Breaking Newsflash: Selig Leveler and DeEsser are brilliant

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jzquantum

31 May 2019

I just wanted to come here to say that I just discovered the Selig leveler and deesser. How I got this far without these 2 tools is a mystery. I love how I can now get every word of my vocals to be heard regardless of the dynamics or mood with the leveler. The ability to exactly control the sibilance is brilliant. I can even send it to a different mix channel and eq/volume automate/level them as I choose! I love being able to separately EQ the non-sibilant vocals with higher shelf EQ for more clarity in the mix and then leave the sibilant words totally unaffected by EQ. Brilliant!

Are these VSTs now? If not, why not? Every DAW should be able to use these great tools. :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

31 May 2019

jzquantum wrote:
31 May 2019
I just wanted to come here to say that I just discovered the Selig leveler and deesser. How I got this far without these 2 tools is a mystery. I love how I can now get every word of my vocals to be heard regardless of the dynamics or mood with the leveler. The ability to exactly control the sibilance is brilliant. I can even send it to a different mix channel and eq/volume automate/level them as I choose! I love being able to separately EQ the non-sibilant vocals with higher shelf EQ for more clarity in the mix and then leave the sibilant words totally unaffected by EQ. Brilliant!

Are these VSTs now? If not, why not? Every DAW should be able to use these great tools. :thumbs_up:
Congrats on discovering these little known gems. Even since Reason started to support VST, Selig's DeEsser is still my go-to de-esser. No VST's yet. Not sure if Selig plans to do them or not. It's been a hot minute (many years) since he released the RE's, though, so probably not.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jzquantum

31 May 2019

[/quote]

Congrats on discovering these little known gems. Even since Reason started to support VST, Selig's DeEsser is still my go-to de-esser. No VST's yet. Not sure if Selig plans to do them or not. It's been a hot minute (many years) since he released the RE's, though, so probably not.
[/quote]

Thanks. I would think another company would have approached him to take it to VST/AU by now. I have not seen too many products, if any, that make the same claims and do the same job as Selig's.

boingy

31 May 2019

Can't speak for the de-esser but for Leveller "Upwards compression" is what you are talking about.

Xfer Records OTT is a VST that does the same thing. And it's *very* good value...

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... r/3140-OTT

I'm thinking that this might be why Leveller is not also a VST.

jzquantum

31 May 2019

boingy wrote:
31 May 2019
Can't speak for the de-esser but for Leveller "Upwards compression" is what you are talking about.

Xfer Records OTT is a VST that does the same thing. And it's *very* good value...

Ahh, I see. Thanks.

Loque

31 May 2019

boingy wrote:
31 May 2019

Maybe i am doing something wrong, but never had good results with this thing. Dunno why so many ppl love it. I still prefere Leveler, DYN4 and FabFilter stuff...
Reason12, Win10

jzquantum

31 May 2019

Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
boingy wrote:
31 May 2019

Maybe i am doing something wrong, but never had good results with this thing. Dunno why so many ppl love it. I still prefere Leveler, DYN4 and FabFilter stuff...
The way I use it is kind of subjective but it usually works for me. I visually look for the highest peak in the waveform and let the leveler tell me the value. I set that value on the round knob on the far left. Then I reset the meter and visually look for the smallest peak that coincides with the vocals I like, usually the last word of a phrase. Then math is involved. If the highest peak was -12 and the lowest was -20, then I set the horizontal slider to +8. -12 - (-20) = 8

Then to visually confirm what I hear, I print the output to a new track by using the "rec source" button in the rack view.

I usually keep the printed version I like and then delete the leveler from my project. I see using it as "starting fresh" with the vocals I should have recorded in the first place.

I get no change in the noise floor from the leveler which is great.

Hope that helps.

Loque

31 May 2019

jzquantum wrote:
31 May 2019
Loque wrote:
31 May 2019

The way I use it is kind of subjective but it usually works for me. I visually look for the highest peak in the waveform and let the leveler tell me the value. I set that value on the round knob on the far left. Then I reset the meter and visually look for the smallest peak that coincides with the vocals I like, usually the last word of a phrase. Then math is involved. If the highest peak was -12 and the lowest was -20, then I set the horizontal slider to +8. -12 - (-20) = 8

Then to visually confirm what I hear, I print the output to a new track by using the "rec source" button in the rack view.

I usually keep the printed version I like and then delete the leveler from my project. I see using it as "starting fresh" with the vocals I should have recorded in the first place.

