CV Note + CV Gate from sequencer MIDI

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Magnus

30 May 2019

From the A-List Guitarist Manuals: "The CV/Gate input on the rear panel of the A-List Guitarists allow for triggering individual slices of which are laid out across the note range. You can use this feature to create your own phrases by triggering "slices" (which are individual strums extracted from the original performance)."

This is great but I can only seem to trigger CV Note and Gate from a Matrix or an RPG-8 which limits my timing options (either very swung or hard quantized!). I would ideally like to trigger them with MIDI notes from the actual Sequencer so then I can use my own timing and even ReGroove to create nice groovy strumming patterns.

I'm assuming this can't be done out of the box using stock devices (although I would love to be told otherwise!). As such, is there an RE that can have a MIDI lane in the sequencer as input and then outputs the equivalent CV Note and CV Gate outputs at the back of its Rack counterpart device; allowing them to be fed into the back of the A-List Guitarist unit? I've tried searching in the shop but can't find anything...

Any ideas?

EpiGenetik

30 May 2019

Magnus

30 May 2019

EpiGenetik wrote:
30 May 2019
Not 100% sure, but this might work :)

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... converter/
Thanks! I already found that but the problem is I'm on Reason 8 so can't buy that newer Rack Extension.

I'm wondering if Thor has a way to convert MIDI notes from the sequencer into CV Notes and Gates?
Last edited by Magnus on 30 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

mjxl

30 May 2019

Dang, was going to recommend Europa. But 8 ..

Thor should be able to do it aswell i guess :) !

EpiGenetik

30 May 2019

Magnus wrote:
30 May 2019
From the A-List Guitarist Manuals: "The CV/Gate input on the rear panel of the A-List Guitarists allow for triggering individual slices of which are laid out across the note range. You can use this feature to create your own phrases by triggering "slices" (which are individual strums extracted from the original performance)."

This is great but I can only seem to trigger CV Note and Gate from a Matrix or an RPG-8 which limits my timing options (either very swung or hard quantized!). I would ideally like to trigger them with MIDI notes from the actual Sequencer so then I can use my own timing and even ReGroove to create nice groovy strumming patterns.

I'm assuming this can't be done out of the box using stock devices (although I would love to be told otherwise!). As such, is there an RE that can have a MIDI lane in the sequencer as input and then outputs the equivalent CV Note and CV Gate outputs at the back of its Rack counterpart device; allowing them to be fed into the back of the A-List Guitarist unit? I've tried searching in the shop but can't find anything...

Any ideas?
Just messing about with this a bit, and it seems to work in a different way from what I expected. The description to me suggested that it would be similar to the Dr.Octorex slice triggering, but it's not.

The CV controls the slice number and the trigger, but you still need the MIDI to determine the key - otherwise silence. It's a good idea but very different from what I expected.

You don't need any further RE's, although yes, using the above device with a dummy device might make it work a little better.

Magnus

30 May 2019

EpiGenetik wrote:
30 May 2019
Magnus wrote:
30 May 2019

Any ideas?
Just messing about with this a bit, and it seems to work in a different way from what I expected. The description to me suggested that it would be similar to the Dr.Octorex slice triggering, but it's not.

The CV controls the slice number and the trigger, but you still need the MIDI to determine the key - otherwise silence. It's a good idea but very different from what I expected.

You don't need any further RE's, although yes, using the above device with a dummy device might make it work a little better.
I wish they'd done it like that with, with MIDI a la Dr Octo Rex. But to make your own patterns you need CV Note and CV Gate. All the devices that do that output hard 16ths and I wanted to ReGroove my custom patterns instead. That's why I want to trigger the CV Note and Gate from the Sequencer.

Any further ideas?

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2019

Use RPG-8 with the arpeggiator section turned off!

Magnus

31 May 2019

buddard wrote:
30 May 2019
Use RPG-8 with the arpeggiator section turned off!
Great tip!! Thanks for that!

I'd already managed to make Thor convert MIDI to CV using its Modulation Bus Matrix but the RPG-8 method is quicker :)

• Information