Propellerheads PolyStep Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
motuscott

05 Jun 2019

Just my impression. I don't have facts.
[/quote]

Lack of facts isn't holding anyone else back in today's fast paced world.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

djadalaide

05 Jun 2019

This is so good.

I don't judge a device until i actually try it.

And this one does not disappoint, i just drew some lines, moved them around played with some repeat settings, did it 4 times, came up with this in about 5 minutes.

- and that is only one of the 8 patterns available doing this..

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

motuscott wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Loque wrote: Just my impression. I don't have facts.
Lack of facts isn't holding anyone else back in today's fast paced world.
Neither are overwhelming facts, sadly.
But that's another topic..

Also, many people lack the ability to read something tongue-in-cheek, like Loque's comment clearly was
Last edited by diminished on 05 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

05 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Also, many people lack the ability to read something tongue-in-cheeck, like Loque's comment clearly was
I'm sorry, but how is "Panda is working at PH now." tongue in cheek?

Panda could very well have been employed by PH but there was no way of knowing it until he himself chimed in. Before that, the quote above could well be stating of the truth that's known to Loque, but perhaps unknown for others, myself in particular.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

Here, let me help you:
Loque wrote: Panda is working at PH now. That explains why he doesnt release new stuff :-P
:-P
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

stxlm

05 Jun 2019

"Hey guys! I have an idea for creating revenue from a function that every major DAW has!"

"And let's make it really awkward, too, since no one ever wanted to make multi bar melodies or chord progressions!"

"What's that? Pattern chaining? Great idea! Let's make that into a separate revenue stream in two years!"

Jmax

05 Jun 2019

88 bucks CND...no thanks. Think I'll pass and use that thing called the sequencer.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Jun 2019

Aaaa@aaaaaaAaaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fraxis

05 Jun 2019

Would have loved it to show 16 notes/lanes, and not 15. It could then have also been used as a single device drum sequencer for instruments like Kong, with all instruments in view on the grid. Odd choice when there is easily room for 16 lanes in the design. Or vertical zoom would have done, but it doesn't look like that's there either.

Also, I am not at home to try it yet, but can you see the individual numerical velocity and CV values when you adjust them, or is it just guesswork when changing the bar heights?

antic604

05 Jun 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Here, let me help you:
Loque wrote: Panda is working at PH now. That explains why he doesnt release new stuff :-P
But that can only be taken as tongue-in-cheek if the recipient knows for a fact that Panda doesn't work at PH. If to the recipient it might be the truth he's not aware of, then that's just a logical statement of fact :)

But OK, let's talk about the device instead?

Anyone's willing to compare features against Sequences? Or Step Note Recorder? Or Konpulsion? Seems to me like this is the ultimate MIDI sequencer :)
Last edited by antic604 on 05 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

future-bit

05 Jun 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

05 Jun 2019

antic604 wrote:
05 Jun 2019
diminished wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Here, let me help you:

But that can only be taken as tongue-in-cheek if the recipient knows for a fact that Panda doesn't work at PH. If to the recipient it might be the truth he's not aware of, then that's just logical.

But OK, let's talk about the device instead?

Anyone's willing to compare features against Sequences? Or Step Note Recorder? Or Konpulsion? Seems to me like this is the ultimate MIDI sequencer :)
Back to the topic of this thread: Why does Panda does not release new stuff?

Oh wait...the thread was...one moment...i got it: "PH (with Panda) released a Poly Sequencer RE."

Looks really cool. Anyone tried?
Reason12, Win10

Loque

05 Jun 2019

future-bit wrote:
05 Jun 2019
16 steps? It is not enough. No, thanks. RB Sequences has 32 steps and a convenient pianoroll.
Good spot. 1:0 for RB.

But PH has CV. It has CVVVVVVVeeeehhhh!!! So i guess it is 1:1.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

05 Jun 2019

future-bit wrote:
05 Jun 2019
16 steps? It is not enough. No, thanks. RB Sequences has 32 steps and a convenient pianoroll.
You can chain four 16-step long (completely independent, if need be) "variations" in one pattern for 64 steps / pattern :)

2chris

05 Jun 2019

rcbuse wrote:
05 Jun 2019
antic604 wrote:
05 Jun 2019

Well, we know he does stuff for them, but we don't know if he works FOR Propellerhead (as in "is an employee").
Helping out with just the code.. like the QNG, the props did all the actual RE design, graphics, promotion, etc.
Just the code? You sell yourself short my friend. Props owe you a job or a nice revenue cut, because some of your stuff is literally the best they have in the store for midi related RE.

esselfortium

05 Jun 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
05 Jun 2019
8 clicks to draw 4 notes = matrix is still the king
If you hold the control key, it's only one click to draw a note :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

antic604

05 Jun 2019

2chris wrote:
05 Jun 2019
rcbuse wrote:
05 Jun 2019

Helping out with just the code.. like the QNG, the props did all the actual RE design, graphics, promotion, etc.
Just the code? You sell yourself short my friend. Props owe you a job or a nice revenue cut, because some of your stuff is literally the best they have in the store for midi related RE.
You do understand Panda gets a cut of his RE sales (60-70% if I'm not mistaken?) and he was obviously compensated for coding QNG and PolyStep, even though he described his role as modest "help with code"? :)

