Propellerheads PolyStep Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

05 Jun 2019

two shoes wrote:
05 Jun 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
05 Jun 2019
I’ll have to give this player a trial, hopefully it pops up in the rewards :)
No device with a normal price below $99 has been included in the "rewards shop" to date. Also, after initial promises that the products in the rewards shop would change and rotate on a regular basis, which they have since reiterated but not delivered on, there has not been a single rotation of new products since rewards was introduced. This program was a gimmick designed to drive PH's most profitable customers to spend even more in the shop which they crassly disguised as a "rewards" program designed to benefit loyal customers. When customers immediately saw through the gimmick and called it out for what it was Propellerhead abandoned the program immediately in favor of "rent-to-own" (another, more successful gimmick designed to get all customers to buy REs for fake anchor prices instead of the real "sale" price) and has not touched it since. You can tell how much they really value their most loyal customers.
I believe there was a few times that they added stuff in rewards. Because the first iteration I literally owned all the devices. I think the second or third is when they added lectric pandas torsion FX unit.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

05 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
m.arthur wrote:
05 Jun 2019
As ever, Reason aims even harder at being the "DAW for non-musicians." And they'd been already aiming pretty hard that way (at least as far back as when the Playschool Brand Players first appeared).

"Wow, I can make MUSIC without ever learning how to be a MUSICIAN! RAD!"

I remember when Reason was all about being modular. That was the thing: the rack, the cables. Oh those were the days. It was a nerd playground. Now we have vastly superior modular playgrounds like Reaktor, Voltage, VCV....and Reason is just the kiddie pool with the giant, soft inflatable toddler toys.
Bullshit. Reason is the same it ever was but it's 5000% more these days. Go crazy with modular and CV if you want to or load any of the VST you mentioned.
Since when are more tools a bad thing??
Reason was a synth rack went recording/daw

Most of the past workflow is the same as it always was but with a new feel

New tools, modern synths, and effects plus vst is what everyone always wanted. Saying that Reason is just a toy is kind of silly. Please tell that to cookie monsta.
Or find a YouTube video of a toddler explaining why audio to CV is even possible and can be done in Thor.

Lol it’s all just a tool/environment. I’m just happy that they have picked up the pace with updates
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

dvdrtldg

05 Jun 2019

m.arthur wrote:
05 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019

Bullshit. Reason is the same it ever was but it's 5000% more these days. Go crazy with modular and CV if you want to or load any of the VST you mentioned.
Since when are more tools a bad thing??

Same as it ever was to a fault, with UI and workflow from 2004 in 2019. You're applauding that? Ok then..... Other DAWs evolve. Reason tacks on some playschool toys to make it 'easier' for newbs to write their next big hit (right...). If they'd actually bothered to update, expand and improve on the core, rack-based, modular system they started with, it might really be something special. Sigh. The graphics are so out of date it's a joke. Scrolling the rack is like wrestling with Corel Draw circa 1996.

They've actually added some nice new synths, I'll be fair. I especially like Complex-1. But the players are junk. The drum sequencer can't even chain the patterns, you have to go over to arrangement and lay it all out there. Ridiculous. At least the new poly sequencer fixed that insane oversight. Every action from every player is "you could learn to do this yourself, but why bother?" They also seriously look like they were designed for four year olds. I wish I was exaggerating, but you know I'm not. On that point anyway :twisted:
We get it man. You're a pro. We're all very grateful that you dropped by to dicksplain Reason's limitations

BRIGGS

05 Jun 2019

Since Monotone was free...soooo hard not to buy!! :puf_smile:
r11s

Jmax

06 Jun 2019

After testing I can say this is a very nice player.

I like the 4 bar sequence/phrase element. The patches seem like good starting points.

A quick notes to track and you've got yourself a nice little song idea with some easy tweaks in the sequencer.
I was just warmer up to Robotic Bean's player and actually really enjoy that as well. But this seems like a cut above with the extra features.

I won't buy this for anything less then 50 percent off. So to enjoy the free trial until that happens!

Congrats on the release props!
And Robotic Bean keep on updating, you've got a beautiful device as well. I was very close to buying it!

antic604

06 Jun 2019

craste wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Am I missing something here? I thought that the Scales and Chords player allows you to do this?

Why would you buy this over Loading scales and chords on top of a synth and jamming on that?

Or am I totally not getting it and this device is aimed at me as the only chords I’m familiar with are the type you wear!

What does this do that the player mentioned above doesn’t do?
S&C basically serves two purposes: restrict the notes you're feeding it to selected key & scale or create chords from single note input. That's it.

PolyStep is completely different thing. Say you've created some nice backbone for a track: drums, bass line (e.g. in Sequences), some chords (e.g. using S&C in single note mode). Now you need some melody or riff, but run out of ideas. You put a string of notes (say all C4, which is the root of your bass & chords), that just represent the rhythm of your melody. Now, you can select some of those notes and randomize them, you can add repeats, conditional triggers, make simple or complex chords / strums /arps out of some of those notes - all this while still being restricted to key & scale. You can then copy the riff to other 3 Variation slots, alter each of them and then turn on random launching of Variations, so you've no idea in whihh order they'll be played. Finally, you can send note CV from "orchestrator" track to Sequences (bass), S&C (chords) and PolyStep (riff / melody) for all of them to be transposed the same way, so you can easily make chord progressions that way...

