My Top (non - ITB) RE devices and why - a descriptive list of instruments, effects and players (but no utilities!)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stxlm

06 Jun 2019

I originally wrote this as a comment on reddit, but I thought it might be of interest here. My top picks from an extensive (160+, excluding free ones) RE collection. Feel free to add your own must have's - especially if you think there are better alternatives for some of my choices. I haven't tried *all* RE:s, after all!

Propellerhead Instruments:
  • Parsec is #1, because it's unique-ness (at time of release), has timbres I like, a vocoder mode better than the ITB vocoder and inspires experimentation. A solid Props synth.
  • Radical Keys - just as good as the Piano one, for solid electro-mechanical piano sounds.
  • The A-List drummers, great for a believable drum performance. But I'm running out of patterns, I have to reuse my faves a lot.
  • Complex-1 - my newest instrument. It's hard to master, I'm still just dabbling. But the tones and modulation (!) are unique in Reason terms.
Third Party Instruments:
  • ABL-3 - it's just such a believable emulation of a 303. I can never get enough of that sound.
  • VK-2 Viking - the thickest analogue tones. Also a programming beast, I haven't even begun to explore the modularity of it. I do not own the Legend, I can't motivate that purchase when I have VK-2.
  • Antidote - for instant EDM tones. It was the best 3rd party synth for a long time.
Propellerhead Effects:
  • Polar - it's easily the most versatile effect I've ever used. No vocal track without an ADT preset.
  • Rotor - again, a very believable emulation. Great for grit.
Third Party Effects:
  • Devastor2 - so versatile, and great at adding subtle thickness or total destruction. I use it for parallel processing on the full mix for almost every project. Just a tad.
  • The kHs Toolbox - a great collection of very fine effects. Gain is everywhere, for volume automation. Haas for stereo width. There's at least one kHs effect in every project.
  • ALL of the Softube products. But especially the Saturation Knob, the Tsar-1 reverb and the Tube-Tech. Tsar-1 is my one goto reverb.
  • ALL u-he Uhbik products - but especially Q. It's almost always in my master insert to limit frequency range.
Players - this is a short list:
  • Drum Sequencer - mostly for auditioning sounds, to be honest, to hear how they work in context. I do all my actual sequencing in the big one.
  • Kompulsion - for the odd pseudo-generative sequence. I love any device with a RAND button.
  • ST-100 - my secret weapon of late, to create the illusion of a person actually playing an instrument. Works on both guitar and electric piano.
Honorable VST mentions - I don't like to use VST:s, but there are a few I can't live without:
  • Illformed Glitch2 is unbeatable for IDM-ish tweakery. Best used in moderation.
  • MicroTonic is my favourite Drum synth. It has a sound, but it's a great sound.
  • Ozone 8 - but I mostly use it standalone. It's cheat mode for mastering.
I almost never use any third party utilities. And the only utility I always use is the ITB Pulsar - I just crave modulation.

• Information