New "Processed Pianos" RE from PH

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

27 Jun 2019

TheWalrus wrote:
27 Jun 2019
why not call it reason pianos still ?
processed pianos gives off the idea there not authentic sounding
Maybe because Radical Piano comes free with Reason 10, so they decided to rebrand the refill that this RE is based on to be more processed / special effectsy, etc (hence "Processed Pianos")? I dunno, just shooting ideas out there.

I actually like the GUI/UX of this - looks sweet. I already own Reason Pianos, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2019

TheWalrus wrote:
27 Jun 2019
why not call it reason pianos still ?
processed pianos gives off the idea there not authentic sounding
That's because when the OG refill was released, Propellerhead offered this disclaimer:

"The Reason Pianos ReFill does not seek to deliver a set of clinically perfect, scientifically reproduced concert pianos in a box. These are pianos you can use. Pianos to play. Pianos that simply sound good - without filling up your harddrive or chewing up all your RAM. These hypersampled pianos are sophisticated and highly responsive instruments - play softly or put some weight into it, and you'll feel it."

And then there was the whole thing about Reason Pianos not being for solo work, but rather "production" work. That means piano parts hidden in a mix and layered with effects.

And on top of that, a lot of the patches have major hiss issues. The solution as provided by the Props? Turn down the compression.

So the easiest way to re-release them while covering all this up now is to call them "Processed" Pianos.

Hi, my name is Hurricane, and I am a registered Reason Pianos Refill ex-user. :thumbs_up:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Auryn

27 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Jun 2019
And are those mics jsut mics or bottles of beer/wine?
So we have the beverages but still no ice dispenser or beverage holder... does anyone in Sweden realize how hot it is in the rest of Europe? ;)

Other than that, looks like a decent way to re-package the reason pianos refill, mod matrix and all.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2019

Is it just me (and maybe this has been said before) but isn’t “We’ve repackaged an old Refill and here’s a code you can use if you’ve already got the Refill but anyone can use it even if they don’t and that’ll let you buy it for €40 instead of €99 if you’re quick but we all know that it’s going to be half price in a sale shortly anyway and will probably just be added to a bundle which will also go on sale shortly. “ just the same old cynical marketing crap we’ve come to expect?
I’ve got the bass, drum and piano refills. I bought into the Bass and RDK REs because I like ‘em. This however I’ll be leaving alone.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Soeno

27 Jun 2019

guitfnky

27 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Is it just me (and maybe this has been said before) but isn’t “We’ve repackaged an old Refill and here’s a code you can use if you’ve already got the Refill but anyone can use it even if they don’t and that’ll let you buy it for €40 instead of €99 if you’re quick but we all know that it’s going to be half price in a sale shortly anyway and will probably just be added to a bundle which will also go on sale shortly. “ just the same old cynical marketing crap we’ve come to expect?
I’ve got the bass, drum and piano refills. I bought into the Bass and RDK REs because I like ‘em. This however I’ll be leaving alone.
if it’s repackaged in a more user-friendly format, I wouldn’t call it “the same old cynical marketing crap”. I bought the RDK RE because it sounds just as good as the original, but it’s easier to use. I have Addictive Drums 2, which rendered the original RDK pointless for me, due to its bloated Combinator “UI”. for me it was a quality-of-life upgrade cost, not giving in to the marketing. now I’ll actually use it again.

this looks cool, but I’m probably not going to buy it any time soon either. nothing wrong with catching it on sale (or avoiding it altogether) if the base price isn’t appealing enough.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2019

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jun 2019

if it’s repackaged in a more user-friendly format, I wouldn’t call it “the same old cynical marketing crap”. I bought the RDK RE because it sounds just as good as the original, but it’s easier to use. I have Addictive Drums 2, which rendered the original RDK pointless for me, due to its bloated Combinator “UI”. for me it was a quality-of-life upgrade cost, not giving in to the marketing. now I’ll actually use it again.

this looks cool, but I’m probably not going to buy it any time soon either. nothing wrong with catching it on sale (or avoiding it altogether) if the base price isn’t appealing enough.
I wasn’t really referring to the “repackaged” bit so much as the “special discount now” bit as being cynical marketing crap.
But absolutely... for me RDK and REB are much more user friendly and easy to use and that’s why I bought them. And I like them and I use them.
RPP just seems a bit blah! But that’s just my opinion (which apparently one is entitled to ha ha :) )
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Undistraction

27 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Babysteps.
This is what listening to your users looks like.

mon

27 Jun 2019

Undistraction wrote:
27 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Babysteps.
I guess they started working on the RE before the poll was even created.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

guitfnky

27 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jun 2019
I wasn’t really referring to the “repackaged” bit so much as the “special discount now” bit as being cynical marketing crap.
But absolutely... for me RDK and REB are much more user friendly and easy to use and that’s why I bought them. And I like them and I use them.
RPP just seems a bit blah! But that’s just my opinion (which apparently one is entitled to ha ha :) )
ah, gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood. I can see how it could seem that way. to me, it’s just sort of expected fluctuations in pricing/sale offers, but like you said, that’s just my personal opinion. :)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

27 Jun 2019

None of the audio demos have piano.

sleep1979

27 Jun 2019

Yeah i wont buy it i been trying alongside my xln piano that i got free and i prefer that tbh

QVprod

27 Jun 2019

TheWalrus wrote:
27 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
27 Jun 2019

