Umpf - does it sound worse than redrum in default?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tobypearce

19 Jun 2019

Strange thing tonight.

I was searching for a new kick drum and noticed that when I load the same kick into redrum and umpf they sound noticeably different.
Both devices are initialised, the rack is otherwise completely empty.

To my ears Umpf sounds much duller, like with a lpf (which isn't enabled). Sending the kick into the compression route brings back some bite, but it still doesn't sound the same as the straight kick being played through Redrum.

Can anyone replicate this or let me know what's going on?
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

eusti

19 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Strange thing tonight.

I was searching for a new kick drum and noticed that when I load the same kick into redrum and umpf they sound noticeably different.
Both devices are initialised, the rack is otherwise completely empty.

To my ears Umpf sounds much duller, like with a lpf (which isn't enabled). Sending the kick into the compression route brings back some bite, but it still doesn't sound the same as the straight kick being played through Redrum.

Can anyone replicate this or let me know what's going on?
Well, on my system the Redrum is - as a reset device - 1 db louder than the same sample played by Umpf (reset).
When I bring down the Redrum one db they sound the same here. But that is just checked with one sample.
Not sure if that's what you're experiencing.

D.

tobypearce

19 Jun 2019

Can you get them to cancel out if you invert the phase of one of them and play at the same time?
When I do this all the low end goes but I'm left with a significant click!

tobypearce

19 Jun 2019

Really odd.

I've uploaded the reason file - perhaps it's just my system, or something weird with the kick I used (from Native Instruments)

Now that I experiment further:

2 x Redrum pass the null test

Redrum and Kong - nearly but not quite, even when volume matched. Small difference though

Kong and Umpf - leaves a notable click on upper frequencies

Redrum and Umpd - leaves a notable click on upper frequencies

I'm now wondering why these 3 straightfoward drum sample players all sound a bit different. I'm not a puritan so I don't mind this, but the Umpf one sounds really out of whack and would discourage me from this RE.
Attachments
Kick drum issues.reason.zip
(125.14 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

eusti

19 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Can you get them to cancel out if you invert the phase of one of them and play at the same time?
When I do this all the low end goes but I'm left with a significant click!
Well, yes. But have you tried the same with Kong vs Redrum?
Because two identical devices (one with reversed polarity and one normal) null.
But neither Umpf nor Redrum nor Kong nor the WAV in an audio track nulls to either of the others...
I'm sure we'd have the same result if we added NN19 or NNXT as well...
Not sure why... Maybe the timing is slightly off... Or the volume... As - at least I - the volume was only adjusted kind of roughly via Selig Gain.

D.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

You forgot to embed the sample.

guitfnky

19 Jun 2019

if you want to test if they’ll null but they’re at different volumes, maybe bounce them and normalize before you see if they’ll null.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

Also: use the sequencer not Redrum. The sequencer has sample accurate timing, Redrum has some variation. If the samples still don't cancel out, then something else is going on.

eusti

19 Jun 2019

So, I just normalized both parts and they still don't null, but got closer.

D.

tobypearce

19 Jun 2019

This time with sample. Thanks!
Attachments
Kick drum issues.reason - with sample.zip
(260.4 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

I did my own tests and yes, I couldn't get it to null. I set velocity to 0 on all devices. Set all 3 Kong volume parameters to neutral values. The same with Umph. And none of the three devices null with each other, even when they are triggered from the sequencer. I think it could be a timing issue?

eusti

19 Jun 2019

dioxide wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I did my own tests and yes, I couldn't get it to null. I set velocity to 0 on all devices. Set all 3 Kong volume parameters to neutral values. The same with Umph. And none of the three devices null with each other, even when they are triggered from the sequencer. I think it could be a timing issue?
Even the same units didn't null?
When I created a Kong for instance, reset the device, loaded the sample, added a Selig Gain device, adjusted to what the first Umpf had shown (-7db), then duplicated the device/ track in the sequencer and reversed polarity in the copied device I got those identical devices to null.

D.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

Identical units null. I couldn't get different devices to null though.

eusti

19 Jun 2019

dioxide wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Identical units null. I couldn't get different devices to null though.
:thumbs_up:
Great! Same here! At least something consistent in this story! ;)

D.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

Okay. More weirdness.

I exported loops from each. Kong and Redrum seem accurate. Umpf is doing something weird to the transient. Kong is different from Redrum. As far as I can tell this is because Redrum downsamples the 24bit original to 16bit (yes it does this).
EDIT: Actually I'm unsure if Redrum still does this. I couldn't see any mention of it in the manual. Perhaps this was only in early versions of Reason.

Here are the screen grabs. If you look at the original sample you will see that Kong and Redrum are more or less correct.
Kong.png
Kong.png (25.28 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Redrum.png
Redrum.png (29.51 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Umpf.png
Umpf.png (32.33 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Last edited by dioxide on 19 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

Note that there's also a bit of DC offset at the start of the sample but the wave shape in Redrum and Kong is more or less correct. There must be some filtering going on in both though.
Original sample.png
Original sample.png (40.8 KiB) Viewed 4463 times

eusti

19 Jun 2019

It seems at least Umpf Club and Umpf Retro do null.

