Propellerhead’s Europa synth is coming to the Soundation online DAW

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Loque

06 Jun 2019

Never hear of Soundation before. It might be a competitor as soon as Reason WEB will be released, but good to seel RE there too.
Reason12, Win10

stratatonic

06 Jun 2019

joeyluck wrote:
06 Jun 2019
propellerheads-europa-synth-is-coming-to-the-soundation-online-daw-and-this-could-just-be-the-start
"will be available on subscription for $4 a month or $29 a year."

Soundation 6.99 or 9.99 per month.
Never heard of Soundation before. How do you record audio? Wouldn't the latency be too much?

stratatonic

06 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2019
It might be a competitor as soon as Reason WEB will be released, but good to seel RE there too.
I suppose you have to explore every possible revenue stream available. Why not...

EnochLight

06 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Never heard of Soundation before. How do you record audio? Wouldn't the latency be too much?
The latency on the current web version of Europa isn't horrible, actually, but not that great - maybe 1024 samples? Using my QWERTY keyboard as a controller, it's difficult to measure though. Try the web version here and see how it works (scroll down a little and click "Try Now in Your Browser"). Plucks work best:

https://www.propellerheads.com/europa
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

06 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jun 2019
stratatonic wrote:
06 Jun 2019
The latency on the current web version of Europa isn't horrible, actually, but not that great - maybe 1024 samples? Using my QWERTY keyboard as a controller, it's difficult to measure though. Try the web version here and see how it works (scroll down a little and click "Try Now in Your Browser"). Plucks work best:

https://www.propellerheads.com/europa
Well, I had asked about latency for recording audio... :redface: Who knows? A lot would depend on your connection and ISP and sound card.

Anyways, personally I'd rather just have local software. I'll be avoiding subscription models as long as possible.

ScuzzyEye

06 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Well, I had asked about latency for recording audio... :redface: Who knows? A lot would depend on your connection and ISP and sound card.
The DAW is running in the browser, not on the server. Audio is recorded/rendered locally, so the ISP will have nothing to do with it.

EnochLight

06 Jun 2019

stratatonic wrote:
06 Jun 2019

Anyways, personally I'd rather just have local software. I'll be avoiding subscription models as long as possible.
Right, I was just using the current web version of Europa as baseline. I couldn't record audio at the current latency that Europa WEB-RE runs at - it would be close to impossible to get a decent performance out of while live tracking to other instruments, etc.

If they can't solve latency with audio (or presumably file size), I don't think I could ever consider a web-based DAW as an option.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

06 Jun 2019

Soundation is available for many years now. Part of PowerFX. Also located in Stockholm.

diminished
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

What can I do with free account?

You can use all our Free Library sounds, virtual instruments and audio effects. The only restriction is that you can't import or record audio, export tracks with automation and use an external MIDI controller.
Yeah I'll pass. Or route my output back into my input. No I think I'll pass.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

joeyluck

07 Jun 2019

I've used Audiotool off and on since it debuted. It's fun and I suggest checking out. I haven't used Soundation before... But these browser-based music making apps have been around for a good amount of time. I think Audiotool since 2008 and Soundation maybe soon after in 2009? Audiotool always performed well for me in Chrome.

EnochLight

07 Jun 2019

joeyluck wrote:
07 Jun 2019
I've used Audiotool off and on since it debuted. It's fun and I suggest checking out. I haven't used Soundation before... But these browser-based music making apps have been around for a good amount of time. I think Audiotool since 2008 and Soundation maybe soon after in 2009? Audiotool always performed well for me in Chrome.
Has their revenue model always been subscriptions? Just wondering how they've stayed afloat for so long. I'd never heard of them until this announcement.

joeyluck

07 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
07 Jun 2019
joeyluck wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Has their revenue model always been subscriptions? Just wondering how they've stayed afloat for so long. I'd never heard of them until this announcement.
I'm not sure. I've only used Audiotool.

EnochLight

07 Jun 2019

joeyluck wrote:
07 Jun 2019
For free? Do you have to sub?

joeyluck

07 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
07 Jun 2019
joeyluck wrote:
07 Jun 2019
For free? Do you have to sub?
Not for Audiotool unless it has changed since I last used it.

• Information