That was a tongue in cheek response, since playing it like a real piano would indeed involve a sustain pedal. If you don't mean actually playing it like a real piano, sustain is automatable for any instrument in the sequencer
actually I just tried that and it doesn't add "REAL TIME " sustain which I think is what I and the other guy mean
diminished wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Right but why isn't there a "Release" knob next to the "Attack" one. And no "Sustain" slider thing like in Radical Piano. You can't even assign the mod wheel to such a parameter?!
The sustain slider on Radical Piano is a bit different. On a real piano, how much a sustain pedal is pressed affects the sound differently. Radical Piano models that behavior and continuous sustain pedals can take advantage of that . As a side effect, that allowed people to automate it without using a pedal. This is likely only responding to on/off messages so a slider wouldn't make any sense. I think its generally expected to use a sustain pedal for real time use of any piano library though (they're pretty inexpensive and work with most controllers). Nonetheless, since it does have a mod matrix, I'd agree it does make since to have it as a routing option.

Loque

27 Jun 2019

Undistraction wrote:
27 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Babysteps.
It wasn't developed by PH...
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

27 Jun 2019

Undistraction wrote:
27 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Babysteps.
Sure, because having released a new RE that was developed by a 3rd party somehow means they stopped listening to their users and halted development of Reason... :roll:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2019

Pretty obvious the piano was gonna come after the other two old refills were made as REs (bass/drums). But I honestly think this is probably better as a refill. To process pianos to sit in the mix, well, it is not a simple task, so you need a lot of freedom to layer and route things, beyond what this RE can do. I find the two refill Grand Pianos useful and the close + ribbon mic samples work nicely in a mix. The trick is to get a well defined and saturated attack so it is heard in the mix, and layer it with a well balanced body (4x para EQ needed) - I don't see how this RE will let you do that. Then I would have to make a combinator with FX and this RE anyhow, so that is pretty much the same as just using my refill.

I think they did the right thing though to pitch it as a Processed Piano, simply because it will not compete with its 4 layers, vs NI having 18 or so velocity layers. It does add something besides the Factory pianos + IDT8. But a "pro" piano VST for $99 and $50 on sales, or maybe around $25 if you buy Komplete and spread the cost, I think even at $50 it is a little high. $40 to get a new face plate if you have the refill, nah, I'm sitting this out. If you have no good pop/rock/house piano and want this, well I haven't seen the refill under $60, so if you can snap it up for $40, then maybe... Happy with the refill though, so I'm not complaining by it's sound, works in a mix, if processed right (and that has its value, for sure)...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Faastwalker

27 Jun 2019

miscend wrote:
27 Jun 2019
None of the audio demos have piano.
I thought it was just me! They are that processed they no longer sound anything like a piano! :?

boosto23

27 Jun 2019

I've been a long-time user of Reason Pianos Refill, but I did not receive an email with regards to upgrading to Processed Pianos RE. The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago, but my account has no mention of my refills. Can you guys help?

ProfessaKaos

28 Jun 2019

boosto23 wrote:
27 Jun 2019
I've been a long-time user of Reason Pianos Refill, but I did not receive an email with regards to upgrading to Processed Pianos RE. The Refill should technically have been registered, as I purchased the box-set a long time ago, but my account has no mention of my refills. Can you guys help?
I would try registering it and then send them an email.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Jun 2019

boosto23 wrote:
27 Jun 2019
If you’re not in their mailing list you won’t get an email (I’m pretty sure).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Reasonable man

28 Jun 2019

I say just buy it. It has Audio in and a nice echo delay by step. If you do weird ambient music then this is the job as piano is a prominant feature of most genres and especially ambient. I think the multisampling and velocity is enough for me usng it in the real world on a plastic midi controller.
Dont pay £100 for it later on or £50 in a sale. I made that mistake with reason bass (which i love) ...i didn't buy it when it came out first.
I'm generally a fan of all 3 of these prop refill/re products and appraoch them with the attitude of them being exclusive to reason therefore people using other daws and most likley expensive vst versions of drums pianos and bass etc will all sound similair wheras these things can be made to sound more unique.

I see these repackage jobs as a propellerhead tax (a bit like a tv license).. just pay the 40 Euro and they will always be there in your account waiting for you when you need em . If you finger drum or finger bass live then there invaluable as there actual samples and if you record band demos in Reason for other people then you can do that in seconds with these repavkaged jobs instead of the ordeal of finding/ dargging and loading refill combies of em.

Undistraction

28 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Undistraction wrote:
27 Jun 2019

I guess they started working on the RE before the poll was even created.
This poll says exactly the same thing that every other poll for the last few years has said. Thy didn't listen to them either.

Undistraction

28 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jun 2019
Undistraction wrote:
27 Jun 2019

Sure, because having released a new RE that was developed by a 3rd party somehow means they stopped listening to their users and halted development of Reason... :roll:
It doesn't matter who they paid to build it. They still spend money on pumping out more recycled content. That's their name above it in the bungled shop.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but you pop up on cue in every thread to defend Propellerhead like you were a semi-convincing bot.

reddust

28 Jun 2019

I wonder why this is already available as a rent to own article but the polystep sequencer is not, that's too bad

Magnus

28 Jun 2019

Interestingly they haven't discontinued the ReFill (yet) this time:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/pro ... on-pianos/

Whereas with the RDK and REB they removed the ReFills from the shop as soon as they brought the RE version out...

• Information