Hope that helps.
Maybe i was not precise enough. I cant get anything usefull out of OTT.
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2019

I think Logue was talking about ott. Leveler is not at all the same thing, except they are both based on upwards compression as a starting point. Leveler only lifts audio within a certain range, leaving everything below alone. Also can be set to ignore peaks and a few other tricks other devices simply cannot do. But I’m biased, as the creator of the device! 😜
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

31 May 2019

selig wrote:
31 May 2019
But I’m biased, as the creator of the device! 😜
Serious question: any plans to update DeEsser or Leveler with a new fancy coat of paint? I'm thinking fancy LED meters that show more bling, like this:

cool_meters.JPG
cool_meters.JPG (47.95 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

..or maybe real time waveform display? I know the RE SDK is limited in what can be done graphically, but always worth a shot asking.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

31 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019
selig wrote:
31 May 2019
Serious question: any plans to update DeEsser or Leveler with a new fancy coat of paint? I'm thinking fancy LED meters that show more bling, like this:

cool_meters.JPG

..or maybe real time waveform display? I know the RE SDK is limited in what can be done graphically, but always worth a shot asking.
Please dont!
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

31 May 2019

Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
Please dont!

Why?

Loque

31 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019
Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
Please dont!

Why?
your example GUI looks awfull, sorry...
Reason12, Win10

jzquantum

31 May 2019

Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
Maybe i was not precise enough. I cant get anything usefull out of OTT.
[/quote]

Ahh, I missed your point, sorry. Got it now.

EnochLight

31 May 2019

Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019

Why?
Hmmm... I think it looks sweet. Oh well.. :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

31 May 2019

I cannot wait for them to go on sale 🤑

dvdrtldg

31 May 2019

jzquantum wrote:
31 May 2019
Loque wrote:
31 May 2019

Hope that helps.
This is pretty much how I use it too, but I have to say the process would be much easier if Reason displayed a really good, detailed, properly scalable audio waveform

selig
RE Developer

31 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019
selig wrote:
31 May 2019

Have you been spying on me?!? I’m currently beginning work on a re-design for the first three Selig products, inspired by a desire to update the peak/hold meters with an extra decimal point resolution (using a custom display). The Leveler was alway intended to have a scrolling audio display, but SDK1 didn’t allow anything that fancy. I can also add “auto-target” and “auto-curve” functions using custom displays (also an originally intended feature).

Will probably go with a flatter UI because I’ll need to use custom displays for all the controls to get the “auto” functions to work (not to be “trendy”, if only because that trend has come and gone!).

I welcome any feedback/suggestions - but please be aware this won’t happen any time soon, as I am in the very early stages of planning at present. Sorry, but I don’t see any way to incorporate the displays you suggested, at least at first glance. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

jzquantum

31 May 2019

Selig,

Why don't you take these products to VST? Costs more to develop I suppose but you'd have a bigger customer base.

esselfortium

31 May 2019

selig wrote:
31 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019

Have you been spying on me?!? I’m currently beginning work on a re-design for the first three Selig products, inspired by a desire to update the peak/hold meters with an extra decimal point resolution (using a custom display). The Leveler was alway intended to have a scrolling audio display, but SDK1 didn’t allow anything that fancy. I can also add “auto-target” and “auto-curve” functions using custom displays (also an originally intended feature).

Will probably go with a flatter UI because I’ll need to use custom displays for all the controls to get the “auto” functions to work (not to be “trendy”, if only because that trend has come and gone!).

I welcome any feedback/suggestions - but please be aware this won’t happen any time soon, as I am in the very early stages of planning at present. Sorry, but I don’t see any way to incorporate the displays you suggested, at least at first glance. :)
Great news, I look forward to it whenever it's finally ready!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Boombastix
Competition Winner

31 May 2019

selig wrote:
31 May 2019
Add LUFS to the Gain?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MannequinRaces

01 Jun 2019

Loque wrote:
31 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
31 May 2019

Why?
I agree with Loque. Selig’s products are great how they are.

mon

01 Jun 2019

I love all of the Selig REs. The only one I don’t have is the Deesser, which I am sure is also excellent. I just don’t work with vocals. Coloring EQ also deserve to be mentioned. For me it is the best EQ in RE format.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

EnochLight

01 Jun 2019

selig wrote:
31 May 2019

Dude - everything you've just described sounds awesome!

selig
RE Developer

06 Jun 2019

jzquantum wrote:
31 May 2019
Selig,

Why don't you take these products to VST? Costs more to develop I suppose but you'd have a bigger customer base.
I've been hoping to do this for years, but our current dev team doesn't have the time or experience to do so, and to date I've been unable to find alternatives. So it's not for a lack of wanting to do so!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information