Compression REs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DParris

05 Jun 2019

Reason Users,

What are your favorite compressors in the RE format, and how do you like to use them? Which, on the other hand, don't impress you that much?

Thanks!

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

FET (all in, parallel comp) and the SSL is really all need. The McDSP ones are nice too. My favorite maximizers/limiters are Kratos2 and LoudMax (VST)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

RE-2A is actually the only one i ever use and unfortunately it’s not available any more so sorry for mentioning it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
RE-2A is actually the only one i ever use and unfortunately it’s not available any more so sorry for mentioning it.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

sleep1979

05 Jun 2019

No love for lab ones mace?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

FRG on drums and bass. My favorite for sure. Love it.
RE-2A. Great on leads.

They're both very simple to use and they just work with very little effort.

Mace on the other hand. Tried it and gave it a couple of chances to grow on me. Didn't like it at all. Even though this one is probably the most feature packed RE compressor with lots and lots of options, I simply couldn't get any results I was happy with. But other people seem to love it so... One man's trash...

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure it sounds better than it looks (sorry LabOne!)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

That Kuassa one is quite nice on guitars. And I did have a thing for FXpansions ChanComp for quite a while.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

two shoes

05 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
i use Mace all the time - none of the other RE compressors come close in terms of flexibility and if I could only keep one it would be the easy choice.

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2019

I can't get past the UI on Mace. Just... horrible. I do use it sometimes for left field fx like stereo compression, but that's about it

I like RE-2A for colour, Softube FET for snap, McDSP 670 for transparent, Selig Leveler for vox, also DynaRage is fun for crush kill destroy type applications

Mostly though, since Reason started hosting VST the first comp I reach for is Klanghelm DC8C, which is the king of Swiss army knife compressors. Put that together with their MJUC and I suspect you've got (almost) all the compressor you'll ever need

sleep1979

05 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure it sounds better than it looks (sorry LabOne!)
Just wondering i have a few of his rack extensions , and there good that one and the red queen are the worst looking i must admit , its weird how sometimes we judge things on looks isnt it , like people dont go for synth1 even though its better than some paid synths , Lab ones re are really awesome plug ins though including mace .

sleep1979

05 Jun 2019

I wonder if lab one matt fresha would update the ui if more people asked ?

two shoes

05 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2019
RE-2A. Great on leads.

Mace on the other hand. Tried it and gave it a couple of chances to grow on me. Didn't like it at all. Even though this one is probably the most feature packed RE compressor with lots and lots of options, I simply couldn't get any results I was happy with. But other people seem to love it so... One man's trash...
Do you have any experience using a compressor with those type controls? It's a different deal than the McDSP comps or RE-2A but it's definitely capable of excellent results on a variety of material in my opinion. This youtube video deals with a lot of the technical aspects of compression and might be helpful - it uses FabFilter's Pro C 2, but everything will apply to Mace.

mon

05 Jun 2019

My favorite dynamic processor in Reason Is Selig Leveler. It's not classic compressor but upward compressor which achieves similar results. Highly recommend to demo it, if you still haven't. Very easy device to operate, capable from very subtle to really slammed results. It is very well optimized also.
Last edited by mon on 05 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

BRIGGS

05 Jun 2019

Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (89.35 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
r11s

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

05 Jun 2019

We are listening ;) code monkeys going to be busy....

djadalaide

05 Jun 2019

Red Rock ModularRE is my favorite for now. 2 really nice compressors built-in plus some other goodies.

motuscott

05 Jun 2019

Oh Lord,
Compression junkie in remission.
AMA, the answer is no.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BRIGGS

05 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Oh Lord,
Compression junkie in remission.
AMA, the answer is no.
I have a problem. :puf_smile:
r11s

motuscott

05 Jun 2019

mor compression!!

motuscott

05 Jun 2019

Works on massive knife wounds as well as audio files.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

two shoes wrote:
05 Jun 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2019
RE-2A. Great on leads.

Do you have any experience using a compressor with those type controls? It's a different deal than the McDSP comps or RE-2A but it's definitely capable of excellent results on a variety of material in my opinion. This youtube video deals with a lot of the technical aspects of compression and might be helpful - it uses FabFilter's Pro C 2, but everything will apply to Mace.
I understand it's different than the McDSP comps and RE-2A and it's capabable of many other things. I watched their videos in the shop. But if I can't get the usual controls (attack , release, ratio, threshold) to sound good to me then it's simply not for me. I don't like a compressor where I have to work for it.
When I trialed it I mostly tried adjusting the basic stuff myself, but I also tried out some patches and like I said I just wasn't too excited about what I heard.
Sorry but looking at a video of another compressor won't convince me. Thor has filters with drive, freq and res too, it doesn't mean it's gonna sound as good as the Legends filter, if you know what I mean.

Like I said many other people love the Mace so that's great. We're all different.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

Dcam Chan Comp, if you want no transient to pass. Good on e.g. guitar if you have sharp attacks that needs taming. Dcam Envelope can also work (or add after) if you need to really fade in attacks.
FET if you want a transient to pass, followed with heavy compression, kinda for that FET smack. But I actually use Lindell Channel X since it has a super nice FET comp with many extras.
RE-2A for transparent leveling, such as vocals. But I actually use IK White as my go to LA2 style comp.
kHs limiter for a no frills channel limiter.
Pulverizer for that Shure woof/dist. But I actually use Soundtoys DevilLoc.
Master limiter in RE - none, not since I got IK Stealth
GClip for clipping limiter. But I actually use Boz LittleClipper
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MannequinRaces

06 Jun 2019

Lectric Panda DYN-4 - hit the random button for more out there compression effects. Pulveriser - my go to compressor.

• Information