Redundant musician. The future is now.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

06 Jun 2019

music is like making a meal, putting the ingredients in. although I still love to bang on my guitars, bass, and sing. some of that energy can't be done otherwise. it's human energy.

I love also the minimal, the sound design type of stuff. it all sounds like music to me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Jun 2019
music is like making a meal, putting the ingredients in. although I still love to bang on my guitars, bass, and sing. some of that energy can't be done otherwise. it's human energy.

I love also the minimal, the sound design type of stuff. it all sounds like music to me.
Good analogy. I always think that the ingredients you leave out are equally important. It’s the bits between the bits that can make the song sound great :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Marco Raaphorst

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Jun 2019

Good analogy. I always think that the ingredients you leave out are equally important. It’s the bits between the bits that can make the song sound great :).
yes, right. the space between the notes are very important. I always think that timing is a major thing. the main thing when I am playing guitar or bass. even playing bad notes doesn't suck as much as bad timing imo :D

zabukowski

06 Jun 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2019

yes, right. the space between the notes are very important. I always think that timing is a major thing. the main thing when I am playing guitar or bass. even playing bad notes doesn't suck as much as bad timing imo :D
I agree 100%.

Regarding bad notes, this quote says it all:

"It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong. - Miles Davis"

Marco Raaphorst

06 Jun 2019

zabukowski wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
06 Jun 2019

I agree 100%.

Regarding bad notes, this quote says it all:

"It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong. - Miles Davis"
miles was right. love miles.

Reasonable man

06 Jun 2019

Music though, live music performance, feeling ,expression, direction, musianship etc and.....on the other hand... mixing, programming patterns, sequences, probabilities,clock divisions,multi-modulations etc... thery're different worlds to me. I think it can take alot of time to marry those two worlds.People have done it but i do think however these two worlds initillay have more differences than simularities . Marrying them successfully and in a meaningfull is diffcult to do and takes alot of compromise and learning.

Its why the beatles are such a important historical band , marrying technology, experimentation and music theory the way they did ...on a four track tape machine.

NekujaK

06 Jun 2019

Cool tools to assist with music-making are all very well and fine, but the problem for me is I find trying to make music with them to be absolutely mind-numbingly BORING beyond belief. I quickly lose interest and move on. They can be useful as idea starters or occasional fillers, but the real joy of making music, for me at least, is the opportunity to exercise my inner creativity and self-expression.

I totally get that for people with little or no background in music theory or composition, these automatic music generators can provide some sense of satisfaction, but ultimately, the time spent twiddling with these gadgets might be better spent enrolling in some music classes and expanding your musical vocabulary so you can start making your own truly inspired, totally original, earth-shaking musical statements!

But that's just me...
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

nooomy

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
You know what? With all these scale and note and chord correctors and filters and pattern rhythm makers and arps and randomizers and echos and sequencers I don’t think I’ll ever need to actually sit down and write a song ever again.
The future is now.
Do you think the same about loops? Dose loops makes that you never have to sit down and write a song again??

motuscott

06 Jun 2019

your laptop will do that for you, just relax, this won't hurt a bit.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

4filegate

07 Jun 2019

(Opinions)Tastes are like arseholes - everybody has one.” (But it's not always wise to air them in public.)
adapted version James Blunt/twitter

De gustibus non est disputandum, or de gustibus non disputandum est, is a Latin maxim meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it should not be disputed/discussed"). The phrase is commonly rendered in English as "There is no accounting for taste(s)." The implication is that everyone's personal preferences are merely subjective opinions that cannot be right or wrong, so they should never be argued about as if they were. Sometimes the phrase is expanded as De gustibus et coloribus... referring to tastes and colors. The original quotation is an ancient Latin adage, i.e. Roman, and discussed by many philosophers and economists.
Wikipedia

Certification from one source or another seems to be the most important thing to people all over the world. … People are just waiting around to get certified.
Frank Zappa

Lotto 6/49 with EXTRA winning number vs. twelve-note composition
YT/masterlab academy

A person with brown eyes does not see the world "darker" than a person with bright (for example, blue) eyes.
Greek mythology: Iris is the goddess of the rainbow

O1B

07 Jun 2019

it takes a lot of artistry to make a song that you want to listen to again and again.
Sometimes, songwriting can be a long and arduous struggle. Other times, it seems to just fall from the heavens right onto your lap.

Name a GREAT SONG, Ill show you the video of the artist or producer saying they churned it out in 5 minutes.
But, I suppose your tastes are maybe HIGHER than these Hit Songs:
- Beastie Boys, ‘(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party!)’ – 5 mins
- The Beatles, ‘Yesterday’ – less than a minute

- Kanye West, ‘All Falls Down’ – 15 mins

- Led Zeppelin, ‘Rock And Roll’ – 30 mins
- The Knack, ‘My Sharona’ – 15 mins
- The Rolling Stones, ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’ – 40 mins
The 10 minute HIP HOP hits are KNOWN.

Here's Kanye... on being NOT BEING A MUSICIAN..... hit song, though.... 15 minutes... new theory needed.

And, I understand that the Last Generation rarely sees 'Authenticity' in the next/coming Generations. The Art of Making music has NEVER changed. We humans just try to 'pigeon-hole it.'

MarkTarlton wrote:
05 Jun 2019
yet very few songs I hear made with these tools make me want to listen to them. it takes a lot of artistry to make a song that you want to listen to again and again. if it were really that easy everyone would have great tracks...not to mention knowing how to arrange and mix/master :)

MarkTarlton

07 Jun 2019

O1B wrote:
07 Jun 2019
Sometimes, songwriting can be a long and arduous struggle. Other times, it seems to just fall from the heavens right onto your lap.
It doesn't matter if it takes 3 minutes, you still have to have it in you. some people get lucky every once in a while, but the majority of tunes don't come out like that. you can ask every one of these artists and they will say the same thing.

• Information