Redundant musician. The future is now.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

You know what? With all these scale and note and chord correctors and filters and pattern rhythm makers and arps and randomizers and echos and sequencers I don’t think I’ll ever need to actually sit down and write a song ever again.
The future is now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

05 Jun 2019

Yes, we have the press-one-button-hit-machine in our hands...
Reason12, Win10

ExianNYC

05 Jun 2019

Making "music" is easy. But making music that makes you feel something - that is still hard.

mjxl

05 Jun 2019

I'm already done with the next 16 albums tbh

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

Now all we need are monorails and pills with 16” pizzas inside.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

05 Jun 2019

Last edited by EdGrip on 05 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

boingy

05 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
You know what? With all these scale and note and chord correctors and filters and pattern rhythm makers and arps and randomizers and echos and sequencers I don’t think I’ll ever need to actually sit down and write a song ever again.
The future is now.
It's kinda true but have you heard the sort of stuff like Band-In-A-Box churns out?
Chords, melody, "solo" etc. All the elevator music you'll ever need.
Computer generated music will only ever appeal to computers.

sleep1979

05 Jun 2019

ExianNYC wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Making "music" is easy. But making music that makes you feel something - that is still hard.
Plus1

MarkTarlton

05 Jun 2019

yet very few songs I hear made with these tools make me want to listen to them. it takes a lot of artistry to make a song that you want to listen to again and again. if it were really that easy everyone would have great tracks...not to mention knowing how to arrange and mix/master :)

motuscott

05 Jun 2019

Songwritig, smongwririting. Amirite kids?
For my next Britney Sphere's style income generating soylant green megahit...
gimme a second here..
seriously I've almost cleared it
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2019

Nothing's really changed. If you're a decent musician, you'll make decent music with or without these devices. If you're a mediocre musician, then you'll still make mediocre music no matter what tools you use

MannequinRaces

06 Jun 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Nothing's really changed. If you're a decent musician, you'll make decent music with or without these devices. If you're a mediocre musician, then you'll still make mediocre music no matter what tools you use
Agree 100%.

boingy

06 Jun 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
05 Jun 2019
...not to mention knowing how to arrange and mix/master :)
I'm heading slightly off topic here but that last bit you said got me thinking. You can get software that generates music, with variable results, and software that will master, also with variable results, but has anyone seen any software that attempts to mix tracks to get to a basic mix? I'm not talking about adding the final magic but the basic panning, EQ-ing, compressing and levels should be possible if the software knows what each track is (bass, drums, vocal etc) and what the genre of music is.

Oquasec

06 Jun 2019

Honestly I don't think music is saturated like they say. It takes years to get good at and once you start migrating to other platforms it really starts to narrow itself out :)
Last edited by Oquasec on 06 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
You did recognize a high level of irony in my original statement I’m assuming :).
Not redundant. Just resting.

...or maybe my computer just writes better songs than your computer :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

altron

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
The future is now.
And all your music will sound bland and boring like current 99% of mainstream music.
That's because computers don't have a soul.

Use a sophisticated arp or sequencer as a helper for some backing lines or as a starting idea maybe. But purely generative music is absolutely dull.
Trap is where music goes to die.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

altron wrote:
06 Jun 2019
MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
The future is now.
And all your music will sound bland and boring like current 99% of mainstream music.

Use a sophisticated arp or sequencer as a helper for some backing lines or as a starting idea maybe. But purely generative music is absolutely dull.
Again...I was being ironic. Guess I’m no good at it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

Generative music can be dull. The skill maybe lies in construction of the combinators which generate the music and how the sequences are developed upon. “Musical architecture”?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

06 Jun 2019

Someone should make a Player with the standard chord progressions from all this pop hits of the last 20 years.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Someone should make a Player with the standard chord progressions from all this pop hits of the last 20 years.
I’d buy 2 but only if they updated it with Django Reinhardt phrases and variations.

And a Miles Davis automater.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

altron

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2019
altron wrote:
06 Jun 2019

Again...I was being ironic. Guess I’m no good at it.
I was being cynical. I get your point. It's just that whenever a new software is released that tries to replace the difficult but important role of humans in music composition I approach is with a straw of curiosity but with a barn full of skepticism.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Loque

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Loque wrote:
06 Jun 2019
I’d buy 2 but only if they updated it with Django Reinhardt phrases and variations.

And a Miles Davis automater.
Beside the 3 or 4 chords, there should be enough room for more :-D

And maybe the Player can have a update or extension, for the last 40 or 60 years chord progressions...
Reason12, Win10

zabukowski

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
The future is now.
I don't care ... trying to find the holly tone !!! :D :D :D
Attachments
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (71.01 KiB) Viewed 2108 times

antic604

06 Jun 2019

boingy wrote:
06 Jun 2019
...has anyone seen any software that attempts to mix tracks to get to a basic mix? I'm not talking about adding the final magic but the basic panning, EQ-ing, compressing and levels should be possible if the software knows what each track is (bass, drums, vocal etc) and what the genre of music is.
We're getting close:

BRIGGS

06 Jun 2019

Working out 'parts', is never going away.
r11s

• Information