UJAM / A-LIST - sequencer behaviour

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
retreed
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

Usually I would file this as a bug, but maybe I overlooked something in the concept.

Recently (also due to the contest) I tried some UJAM / A-LIST stuff and sometimes noticed an odd behaviour (for my understanding) when muting the devices in the sequencer. They still continue to play a pattern/note even when muted in the sequencer (not mixer!).

The attached example file needs "A-LIST Electric Guitarist - Pop Chords" RE.

1) Open file
2) Play the loop until "Funky Limit" starts and let the loop play another time.
3) Why does it still play something even thought he first half the loop does not provide any information in the sequencer?
4) Keep it playing and mute "Funky Limit" in the sequencer.
5) Why does it still repeat the same note now and does not silence after it played the note/pattern?

Changing the style phrases in the example does show the same result.
I know it has a defined "stop" included but should the device overrule the sequencer information at this point?
Attachments
a-list.zip
(170.76 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

diminished
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

retreed wrote:
26 May 2019
Usually I would file this as a bug, but maybe I overlooked something in the concept.

Recently (also due to the contest) I tried some UJAM / A-LIST stuff and sometimes noticed an odd behaviour (for my understanding) when muting the devices in the sequencer. They still continue to play a pattern/note even when muted in the sequencer (not mixer!).

The attached example file needs "A-LIST Electric Guitarist - Pop Chords" RE.

1) Open file
2) Play the loop until "Funky Limit" starts and let the loop play another time.
3) Why does it still play something even thought he first half the loop does not provide any information in the sequencer?
4) Keep it playing and mute "Funky Limit" in the sequencer.
5) Why does it still repeat the same note now and does not silence after it played the note/pattern?

Changing the style phrases in the example does show the same result.
I know it has a defined "stop" included but should the device overrule the sequencer information at this point?
You have Latch on.
Why it plays a note it has not played before though, I do not know. Maybe that was the last thing you played when you manually figured out the keys.
The thing with A-List and UJAM devices is that you always want to send them control data. To be on the safe side, especially when arranging and rearranging later on, even include stop data (C1, B3)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

retreed
Competition Winner

26 May 2019

diminished wrote:
26 May 2019
You have Latch on.
Why it plays a note it has not played before though, I do not know. Maybe that was the last thing you played when you manually figured out the keys.
The thing with A-List and UJAM devices is that you always want to send them control data. To be on the safe side, especially when arranging and rearranging later on, even include stop data (C1, B3)
You are right, the latch changes the behaviour completely. It is still interesting that it repeats the last note information / pattern all over again and ignores the sequencer mute logic that counts for all other devices. This is something one needs to get used to. Thanks for checking the file!

michael-ujam

28 May 2019

diminished is right, this is connected to the Latch function. It repeats the last input until a new input comes in.

We checked the Mute behaviour (also with other instruments) and it seems to be intended Reason behaviour to not mute a track as long as there's still something playing.

We hope you enjoy your A-LIST Guitarist.

Kind regards,
Michael

stxlm

28 May 2019

Any pattern device still runs when the midi track is muted, no? Not specific for A-List, afaik.

• Information