D.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

I think it could be a bug with the Attack in Umpf. The envelope can't be disabled.

eusti

19 Jun 2019

dioxide wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I think it could be a bug with the Attack in Umpf. The envelope can't be disabled.
Ok. But we seem not even able to make anything null as soon as we use a different device... Even the wav files in the sequencer aren't nulling against anything... At least here... Maybe the volume needs to be matched much more closely... Not sure...

At least the issues that I was hearing Redrum (reset) vs Umpf (reset) were resolved when I dropped the Redrum volume 1 db.

D.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2019

The dullness or a heard transient click can be from the very start of a sample if it starts at a zero crossing or not. Even the tiniest non-zero start can be heard.
You may wanna check if the sample start is truly at a zero and compare the behavior with a sample starting at zero vs one starting at non-zero to see if they behave the same or not. Just in case there is a difference in how the different units manage that (it is long shot but, you never know...)

I did some test myself and found a BUUUG in Redrum. In Gate mode it won't play the sample to the end, it chops it after the midi note ends. Kong plays it through. Also, to try null between Kong and Redrum, gave me sooo much inconsistency. Really weird.

This was my setup:
Put Kong and Redrum in a Combinator. Reset them both. Put single midi notes (C1, vel=100) in a midi clip in the sequencer to trigger both at the same time. Set Kong/Redrum vel to level=0.
Routed each via Selig Gain to gain adjust to the same peak value. Put these two Gains pan knobs to zero (i.e. 100% mono)
Routed Redrum to another Selig Gain for polarity invert only.
Merged the two audio streams with a Blamsoft Audio Merger.
Then another Selig Gain before it goes back to the Combinator to assure nothing was clipping.

Did a bounce in place and this is what came out!
You can see how the audio cancels out on the first hit. But only until the midi note ends, then Redrum goes silent and the audio jumps up as the Kong is still playing the sample.
Next hit, now they do not cancel out very well, third hit another but different again!

What the heck is this!? Pict shows Midi on top. Bounced audio that should have cancelled out.
Kong n Redrum.gif
Kong n Redrum.gif (8.36 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Even the wav files in the sequencer aren't nulling against anything... At least here...
I thought I'd have a go at this with Kong, as it looks like the best bet. I didn't get a 100% null but got fairly close. I needed to use Lectric Panda Amp instead of Selig Gain as it is more precise.
Attachments
Kong Seq nulltest.reason.zip
(186.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

dioxide

19 Jun 2019

Boombastix wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I did some test myself and found a BUUUG in Redrum. In Gate mode it won't play the sample to the end, it chops it after the midi note ends. Kong plays it through.
I think this is correct, although it is frustrating when bouncing patterns to the sequencer. When triggered from a pattern, Gate mode is like a one-shot mode, like in Kong. But once you bounce it to the sequencer, it acts like a Gate on a synth or sampler, where it is only triggered for the length of the note. Bounce Pattern to track from Redrum isn't smart enough to bounce down the note lengths.

Have a go at the Gate Mode and Decay in the NN-Nano Amp Env section. There are some similarities to Redrum. The difference is that Redrum has a sequencer and the Drum Length in Gate Mode is actually shortening the note/gate length of the sequencer trigger. If you connect it to a Skope you'll see how you can alter the length of the CV Gate output. Having it set to Decay mode just produces a click/trigger signal.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2019

dioxide wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Boombastix wrote:
19 Jun 2019
I did some test myself and found a BUUUG in Redrum. In Gate mode it won't play the sample to the end, it chops it after the midi note ends. Kong plays it through.
I think this is correct, although it is frustrating when bouncing patterns to the sequencer. When triggered from a pattern, Gate mode is like a one-shot mode, like in Kong. But once you bounce it to the sequencer, it acts like a Gate on a synth or sampler, where it is only triggered for the length of the note. Bounce Pattern to track from Redrum isn't smart enough to bounce down the note lengths.

Have a go at the Gate Mode and Decay in the NN-Nano Amp Env section. There are some similarities to Redrum. The difference is that Redrum has a sequencer and the Drum Length in Gate Mode is actually shortening the note/gate length of the sequencer trigger. If you connect it to a Skope you'll see how you can alter the length of the CV Gate output. Having it set to Decay mode just produces a click/trigger signal.
Redrum was not triggered from its own Redrum pattern, it was triggered by a midi note in the sequencer. Both Kong and Redrum was set to gate mode (and triggered by the very same midi note). But they behave differently, so one has to be wrong, no?

esselfortium

19 Jun 2019

Redrum has always behaved that way since dinosaur times, it's a feature.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2019

esselfortium wrote:
19 Jun 2019
Redrum has always behaved that way since dinosaur times, it's a feature.
Ahh, OK. That explains the odd gate behavior of Redrum. But it won't explain why the cancellation on some hits are good but on other hits it is clearly different. I can not see that I did anything wrong in the test, and I'm just triggering midi notes...

• Information