Sure, you obviously can do all of this without using any Player device, especially if you can just sit down & play what you have in your head. But for everyone else this can be a good way to get inspiration, be pushed in avenues normally not visited or help get out of writer's block.

So yeah, it's very different from S&C, but - like that device - it's not necessary and just a tool that can help in certain situations.

tobypearce

06 Jun 2019

This device is fantastic.
I have several of the other similar ones but this one nails it.
Please though: SHUFFLE!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

antic604

06 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
06 Jun 2019
Won't it obey to the ReGroove Mixer settings? I never used it, but that would make sense.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

06 Jun 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
m.arthur wrote:
05 Jun 2019

Same as it ever was to a fault, with UI and workflow from 2004 in 2019. You're applauding that? Ok then..... Other DAWs evolve. Reason tacks on some playschool toys to make it 'easier' for newbs to write their next big hit (right...). If they'd actually bothered to update, expand and improve on the core, rack-based, modular system they started with, it might really be something special. Sigh. The graphics are so out of date it's a joke. Scrolling the rack is like wrestling with Corel Draw circa 1996.

They've actually added some nice new synths, I'll be fair. I especially like Complex-1. But the players are junk. The drum sequencer can't even chain the patterns, you have to go over to arrangement and lay it all out there. Ridiculous. At least the new poly sequencer fixed that insane oversight. Every action from every player is "you could learn to do this yourself, but why bother?" They also seriously look like they were designed for four year olds. I wish I was exaggerating, but you know I'm not. On that point anyway :twisted:
We get it man. You're a pro. We're all very grateful that you dropped by to dicksplain Reason's limitations
You gotta admit that "Corel Draw circa 1996" comment was spot on. Reason really needs a UI and workflow overhaul.

diminished
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
06 Jun 2019
dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2019

You gotta admit that "Corel Draw circa 1996" comment was spot on. Reason really needs a UI and workflow overhaul.
Yeah but Corel Draw was fucking ace. I made banners with it for geocities homepages.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

06 Jun 2019

06 Jun 2019
Was it? What Reason's GUI is missing is high-res assets, internal scaling and GPU-acceleration (I'm sure Corel had at least 2 of the 3).

I hope they won't change the overall look and aesthetic design, because it wouldn't be Reason anymore.

Loque

06 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
06 Jun 2019
06 Jun 2019

Yeah but Corel Draw was fucking ace. I made banners with it for geocities homepages.
I dunno what some ppl have problems with the GUI. Yea, it might be better in 2020, but if i have a look onto other GUIs of DAWs and VSTs, i just cannot follow the things going on the designers brain. Its always something between total boring and WTH crazy sh!t is this? And some ppl might think, only if it is complicated and needs 6 weeks to understand, than it must be pro!

Here are just a view examples which just make me "iieeeek!!!":

Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

I’m not saying right or wrong here but why does Reason need to look nicer? I’ve had some pretty ugly guitars in my time but they still sounded great. I maybe just don’t understand how better graphics would make it better. This is not a statement of intent. Merely a question from me who doesn’t understand why.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mon

06 Jun 2019

I like the look of it. Nice colors and not cluttered. Everything is laid neatly and there is resemblance of hardware setup. What else could I ask for? It seems to me that it's mostly personal preference than a real problem.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

antic604

06 Jun 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 Jun 2019
I’m not saying right or wrong here but why does Reason need to look nicer? I’ve had some pretty ugly guitars in my time but they still sounded great. I maybe just don’t understand how better graphics would make it better. This is not a statement of intent. Merely a question from me who doesn’t understand why.
It's not about "nicer", for me at least it isn't.

IMO Reason - sequencer, rack & mixer - is the most beautiful DAW in terms of aesthetic, color choices (for white theme at least), tasteful design. Where it falls short is low-res, lack of internal scaling and no GPU acceleration. I want it to look the way it does, but be sharper and faster. If you have a PC and 4K screen, then set Windows scaling to 150% and then compare Reason to any of DAWs supporting high-DPI, like Live, Bitwig, Cubase or Studio One. It's a - literally! - generational gap.

And lastly, some people - me included - find it hard to work with ugly tools regardless of how good they are otherwise. That's why I'm very picky about REs and even if they do something I want, I'll refuse to get them because I'd feel embarrassed seeing them in rack (best example - Carve EQ). Actually I feel that way also for Rytmik and almost there for Monotone, because their GUI design is so lazy and uninspired... I'm aware they were "ported" from Compact where they needed to be simple & plain, but come on - there's barely any detail grounding the devices in physical reality like we have for almost every other native or RE device; it's like a blank slab of some fabric with buttons, knobs & sliders bolted on. I mean just compare Rytmik to ReDrum or Dr. Octo! The former looks like a project a high-schooler forgot he had and completed while waiting for a bus... But I digress ;) :P

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Jun 2019

Hahaha :). I get it. You may remember from some time back that I too am a GUI snob :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

06 Jun 2019

I think the sequencer and the transport look great. The mixer is fine, but needs the option to collapse/hide/group folder channels as discussed. Dark mode would be good because I think a good many users have the rest of Reason in dark mode for the sake of their eyes and the mixer might as well match.