QVprod

05 Jun 2019

Ermitage wrote:
05 Jun 2019
QVprod wrote:
05 Jun 2019
I feel like I keep correcting this. Every RE that has been bundled with a Reason upgrade (except Radical Piano as a special case) was already offered for free for current users upon release. That includes Pulsar, Synchronous, Audiomatic, and the Softube amps. Following that pattern, Drum Sequencer just might be added since that was offered free in the future as well. No other paid release has ever been included except as promotions for new users buying the full version (not upgrade).
Except there's no precedent for this as all of those are either Audio effects/instruments/utilities while this is a MIDI effect.
:?: Not understanding why the type of device would change a behavior pattern that already exists across multiple device types.
guitfnky wrote:
05 Jun 2019

yep, and how long had Radical Piano been out before they included it in R10?

people act like they’re getting shafted for the silliest reasons. woe is me, the most downtrodden consumer of DAWs!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

Sorry for being a total downer here, but honestly, I'm not too sold on devices like this. Imo you'll be much better off by learning some basics about scales/modes, chords, how chord progressions work. It will free you up musically instead of having to rely on crutches like these. Yes it will take a little more effort but it's not that complicated. And you'll be able to use that knowledge for the rest of your musical life. And it doesn't cost anything.

The demos sound "ok", but I can't help but feel like most of the chords/arpeggios have been put there by a, well some sort of chord sequencer, which is fine if you dig that sound. But to me it just doesn't sound that natural or that each note choice has been put there deliberately. Or if it's not the note choice problem it's that it sounds stiff, like a machine is playing it.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Sorry for being a total downer here, but honestly, I'm not too sold on devices like this. Imo you'll be much better off by learning some basics about scales/modes, chords, how chord progressions work. It will free you up musically instead of having to rely on crutches like these. Yes it will take a little more effort but it's not that complicated. And you'll be able to use that knowledge for the rest of your musical life. And it doesn't cost anything.

The demos sound "ok", but I can't help but feel like most of the chords/arpeggios have been put there by a, well some sort of chord sequencer, which is fine if you dig that sound. But to me it just doesn't sound that natural or that each note choice has been put there deliberately. Or if it's not the note choice problem it's that it sounds stiff, like a machine is playing it.
I agree but it's less of a problem once you send midi to track and randomize note on, velocity etc. and add shuffle.
I consider this RE a sketching pad for songwriting. Huge bonus points for the occasional arp and strum you can put effortless in there.
I resisted buying all of PHs recent devices, but this one might be an exception.

antic604

05 Jun 2019

Ok, after reading the manual I've three things to say:
1) This is Matrix on steroids, acid & crack combined
2) I feel sorry for Robotic Bean's Sequences, because every feature I dreamed will be added there in the future versions is already here + few things I couldn't even conceive I'd want!
3) It's time for PH to open a central market for 2nd hand REs (where devs & PH would still get a cut from sale)...

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

And: yeah, deep down I wish this was all part of an improved native sequencer.

hurricane
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

I know they say that devices like these are also for people that know theory because perhaps it might help you come up with things you wouldn't normally create, but anyone who has a legit musical background and knows how to play will look at this and immediately think "it would be so much faster to just play it in/I don't understand how this is helpful/this is taking way too much time". These devices, in my opinion, area all about making music-making more accessible to people who aren't traditional musicians, which seems to be Propellerhead's thing ever since Verdane took over. I find it all quite boring and elementary, but I can see why they're doing it.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

05 Jun 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
05 Jun 2019
Sorry for being a total downer here, but honestly, I'm not too sold on devices like this.
You're probably a person, who can quickly translate what they have in their head (musically :) ) into actual notes & sounds. But many of us - myself included - aren't like that. We usually stumble via trial-and-error until we find a creative spark, upon which we can build stuff up. Listening critically to music for over 30 years I know what sounds good and can - given time - replicate any complex melody or chord progression, but it's - like I said - a process of guided trial-and-error and redundant approximation of what I hear in my head.

And sure, I could probably learn theory and learn to play an instrument. But my music doesn't really require that, nor do I have the time for it (it's just a hobby I can pursue when I'm not falling on my face after 10-12h of work and 2-4h with the kids & wife). That's where tools like this come in! I can put few notes (or have them randomized for me) not caring about sticking to key & scale, I can add chords, arps, repeats, randomisation; make variations and then transpose this however I want with a single key. That IS brilliant for me. And whether it sounds like it was created by cheap Casio keyboard or is more complex, personal and actually inventive depends on how much work I put. The tool is there for me.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Jun 2019

Has anyone tried to see if you can make it work with out of key chords, say a Cm7 followed by a Em7 while the rest is in C minor. Set it to Chromatic to enter the Em7? But what happens if you turn it back to C minor scale, will the Em7 be changed.
Or if you want a more exotic out of scale jazzy chord?

Is it better than Captain Chord ($79), or Intuitive Audio Chord Composer (recently $44)?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information