it for me and i would gladly delete the id8 piano if i could.
Hvn't tried mixing with it yet but at the moment i fail a senario where this awesome device cant fit in a mix of well...any genre but as i say i havn't tries that yet
You know the id8 pianos are taken from
Reason pianos but just one mic perspective

Reasonable man

29 Jun 2019

Seal1980 wrote:
29 Jun 2019
Reasonable man wrote:
29 Jun 2019
You know the id8 pianos are taken from
Reason pianos but just one mic perspective
Probably is batman. But i always found it a wholly uninspiring device for start ups myself. Its like its there ...buts its not really there at all!

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
29 Jun 2019
Ignoring your issue, may I ask why you decided to try something you already knew you wouldn’t like? 😂
hurricane wrote:
28 Jun 2019
...out of curiosity
Weren't you curious? Or did you not even bother because you have access to better pianos now?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

29 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
29 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
29 Jun 2019
hurricane wrote:
28 Jun 2019
...out of curiosity

Weren't you curious? Or did you not even bother because you have access to better pianos now?
Not enough to download them. I knew how the refill matched up to everything else out and added fx and modulation doesn’t change that for me. Besides, I have about 9 different Piano options as it is. 😁

stratatonic

29 Jun 2019

Processed Pianos, lol...

ProcessedCheeze.jpg
ProcessedCheeze.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 4242 times

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2019

I think the original Reason Pianos are still good, particularly if you drench them in reverb and make them a little "softer. Due to the closed nature of the Processed Piano RE (and to some odd velocity issues), I couldn't edit the piano to make it sound like it sounds in this:

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

29 Jun 2019

hurricane wrote:
29 Jun 2019
I think the original Reason Pianos are still good, particularly if you drench them in reverb and make them a little "softer. Due to the closed nature of the Processed Piano RE (and to some odd velocity issues), I couldn't edit the piano to make it sound like it sounds in this:

Don’t get me wrong, I think the refill and probably The RE are better than Radical piano as far as real sounding pianos go.

...Make that 10 piano options. Forgot I had Radical too

antic604

25 Jul 2019

Just got a 60% off code from Props (no, I don't own the refill).

Worth it for the reduced price? :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
25 Jul 2019

Personally I don’t like it. I do have, use and like the refill though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

25 Jul 2019

MrFigg wrote:
25 Jul 2019
antic604 wrote:
25 Jul 2019

Personally I don’t like it. I do have, use and like the refill though.
One advantage of the ReFill over the other versions is you can process the samples at the voice level, which is important to me when thinking of a "processed" sound. For example, you can affect notes with differently with different velocities, track the filter and use resonance to create interesting polyphonic effects (as opposed to one filter applied to the output of all piano samples), pan notes individually, apply vibrato individually, etc.

Many more exotic possibilities this way IMO - as it is, you could just as easily add FX to any piano sample and get similar results.

That being said, wish they would release the delay and other effects as individual units, as they are one of the stand-outs from this device IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

buddard
RE Developer

25 Jul 2019

First of all, full disclosure: I was involved in implementing this RE (but not in designing it), so take this into consideration when reading my opinion about it -- Although I can also add that I got payed a fixed amount for the work, so I don't have anything to gain from marketing it. ;)

I was a bit hesitant about the product idea at first, like what's the point of just repackaging the samples and adding some effects, right?

But the further we got on the project, the more I liked it, and when I received the first batch of presets it really clicked for me! Several times I caught myself just playing around with it instead of working. :shock:

I think it's a great choice of effects and settings, and I can quickly get it to sound the way I want, without the distractions of browsing for effects, routing, etc.
So if I get some inspiration I just pull upp Processed Pianos, browse through a couple of presets to get in the ballpark of what I want, and then I tweak it from there!

And regarding the effects, remember that there's an audio input on the back!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

QVprod wrote:
29 Jun 2019
hurricane wrote:
29 Jun 2019

Don’t get me wrong, I think the refill and probably The RE are better than Radical piano as far as real sounding pianos go.

...Make that 10 piano options. Forgot I had Radical too
Finally someone that thinks the same as me. Radical piano is to me the piano that could have been. It could be great, the features are great, and yet, the sound is crap.

Reason Pianos is great compared to it.

Still... I've recently been exploring the wonders of Soundfonts and the plethora of SFz files around. If you remember that NN-XT loads soundfonts, check out the salamander pianos.

I created a patch with a blend of a yamaha c5 salamander with a muffled Radikal piano for mechanics. And it sounds absolutely wonderful! For 0 bucks! Eye opening tbh... The only thing missing is string ressonance...

antic604

25 Jul 2019

mcatalao wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Finally someone that thinks the same as me. Radical piano is to me the piano that could have been. It could be great, the features are great, and yet, the sound is crap.
Well, he said "The RE are better than Radical piano as far as real sounding pianos go" which should be obvious - Radical Piano is for ...radical sounds. If you look for a clean, concert piano you should look elsewhere. You're not buying "Psytrance Leads" sound pack to write meditative music only because it has "leads" in its name, right? ;)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

antic604 wrote:
25 Jul 2019
mcatalao wrote:
25 Jul 2019
Well, he said "The RE are better than Radical piano as far as real sounding pianos go" which should be obvious - Radical Piano is for ...radical sounds. If you look for a clean, concert piano you should look elsewhere. You're not buying "Psytrance Leads" sound pack to write meditative music only because it has "leads" in its name, right? ;)
That's bollocks because the source material SHOULD sound good. The idea of a radical piano should be that you take a piano sound (a good base piano sound, not the toy'ish sound of ANY of the pianos in there) and then tweak wherever you want. It's a misinterpretation thing (from others imho).

IF all the things you tweak are characteristics intrinsic to a piano (Resonance, pedal resonance, pedal behavior, mechanics, etc, etc) then why on hell a simple piano sounds like crap? Sorry. It's the piano that could be the best (functionally) and its sound is crap and that makes me mad (not at you, at the re).

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2019

Oh, and processed pianos, despite the better quality of the sound of the Re, was another failed opportunity. A lot of Radical pianos functions and mechanics, could (should) be brought to it from (all those things i said back there) and yet the Re only brings a couple of Effects more. For me, as a piano lover and Reason fanboy, it makes me really sad to say that these were really missed opportunities.

And as another user said, while Reason Drumkits and Reason Electric Bass in the Re form present a newer, fresh way to work with these sounds, Processed Pianos doesn't add nothing that we can't do with the Refill with combinators (specially if you have animus in your arsenal). Plus as Selig said, you can't add the effects creatively as you can with the combinator.

Sorry for the rant. Carry on and don't mind this old fart.

• Information