I agree that aspects of the rack, especially the cabling, are due a refresh and an update, and especially in regard to modern resolutions.
If you're happy with it as it is, good on ya! But if the ugly guitar could be better to look at and still sound great, might as well, right? There's no reason not to.

My UI pet peeve with Reason, I've mentioned it before, is the tiny arrow elements you have to precision-land the mouse pointer on to expand or collapse elements in the rack and the sequencer. Worse if you're working off a track pad. I'm sure other DAWs have the same fault, but there's no need for it, mate.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

06 Jun 2019

tobypearce wrote:
06 Jun 2019
This device is fantastic.
I have several of the other similar ones but this one nails it.
It has Shuffle tho. Selectable on the Rate menu (= 1/16th notes shuffled according to Global Shuffle setting in ReGroove mixer).

/ LudvigC

Wobbleburger

06 Jun 2019

dvdrtldg wrote:
05 Jun 2019
m.arthur wrote:
05 Jun 2019

L O L - well said
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

pushedbutton

06 Jun 2019

Looking forward to using this, but I can wait.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

06 Jun 2019

I don't want Reason to fully change, and I certainly wouldn't want it to look like that Butch Vig Vocals interface. Jesus.... But I'm hoping for some sort of scaling, it's kinda shitty having all this resolution and having to bump Windows up to 150% just to see stuff in the rack. This stuff shouldn't even be an issue in 2019, and will be a determining factor in whether I continue upgrading Reason past 10.

reddust

06 Jun 2019

mon wrote:
06 Jun 2019
I like the look of it. Nice colors and not cluttered. Everything is laid neatly and there is resemblance of hardware setup. What else could I ask for? It seems to me that it's mostly personal preference than a real problem.
For me design matters, but it's not as important as functionality of course. I have had ugly guitars, nice guitars and also neutral, and I can tell it made a slight influence on what I composed or which inspiration I became while playing them. With DAWs and RE's or VSTi's is similar for me, it's something called synesthesia. I understand it's not everyone's case but not caring about how an instrument or a DAW looks isn't either. That's the nice thing in music as in general in the world, that we are different from each other :)

mon

06 Jun 2019

reddust wrote:
06 Jun 2019
mon wrote:
06 Jun 2019
For me design matters, but it's not as important as functionality of course. I have had ugly guitars, nice guitars and also neutral, and I can tell it made a slight influence on what I composed or which inspiration I became while playing them. With DAWs and RE's or VSTi's is similar for me, it's something called synesthesia. I understand it's not everyone's case but not caring about how an instrument or a DAW looks isn't either. That's the nice thing in music as in general in the world, that we are different from each other :)
I also appreciate the good graphics (used to work as graphic designer and I am photography enthusiast). It just happens that i really like the look of Reason. I actually preffer it than almost any other DAW i ever encountered, except maybe Renoise, which has totally different concept.

craste

06 Jun 2019

antic604 wrote:
06 Jun 2019
craste wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Am I missing something here? I thought that the Scales and Chords player allows you to do this?

Why would you buy this over Loading scales and chords on top of a synth and jamming on that?

Or am I totally not getting it and this device is aimed at me as the only chords I’m familiar with are the type you wear!

What does this do that the player mentioned above doesn’t do?
S&C basically serves two purposes: restrict the notes you're feeding it to selected key & scale or create chords from single note input. That's it.

PolyStep is completely different thing. Say you've created some nice backbone for a track: drums, bass line (e.g. in Sequences), some chords (e.g. using S&C in single note mode). Now you need some melody or riff, but run out of ideas. You put a string of notes (say all C4, which is the root of your bass & chords), that just represent the rhythm of your melody. Now, you can select some of those notes and randomize them, you can add repeats, conditional triggers, make simple or complex chords / strums /arps out of some of those notes - all this while still being restricted to key & scale. You can then copy the riff to other 3 Variation slots, alter each of them and then turn on random launching of Variations, so you've no idea in whihh order they'll be played. Finally, you can send note CV from "orchestrator" track to Sequences (bass), S&C (chords) and PolyStep (riff / melody) for all of them to be transposed the same way, so you can easily make chord progressions that way...

Sure, you obviously can do all of this without using any Player device, especially if you can just sit down & play what you have in your head. But for everyone else this can be a good way to get inspiration, be pushed in avenues normally not visited or help get out of writer's block.

So yeah, it's very different from S&C, but - like that device - it's not necessary and just a tool that can help in certain situations.
Thank you for the explanation! I'll have to take it for a test drive and see what I come up with!

Cheers

Craig

mon

06 Jun 2019

06 Jun 2019
...I certainly wouldn't want it to look like that Butch Vig Vocals interface. Jesus....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Information